Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing (Classic 200g)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
After my initial disappointment with the 200g Tubular Bells, and it's excessive level of noise, I was really hesitant about getting this pressing. However, I'm a huge fan of her music and I adore her lyrics. I think she's a very smart writer and her music comes across as very genuine to me. The music she creates matches those lyrics perfectly and her voice, while not of "diva" status in terms of range, is sublimely comforting and the third part of the whole equation.

This slab of vinyl has some serious low end, which really took me by surprise as I've never experienced that on her CD's. At first I thought...could this be a bad mastering job? Maybe the original LP release was found to be weak and they upped the low levels? I don't know as I've never heard her on vinyl before. Anyway, after listening to it now several times I think that it's just fine.

Midrange is wonderfully clear and natural sounding with good separation of voice and instruments. When she does extend her range and moves up there she does she very smoothly and there is none of that overly bright sound that female voices can sometimes project on certain pressings.

The packaging is typical Classic Records...nice fancy sticker, but no wow me aspect a la Mofi, who I think are the Masters at delivering really nice cardboard. ;)

This 200-gram slab of vinyl was quiet..and I mean QUIET! It is one of the quietest pieces of vinyl now in my collection. As soon as the stylus drops down on the record there is nothing...nothing but music that is.

It didn't come cheap, but it was very well worth the purchase. :D

Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing CR.JPG

etunes

Jan 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
Where did you purchase is this a current pressing? Glad you liked it. I'm considering it but very pricy. Thx for posting.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Where did you purchase is this a current pressing? Glad you liked it. I'm considering it but very pricy. Thx for posting.

It's not a current pressing and OOP, which is why I suspect the price is so high. I just checked and the dealer I bought it from is out of stock. I would love to find a copy of her Fumbling For Ecstacy LP as well.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
This album is so stunningly gorgeous for it's production, but mostly Sarah's very, very strong, if not brilliant, songwriting.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a digital counterpart?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Thanks for getting me to spend more money...

I still want a good digital rec for Surface is anyone has one.

I recently got Sony's K2HD version of Surfacing. It's a brand new re-release...I have no other info regarding whether it's remastered or what transfer or anything.

80ztraxx

Jan 19, 2015
any chance you'd know where I can currently find this?? Everywhere I'm finding it, it's for $200+. I just can't justify it! any help would be appreciated :)

80ztraxx

Jan 19, 2015
Any chance you would know where I might STILL be able to find this? I'm finding them for $200+, and I just can't justify that at the moment. Help would be appreciated... thank you!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
any chance you'd know where I can currently find this?? Everywhere I'm finding it, it's for $200+. I just can't justify it! any help would be appreciated :)

Try Discogs.com

It still won't come cheap though.

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich
This slab of vinyl has some serious low end, which really took me by surprise as I've never experienced that on her CD's. At first I thought...could this be a bad mastering job? Maybe the original LP release was found to be weak and they upped the low levels? I don't know as I've never heard her on vinyl before. Anyway, after listening to it now several times I think that it's just fine.

Midrange is wonderfully clear and natural sounding with good separation of voice and instruments. When she does extend her range and moves up there she does she very smoothly and there is none of that overly bright sound that female voices can sometimes project on certain pressings.

The packaging is typical Classic Records...nice fancy sticker, but no wow me aspect a la Mofi, who I think are the Masters at delivering really nice cardboard. ;)

This 200-gram slab of vinyl was quiet..and I mean QUIET! It is one of the quietest pieces of vinyl now in my collection. As soon as the stylus drops down on the record there is nothing...nothing but music that is.

It didn't come cheap, but it was very well worth the purchase. :D

View attachment 13207
Sweet album indeed! Highly recommended. Has anyone tried the Analogue Productions 45 180g release?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing