Announcing the 3.7i

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
Magnepan Press Release:

Announcing the 3.7i

An improved 3.7 may come as a surprise given that the 3.6 had a 12-year run. But, this is unusual in other ways.

The changes did not require retooling or significant cost increases. It did not warrant waiting for a major product change as a 3.8. So, we decided to pass it on now.

Yes, it is unusual, and it is the first time in Magnepan's history that a speaker can be upgraded at the factory at a reasonable cost (details to follow).

But, what is not unusual--- we don't hype new models. Yes, it sounds better, but we leave that to you to describe.

Wendell Diller
Marketing Mgr.
Magnepan

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
Dear Dealer,
As you made the rounds at CES, how much would you pay for the sound you heard if you did not know the price and could not see the cosmetics? The press were challenged to guess the price of the Maggie system behind the scrim cloth. The winner would be the benefactor of the Mystery System to a charitable cause. Magnepan took it up a notch by also donating a new 3.7i.

We have no illusions, nor any desire to "convert" anyone from pure 2-channel audio, but the addition of the Tri-Center may surprise you as much as it did us. If you visit Magnepan, we'll want you to hear it with the 20.7s---the best 2-channel reproduction I have heard to date.

The Mystery System was all MMG models that retail for $2,375 which includes the Tri-Center configuration.

Wendell Diller
Marketing Mgr.
Magnepan

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/ces2014/ces2014_magnepan.htm

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
Has anyone heard a broken in 3.7i?

What is the audible difference compared to the 3.7?

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
I know that there has been quite a bit of speculation as to what Magnepan changed with their recent introduction of the revised Magneplanar 3.7i. The company has been quite secretive about exactly what the modification consists of, just claiming that it makes an audible improvement. I recently came across this press release regarding the 3.7i from the UK which I thought could clear up some of the confusion. You can see in the fourth paragraph that they mention a newly re-engineered time and phase aligned crossover. This type of change would be consistent with the requirement to ship the speakers back to the factory to have the upgrade installed and the cost of $500. Hope that you find this information helpful.

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
Also a visual comparison (with flashlight through the back) of the 3.7 Vs the 3.7i shows the addition of a long plastic sheet, backing the midrange panel, like some older models have.

The 3.7i is rumored to sound warmer in the mid frequencies.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

prerich

May 21, 2012
I listened to the 3.7i while visiting Jacksonville this past Monday. The 3.7i's are first of all - beautiful! However, can anyone confirm the narrow sweet spot with these speakers? I mean, the display had a small couch enough for about two grown men comfortably. Each of us heard the speaker closest to us predominately. I surrendered my seat and let my friend take the center of the couch and I sat in a chair directly behind him and the speakers came into immediate focus. The sound stage wasn't as large as I had expected. The room was fairly large and seemed to be well treated. Ayre monoblocks powered the system. Could the room treatments very well be blocking the back wave of the 3.7i's - making the sound stage smaller?

P.S. If any of you are in Jacksonville - check out House of Stereo! Some very nice people in there!!!

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
The sweet spot of large Magnepan's yields a listening spot of one or two seats. The speakers are like a large lens, and the sweet spot is the focal point. Clear focus in a small spot only, when optimally setup.

In the sweet spot, is the only place to sit, and get the full effect. That is the nature of all large panel speakers. The soundstage is large, but only when sitting in the sweet spot.

limniscate

Jul 16, 2016
I just sent my 3.7's back to Magnepan this week for the "i" upgrade and will report back when I receive them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing