Wilson Audio Celebrates 40 Years!

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
This year is Wilson Audio's 40th anniversary!!! It's SO exciting!

Most of you know that I run Wilson Audio's Facebook page. Since I know many of you don't want to touch Facebook, I thought that I could extend the celebration to you guys, too. (I have extended the same invitation to 1 other forum that has a Wilson Audio thread like here on WBF)

This is what I am doing on our Facebook page (will be all year long): Weekly product spotlight & trivia question (since we have produced 57+ models/versions over the last 40 years), contests, giveaways, etc. I will be keeping track of who answers the weekly trivia question first, and giving away some fun stuff monthly (shirts, hats, coasters, etc.) to those that answer the most questions correctly.

Yesterday I spotlighted the Series 1 WAMM by posting a historical photo of the WAMM series 1 with my parents, and asked a question (which turned into 3 questions - my mom threw in 2 bonus questions, and have offered an original autographed Wilson Audiophile CD or LP to each correct answer to the 2 bonus questions!).

Just want to celebrate this milestone with everyone by doing some fun stuff with you guys! :D

Would you guys like me to do the same thing here?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This year is Wilson Audio's 40th anniversary!!! It's SO exciting!

Most of you know that I run Wilson Audio's Facebook page. Since I know many of you don't want to touch Facebook, I thought that I could extend the celebration to you guys, too. (I have extended the same invitation to 1 other forum that has a Wilson Audio thread like here on WBF)

This is what I am doing on our Facebook page (will be all year long): Weekly product spotlight & trivia question (since we have produced 57+ models/versions over the last 40 years), contests, giveaways, etc. I will be keeping track of who answers the weekly trivia question first, and giving away some fun stuff monthly (shirts, hats, coasters, etc.) to those that answer the most questions correctly.

Yesterday I spotlighted the Series 1 WAMM by posting a historical photo of the WAMM series 1 with my parents, and asked a question (which turned into 3 questions - my mom threw in 2 bonus questions, and have offered an original autographed Wilson Audiophile CD or LP to each correct answer to the 2 bonus questions!).

Just want to celebrate this milestone with everyone by doing some fun stuff with you guys! :D

Would you guys like me to do the same thing here?

definitely here as well Debby

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Week 1 of "40 Years in 52 Weeks" Celebration!

History DVD004_2.jpg

It is only appropriate to kick off Wilson Audio's 40th anniversary product spotlight not only with the first speakers we built, but also to include the 2 wonderful people who brought them to you - David and Sheryl Lee Wilson!:

**WAMM Series 1**
WAMM photographed here was Serial Number 2 in a Walnut finish

INTERESTING FACTS:

* When the WAMM Debuted in 1981 the Series 1 WAMM sold for $28,000. It was the most expensive speaker at that time by $8,000. The second most expensive speakers at the time were the Infinity Reference Systems (IRS)

*There were 6 versions of the WAMM: Series 1, 2, 3A, 6, 7, and 7A

*Only 54 WAMM Systems were ever built

TRIVIA QUESTION!: (TRIVIA QUESTION WAS ANSWERED CORRECTLY ON FACEBOOK ALREADY, so no credit will be given for another correct answer)

Q: This photo was taken in November of 1981 at the WAMM debut. Where was the debut of the WAMM held?

** We threw in 2 BONUS questions, and they will be real brain ticklers (and non Google-able)**

These question come from my mom, Sheryl Lee Wilson. She has offered 2 original AUTOGRAPHED Wilson Audiophile CDs OR LPs as a prize to the FIRST person to answer correctly one or both questions correctly (1 CD or LP per first correct answer)

BQ #1 : At the WAMM debut in 1981 at John Garland Audio, Dave was asked many PURELY TECHNICAL questions. Sheryl, on the other hand, was only asked one question. What was that question Sheryl Lee was asked?

BQ #2 : What was the name of the person who asked the question to Sheryl Lee? (HINT: the person was a well-known speaker designer).

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Arnie Nudell

Nope :) Good guess though. Maybe I should post up all the guesses I have received to help you guys out. :)

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Answers received for the bonus question, but were incorrect:

Peter Walter
Jon Dahlquist
Leo Spiegel
John Bowers
Gayle Sanders
Jim Thiel
Henry Kloss
Albert Von Schweikert
David Wilson
Amar Bose
Richard Vandersteen
Peter McGrath
John Dunlavy
Siegfried Linkwitz

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Deb-I just have to say that I always thought your mother is a very beautiful woman. Your dad married very well.

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Deb-I just have to say that I always thought your mother is a very beautiful woman. Your dad married very well.

Well thank you! My dad has always told me that he is the luckiest man alive. Nothing pleases a child (at least for me)more than to see your father treat your mother like a queen - and he always has!!

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
BQ1 - What's a nice lady like you doing in a place like this?
BQ2-Paul Klipsch?

My mom I think liked going to dealer events and shows. She is very social and extroverted :)

Great guesses, but not the right ones ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Debby,

Will we have a question about who was the child suddenly deciding to sing during a taping session at Grace Cathedral? ;) This tape was a hit at the CES 1983 presentation of the improved WAMM.

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Debby,

Will we have a question about who was the child suddenly deciding to sing during a taping session at Grace Cathedral? ;) This tape was a hit at the CES 1983 presentation of the improved WAMM.

If you are talking about the female vocalist singing, and at the end was a baby that made an "ooooooooo" sound? That baby was my brother, Daryl, and the female vocalist was my mom. ;)

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
We have a winner to the second bonus question (was just answered correctly on Facebook)!!

The person who asked my mom a question was:
Brian Cheney of VMPS

The first bonus question had yet to be answered correctly (what question did this person ask my mom? HINT: it is a non-technical question that helped "break the ice" at this event")

I am thinking of either upping the ante, or giving a hint ...

Last edited:

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
John Marovskis

Already got a winner (posted it a page back) ;) Was Brian Cheney

You can keep guessing the question he asked my mom! :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing