Reliability?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hey, all PB owners,

Have any you had any issues with your units?

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
Nada

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I've had mine for a couple of years, no problems

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011

chrisr

Member Sponsor
Aug 29, 2011
Chicago area
no problems. 5 years now.

Suteetat

Sep 3, 2013
Bangkok
I have mine for 4-5 years now also with no problem. The only potential problem I found was the power supply. PB specifically advised in the manual not to burn in the unit by running CD nonstop and to use computer or music server instead for that purpose. A friend who got MPS-5 and never read the manual went ahead and left a disc playing continuously and after a day or two, power supply broke. Whether that is a weakness or not, that's up to you, I supposed.

What's more impressive, PB came out with several firmwares since I bought my MPS-5. Some were just fixing bugs or for USB -X connection. 15 months ago, a new firmware really made a big improvement to the sound (PB did not say anything much about what was in that firmware but I heard it was adding apodising filter among other things). This morning, another email came advising a new 027 firmware. I just installed it and went through a few tracks and it sounds very promising. Seems to have more liquidithy and smoothness without any loss of resolution.
So PB went through significant upgrade in SQ a few times since I bought the unit and the best thing is that it is all free!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have mine for 4-5 years now also with no problem. The only potential problem I found was the power supply. PB specifically advised in the manual not to burn in the unit by running CD nonstop and to use computer or music server instead for that purpose. A friend who got MPS-5 and never read the manual went ahead and left a disc playing continuously and after a day or two, power supply broke. Whether that is a weakness or not, that's up to you, I supposed.

What's more impressive, PB came out with several firmwares since I bought my MPS-5. Some were just fixing bugs or for USB -X connection. 15 months ago, a new firmware really made a big improvement to the sound (PB did not say anything much about what was in that firmware but I heard it was adding apodising filter among other things). This morning, another email came advising a new 027 firmware. I just installed it and went through a few tracks and it sounds very promising. Seems to have more liquidithy and smoothness without any loss of resolution.
So PB went through significant upgrade in SQ a few times since I bought the unit and the best thing is that it is all free!

Good to know about the new firmware!

Suteetat

Sep 3, 2013
Bangkok
PS I hope the improvement I hear is not because it is now 7am Sunday morning so perhaps non of my neighbors are up and using much electricity yet. I am not in a habit of getting up early Sunday morning either but have to go in to work today :(

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
PB? I thought or maybe hoped this was a thread about Peanut Butter. I love PB!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
PB? I thought or maybe hoped this was a thread about Peanut Butter. I love PB!

I think they are talking about the Playback Designs machine. I love Peanut Butter too. I usually bring at least one Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich to work every week.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think they are talking about the Playback Designs machine. I love Peanut Butter too. I usually bring at least one Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich to work every week.

Really? :p

I'm a PB and Banana junkie myself, although a nice Strawberry Jam or Grape jelly does the trick as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing