Tube or SS phono stage? Vote for your prefernce.

Tube or SS phono stage, what's your prefernce?

• Total voters

mem916

Oct 11, 2015
One exception to this statement about tube phono stages not being suitable for low output MC cartridges is the Aesthetix IO phono stage. 80 dB of gain, no need for a step-up transformer. You must have excellent matched tubes in it to get the best out of it though (of course). I prefer vintage Telefunken 12AX7s matched for gain in all 8 sections of the 2 pairs of tubes in each gain stage. RCA 5692s work well as a substitute for the 6SN7. Currently I am running Amperex 6DJ8s. With the right tubes I have to stand next to my speakers to hear anything at all with the volume turned up to the loudest setting I would ever play a record at. I have the Koetsu Coralstone Platinum cartridge which I believe is rated at 0.2 mV output.

Last edited:

TUBEY

Mar 31, 2016
Although I own both types ( NVO SPA-II SE,NVO SPA ONE SE , BENZ PP-1 , Dynavector P-75 MK2 ) I have voted for tubes.
I know my tube phono preamps are more expensive than my SS , but I have chosen my SS after comparing them with other more expensive SS.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Tubes rule.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Typically, I would prefer tubes, but considering I leave my system on 24/7 these days, I'd be going through tubes like crazy. The little Lounge Audio phono pre that I have does quite good, a lot better than I was expecting. A rather full bodied sound with plenty of dynamics, detail and black silence.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I always had tube since 1990 like Be yamamura,jadis 200,Audiotekne,Uesugi,Shindo Petrus,Audio note M 10,now Kondo GE1,i know well Thoress,i never listen Allnic,
but when i try CH precision P1 i had a shock.
Much more dynamic,fast,details,bass control and sweet sound.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Which is tube, which is solid state?

• File 1 is solid state, file 2 is tube
• File 1 is tube, file 2 is solid state

"A sample from a famous jazz album, one done with tube equipment and one done all solid state. See if you can pick which is which, which one you enjoyed the sound of more or anything else you feel like adding. The levels are not perfectly matched, so feel free to do that if you wish. No cheating by analyzing the files in software."

- File 1
- File 2

_________

EDIT: That can help the few who are not certain to which between SS and tube sound they prefer.
Also, this particular post could be made as a separate poll thread. But I just don't know how to do that; I've never posted a single poll since the beginning of my Internet life.
And I also have never played a game of my life...like Super Mario, Nintendo, PS3, etc. ...Never. ...Not even tried for one second! ...Like some people never took a puff of a cigarette.

Last edited:

TUBEY

Mar 31, 2016
I'm not sure which is which,but I prefer file 1.It reminds me of my tube phono stages more than file 2 does.

zog

Oct 8, 2013
I voted SS because - as a generality - SS is quieter, especially if you can use an SUT. Having said that my take on the Tube -vs- SS is that it is nice to have tubes 'somewhere' in the system. Tubes have distortion (which is ok) but if you have tubes in all parts of the amplification - phono, pre, power then that is a bit much. I had a tube phono - the Fosgate Signature - but after getting a tube Pre - an Ayon based on the very tubey-sounding 6H30, I have gone back to a SS phono. The net result would please Goldilocks; not to warm, not to cold ... just right!

mem916

Oct 11, 2015
I would change my vote now that I have had an Aesthetix Io for a few months.

The IO is amazing. I've had it and the Callisto (line stage) in my system since 2005. With the right tubes you can stand next to the speakers and not hear a thing at 100 dBc at the listening seat volume settings. It took me a lot of work to get to that point though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing