Lamm ml3 with coincident pure extreme

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
http://www.avguide.com/blog/listeni...the-lamm-ml3-signature-the-lamm-ll1-signature

If you have heard Steve's LAMM/Wilson combo it is diffcult to imagine anything better.(Don't forget the JL Gootham.) And yet...

Hardly feint praise:'Posted by: Breuninger at 1:01 pm, July 29th, 2010

First Listening Alert!

See Intro Below.
August 10, 2010- after two weeks of burn-in the Lamms got a first listen. Mind you, this was day one and should be considered (very) preliminary.

The Coincident Pure Reference Extreme loudspeakers were placed in the exact position of the MBLs in listening room number one. Assisting in set-up was Robert Grossman of the Philadelphia Orchestra. We began experimenting with the toe-in of the tweeter/mid unit and within an hour the Lamms literally came alive. Now, I truly value the spaciousness of the MBLs and the rock hard slam at high SPLs they admirably deliver but I was unprepared for the astonishing realism of the Lamm/Coincident pairing. Grossman noted that this was the most realistic sound reproduction he’s ever heard. Instruments appeared in the room as if real, I kid you not.

This was the first time I’ve heard a tube based system not add its own brand of space, dimensionality or texture to the soundfield. In fact, there was nothing added to the instrumental image- it just appeared. Living and breathing- right there in front of you. How many times have I played Diana Krall, Live in Paris? I’ve worn it out- the same old sound, the same old performance. My goodness, last night I was at the Olympia Theatre in Paris, front row-middle seat, and there was nothing between me and Krall’s raspy/sultry voice. I’ve never heard reproduced sound, transcend reproduction, if that makes sense. Little cues, like Krall’s head turning, just a touch, in front of the microphone were now clearly audible. More memorable than the first IRS IV experience or Magico Mini revelation, this Lamm/Coincident paring takes the listening experience a giant leap closer to reality. There is no SET halo effect or cupping hands coloration to remind you that you are listening to an audio system.

How often we consider attributes to evaluate audio like; image density, timber and pace. Try as I may to use these tools during the first listening sessions I found, within a nanosecond, that I was not being drawn into the music, I was being tricked into a sonic reality. This will be an exciting review experience for you... and for me. Let me add, the Lamms, for the first time, are being evaluated on dynamic speakers that are actually designed for single ended triode amplifiers.

Attachments

• lamm1..jpg
    lamm1..jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 752
  • lamm2..jpg
    lamm2..jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 681
  • lamm4..jpg
    lamm4..jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 727
  • Pure_Reference_Ex.jpg
    Pure_Reference_Ex.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 641

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The review is out in the current issue of tas.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing