Tube or SS phono stage? Vote for your prefernce.

Tube or SS phono stage, what's your prefernce?

• Total voters

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Shouldn't be a big surprise as Nick uses FETs as the first stage of gain in his phono section.

Mark,
OK, your answer showed first because I took a few minutes to take the photo and download it!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It might come as a surprise I preffered solid state. It is a very short list of premium preamps.
Frequency extensionnoise, speed , and gain
in the photo stage tipped the scale for me.

Last edited:

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
SS

I've been at this a while and I do have a preference, what's yours?

I have no dislike of the sound of tubes but I bought a SS Burmester 100 and I am glad I did . Tubes are good but can be a lot of trouble IMO

I gave tubes a lot of years I have gone to SS it is not likely I will try tube again.

DRC

Aug 21, 2014
Hong Kong
I am finding that tube is more life like but ss is higher in resolution and possibly spatial detail. I use each for different types of music personally and I like both...

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
There are quite a few good option for tube and SS.

My favourites would be.

Solid State:
FM Acoustics Resolution Series 223
Constellation Audio Orion
Qualia Indigo Reference
Boulder Amplifiers Balanced Phono Amplifiers
Vitus Audio MP-P201
Lyra Connoisseur 4.2P SE

Tube:
LAMM Industries LP1 Signature
Aesthetix IO Eclipse w/double PSU
Ypsilon Electronics VPS-100
Audio Research Reference Phono 10
New Valve Order SP-II
Counterpoint SA-9

Last edited:

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I like both and find it depends on the system also, I would ad the Burmester 100 phono to the list for solid state. Amazing phono and VERY user friendly with changes on the fly, I have tried numerous phono's in my system. I have it paired up with my Vac Sig MK2a pre and 450 Statement mono blocks, has ended my search :D

20141009_143737.jpg

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I just want to add that I have only listed the separate phonostages and not those integrated into a full function preamplifier.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
There are quite a few good option for tube and SS.

My favourites would be.

Solid State:
FM Acoustics Resolution Series 223
Constellation Audio Orion
Qualia Indigo Reference
Boulder Amplifiers Balanced Phono Amplifiers
Vitus Audio MP-P201
Lyra Connoisseur 4.2P SE

Tube:
LAMM Industries LP1 Signature
Aesthetix IO Eclipse w/double PSU
Ypsilon Electronics VPS-100
Audio Research Reference Phono 10
New Valve Order SP-II
Counterpoint SA-9

Roysen, That is quite a list. Have you heard all of those in your systems?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Not in my own system, no. Who would have a chance to do that?

Well I was just wondering. I've heard lots of phono amps, but few in my own system. I find it so difficult to identify what one component is actually doing in an unfamiliar system, that it would be very difficult for me to come up with such a list. I'm impressed.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Well I was just wondering. I've heard lots of phono amps, but few in my own system. I find it so difficult to identify what one component is actually doing in an unfamiliar system, that it would be very difficult for me to come up with such a list. I'm impressed.

Who said anything about unfamiliar systems.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Today i heard the vd hul The Grail phono stage(whether normal or SB ? i think it was the balanced version SB ) on a Ikeda arm and ikeda element(or it might have been a jan allaerts? ) on octave / magico S 5 s , sounded great very transparent very good phonostage imo , i prefered the ikeda combo versus the Reed arm / ZYX cart
BTW i wouldnt trade my current speakers for the S 5 , my latest designs surely came a long way, altough they have quite a different overall presentation:D

PS i d go for solid state , less chance of noise if money was no issue it would be a no brainer probably , Boulder 2008, the vd hul costs around 13000 euros not cheap apparently it runs also on battery

Last edited:

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
I am very curious as to this aspect of the comparison - MICROPHONY - a purely valve problem - especially given the fact that most people keep Hi-Fi in the same room they play music in. This is even worse for a phono stage given the amount a phono amp amplifies a signal in the audio chain - it is the single biggest piece of amplification in the chain, so any microphony will be the worst too.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
It's not purely a valve problem but SS devices are much less susceptible.

IME and measurements it is generally only an audible problem with a bad tube. Tubes were used in flight HW for decades, still are in many power stages, and seem to do OK despite the vibration...

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Is there a case that people go for phono amps that are engineered to sound tubey. I know that Tim de Pavaracini is of the view that there ought to be no difference - it's a matter of application. I have tested a Sugden phono stage and that was sweeter sounding than my old EAR 834P (which IMHO whilst modestly priced is one of the best phono stages for being musical and 3d sounding). I have pondered the re-introduction of an EAR 834p or another such similar phono amp - that said - rarely get the time to listen as muc has I can or want to.

Last edited:

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
This Poll is very difficult as its the Implementation that matters most.
Cost no object then Tube probably winns, but in a real world scenario i would have to go for Solidstate.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
In my setup with SET amplification and horns ss design gives better result, phono stage has to be quite and it really is.
Tom Evans introduced some time ago a new Lithos 7.4 Local Regulator Circuit and he claims over 108 db of signal to noise ratio.
I have his Groove + SRX mk2 with a separate PSU for over one year and this is an outstanding device imo . Tom adjusted it for my cartridge but one can do it by himself thanks to installed switches.
More info at Tom's website:

http://audiodesign.co.uk/styled-2/index.html

Last edited:

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Hi Marslo

I know that many people love 'the groove' but I, in my solid state system, found it a too in my face - that said that was a while back. Does the SRX add a little body to the Groove sound and calm it down whilst maintaining speed? In the same vein I heard a Groove with a Klimo Beltaine amp, and that was a very good combo - so it could well have been my system. My dealer, Les Wong, at Walrus systems said that if you use the groove with a fast high res amp like my lavardin it can be a bit overwhelming and too much - it was impressive but very tiring too.

thanks

Lohan

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Yes Lohan ,good integration of the setup is a key , I agree. I have not very much experience with other phono stages , TT is not my main source, digital is. The sound from vinyl compared to best files like dsd or hires pcm has more body an warmth , is more organic even with my Groove phono stage but as I said I have Ayon Crossfire , a SET amp. With Lavardin and other speakers it can be a bit different for sure.

Best
Mariusz

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing