Rmaf 2014

valkyrie

Sep 12, 2011
Without touching on the politics OR the philosophy of the various members here - the fact of the matter is that as of January 1, 2014, smoking herb (weed, ganja, flower, whatever) is NOW LEGAL in the State of Colorado (though still illegal from the Federal perspective). People now openly possess and consume that most noxious of plants on the streets of Denver. Openly and in accordance with "local" law.

So; how do you folks think this will affect RMAF? Will attendance increase dramatically? (pot tourism) Will we see clusters of middle-aged white men of conservative appearance standing in the parking lot passing a joint? Will we see glassy eyed exhibitors? Will some attendees experience "brain lock" and sit for hours in particularly good sounding rooms? Will there be a run on Twinkies? (I think that little snack bar in the lobby will be sold out by 11:00 AM)

Do you think the "big time" critics will be indulging their "walk on the mild side" - will Valin get high? How about RH? (I say yes on Valin, no on Harley). How about our own Miles B. Astor (I really, really doubt that). How will this purported "enhancement of perception" affect their reviews?

Will the "straights" heave disdain on the benevolently blasted? Beat them from their chairs (that they have been sitting in for hours) with bad sounding power cords? Will the mood in the hallways be more mellow?

Will we see a glassy eyed exhibitor say, "aw to hell with it - its just marketing and voodoo nonsense - lets adjoin to the whatever room and spin some Zep"

Will the bar be packed at 11:00 AM?

Will everybody take themselves far less seriously? Reputedly that noxious weed does enhance hearing (of course I wouldn't know about that) but it also tends to take out some self-absorption, especially from the pompous and overbearing.

I know this - I am going - look for me in the parking lot - conservative appearance and old. Come on over and introduce yourself.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'm pretty sure it's still illegal to smoke in a public place or if you are under 21.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I smelled pot extensively at the San Francisco Stereophile show in the early 90's. Also, extensive tippling is SOP at any audio show I have been to. At CAS 2011, one of the vendors was drunk and smelling of alcohol in the early PM, and a lot of the older guys show "drinking facies". In Santa Cruz, legalization is almost an afterthought, because you smell burning hemp almost everywhere you go, whether you can identify the source or not, and a lot of young people are using those new glass pipes to smoke tobacco, pot or whatever while on the street.

It's none of my business telling people how they should listen, or under the influence of what, but as stated many times here, it does make you wonder how much of the audio commentary is made straight vs. stoned/inebriated. When I smoked pot in earlier age many decades ago, it does create a sense of wonderment and fascination around the music, but it is hard to determine if that really serves the music or not or the music just becomes atmospherics.

My hunch is that the attendees will be using neither more or less than they habitually do, and that the hotels themselves will bar a lot of public or obvious usage of ganja. Legal and respectable still aren't the same thing, and like with nicotine cigarettes, smoking around others and subjecting them to fumes etc. is just being a pig or inconsiderate.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I took some ribbing from people when I went to RMAF 2013 because pot had been legalized even though it wasn't available for legal sale at that time. Of course that distinction escaped the people who were ribbing me about going to Colorado for an audio show. I'm with Carl in that I don't expect to see people outside the hotel smoking pot or people inside of exhibitors' rooms smoking pot during the show.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing