Wilson Audio Celebrates 40 Years!

Brf

Sep 21, 2012
My guess - The Maxx series 2 since it had a significant x-over update.

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
My guess - The Maxx series 2 since it had a significant x-over update.

No, not Maxx series 2.

zbub correctly answered this question already (the winning answer is on page 8 :) ).

Don't worry, though. There will be MANY more chances to win this year. I post a trivia question with the Product Spotlight EVERY Monday for all of 2014!! :D

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
WEEK 14's Product Spotlight is:

***XS***

Interesting Facts:

• WA Started shipping XS in Jan of 1996. Over 75 of these massive 700 lb. subs were shipped out before Wilson Audio retired the XS in Dec. of 2005.

• Wilson Audio used the XS at 2 major shows:

* CES in Las Vegas in the late 1990's in a home theater application. Demoed short clips from movies including Jurassic Park and Apollo 13 (the lift-off scene).

* THE Show in Las Vegas in 2000 where the XS was paired with X1 Grand SLAMMs (used the Ultramaster in this set up as well).

• In 2001, the XS (with the X1 and WATCH System) received Reviewers' Choice: Edge of the Art (Soundstage)

Trivia Question:

Most names of Wilson Audio products are acronyms, or have a "saying" behind them (EX: Puppy - "a Tiny Tot's best friend" or "little woofer"). XS is NOT an abbreviation for anything.

Q: What is the meaning of “XS” or the reason why Wilson Audio named this product "XS"?

XS.jpg

XS-407115801-0001 resize.jpg

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
We have a winner for Week 14's trivia question - that was FAST!!

The correct answer was:

Because it is "Excessive bass" (Excess sounds like XS) :)

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
darn. I knew the answer as I owned one. I had a similar experience when the movers dropped the crate at my front door after telling me it would never get in my house. I didn't know what to do as the crate was probably as large as Noah's Ark. I phoned Wilson Audio, spoke to Trent, told him the situation and asked what to do. Trent chuckled a bit as I assume he had similar phone calls before. Without hesitation he suggested I call a piano mover which I did. They were there within an hour and had the XS out of the crate and up a 17 step circular stair case to my sound room in under 30 minutes. An amazing sub. Sometimes my house shook depending on what I played

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
darn. I knew the answer as I owned one. I had a similar experience when the movers dropped the crate at my front door after telling me it would never get in my house. I didn't know what to do as the crate was probably as large as Noah's Ark. I phoned Wilson Audio, spoke to Trent, told him the situation and asked what to do. Trent chuckled a bit as I assume he had similar phone calls before. Without hesitation he suggested I call a piano mover which I did. They were there within an hour and had the XS out of the crate and up a 17 step circular stair case to my sound room in under 30 minutes. An amazing sub. Sometimes my house shook depending on what I played

Did you feel that your 2 JL Gothams surpassed it in the end? I think I remember reading that somewhere years ago on one of the Forums. Also curious about what has happened with the design of theThor that allows it (presumably?) to surpass the XS despite its [relatively!] more demure size.

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
WEEK 15's Product Spotlight is:

***X1 Grand SLAMM Series 3***

Interesting Facts:

• X1 Series 3 started shipping in Jan of 2000, and the last one shipped out in September of 2003.

• X1 Series 1 and 2 could be upgraded to Series 3

• X1 Series 3 won awards including:

o 2000 - X-1 Grand SLAMM - Outstanding Floorstanding Speaker (Super AV)
o 2001 - Reviewers' Choice: Edge of the Art - Home Theater Speaker Category (SoundStage!)

Trivia Question:

X1 Series 1 and 2 could be upgraded to Series 3.

Q: What parts of the X1 did the customer/dealer have to ship back to Wilson Audio in order to upgrade the X1 to Series 3?

X1 Grand SLAMM Salt Lake Shot.jpg

lohbah

Apr 15, 2014
X1 Question Reply

That's a nice picture of the X1s. A friend of mine had a pair.

I think the answer is upper midrange module and x-over module behind the 3 upper modules needed to be changed for the upgrade.

WEEK 15's Product Spotlight is:

***X1 Grand SLAMM Series 3***

Interesting Facts:

• X1 Series 3 started shipping in Jan of 2000, and the last one shipped out in September of 2003.

• X1 Series 1 and 2 could be upgraded to Series 3

• X1 Series 3 won awards including:

o 2000 - X-1 Grand SLAMM - Outstanding Floorstanding Speaker (Super AV)
o 2001 - Reviewers' Choice: Edge of the Art - Home Theater Speaker Category (SoundStage!)

Trivia Question:

X1 Series 1 and 2 could be upgraded to Series 3.

Q: What parts of the X1 did the customer/dealer have to ship back to Wilson Audio in order to upgrade the X1 to Series 3?

View attachment 15237

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Sorry for the delay in response. The correct answer for the X1 trivia question was: The upper midrange module, tweeter module, and upper crossovers.

This question was correctly answered on Facebook. :)

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Week 16

Week 16 Product Spotlight is:

***WATCH Surround Series 2 (AKA WATCH Wall Mount)***

Interesting Facts:

• The WATCH Surround Series 1 was developed for home theaters to be used as Surround channels. Series 2, however, was developed to be used as full range (can be used for either 2 channel listening or as surrounds if desired).

• The WATCH Wall Mount Series 2 started shipping in October of 2007.

• There’s over 250 pair of WATCH Surround Series 2 around the world.

Trivia Question:

Q: Who is the owner of the WATCH Surround system in the attached photo? (Hint: This system in located in Utah ;) )

WATCH Wall Mounts Wilson.jpg

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Week 16 Product Spotlight is:

***WATCH Surround Series 2 (AKA WATCH Wall Mount)***

Interesting Facts:

• The WATCH Surround Series 1 was developed for home theaters to be used as Surround channels. Series 2, however, was developed to be used as full range (can be used for either 2 channel listening or as surrounds if desired).

• The WATCH Wall Mount Series 2 started shipping in October of 2007.

• There’s over 250 pair of WATCH Surround Series 2 around the world.

Trivia Question:

Q: Who is the owner of the WATCH Surround system in the attached photo? (Hint: This system in located in Utah ;) )

View attachment 15302

I'd say it's you Debbie. If not you, it's a woman because no man would decorate like that.

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
I'd say it's you Debbie. If not you, it's a woman because no man would decorate like that.

It's not my system, mep. :)

It is one of my parent's system's, actually (my mom is the one responsible for the flowers... I think... ;) )

Thank you for participating!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It's not my system, mep. :)

It is one of my parent's system's, actually (my mom is the one responsible for the flowers... I think... ;) )

I was close Debbie. It's all in the family.

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Week 17's Product Spotlight and Trivia is:

***Alexandria X2 Series 2***

Interesting Facts:

• Wilson Audio started shipping Alexandria X2 Series 2 in November of 2007.

• Alexandria X2 Series 2 has won several awards including:
2009 Loudspeaker of the Year (21hifi)
2009 - Editor's Choice Award (The Absolute Sound)
2008 - Editor's Choice Award (The Absolute Sound)
2008 - Outstanding Floorstanding Speaker - Elite (Super AV)
2008 - Reviewers' Choice: Edge of the Art (SoundStage!)

Trivia Question:

Audiophile Review had a list called "The 25 Ultimate Audiophile Speakers of All Time".

Q: What number was the Alexandria X2/X1 Grand SLAMM?

Alexandria X2 Series 2 Absolute Sound Cover.jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Week 17's Product Spotlight and Trivia is:

***Alexandria X2 Series 2***

Interesting Facts:

• Wilson Audio started shipping Alexandria X2 Series 2 in November of 2007.

• Alexandria X2 Series 2 has won several awards including:
2009 Loudspeaker of the Year (21hifi)
2009 - Editor's Choice Award (The Absolute Sound)
2008 - Editor's Choice Award (The Absolute Sound)
2008 - Outstanding Floorstanding Speaker - Elite (Super AV)
2008 - Reviewers' Choice: Edge of the Art (SoundStage!)

Trivia Question:

Audiophile Review had a list called "The 25 Ultimate Audiophile Speakers of All Time".

Q: What number was the Alexandria X2/X1 Grand SLAMM?

View attachment 15400

Debby,
An easy one

No. 4 Wilson Audio Alexandria/Grand SLAMM $158,000/pair
- See more at: http://audiophilereview.com/audioph...peakers-of-all-time.html#sthash.SrTXbcnk.dpuf

We had it at WBF
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?4389-The-25-Ultimate-Audiophile-Speakers-of-All-Time

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com

You are right! In fact, I believe you answered first before the others on Facebook! Email me at debby@wilsonaudio.com and let me know what you would like as a prize (T-shirt, Hat, or a couple coasters w/colors)

Debby

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing