H3000 - unimpressed so far - what am I missing?

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
H3000 - how long is the run in?

I've got a H3000 that I bought it as a demo unit with 50 hrs on it and now have around 120 hrs.

Anyone care to share how long you had to wait for it to bed in, and the magic reveal itself?

Thanks
Andrew

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Have you swapped out rectifier tubes? I had a H3000v on demo...really wasn't happy...but had a bad rectifier...the sound was dull...no magic as you say...so could be a simple thing to fix...

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
Oh, no I haven't, will investigate - thanks for the heads up..

Ohh nice cart - don't see many Jan Allaerts around the traps....how do you like it cf the Atlas (which I have heard many times...)

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
The stock rectifier sucks. Look for a RCA 5U4G. They are not very expensive. It is the best I have found for my system. No need to tube roll any of the other tubes in the main chassis.

What cartridge are you using?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Oh, no I haven't, will investigate - thanks for the heads up..

Ohh nice cart - don't see many Jan Allaerts around the traps....how do you like it cf the Atlas (which I have heard many times...)

The Allaerts and Atlas are BOTH fantastic cartridges. The Allaerts is a real pain in the ... to drive properly. The Atlas is a breeze on phono stages....The Atlas is more demanding of the tonearm...

That said...the Atlas has more jump, maybe a touch more resolution. The Allaerts definitely has a thing with unraveling the instruments in space and portraying it's resolution more softly. Atlas you can't miss it's information...the Allaerts draws you in....it's all there...

Honestly, one isn't better...they are both world class....

Audioarchers point is a good one..I tried a few rectifiers...you can easily hear em...and easily improve on the stock....

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I've got a H3000 that I bought it as a demo unit with 50 hrs on it and now have around 120 hrs.

Anyone care to share how long you had to wait for it to bed in, and the magic reveal itself?

Thanks
Andrew

Looking at the rest of your system, it looks like your Spendor SA1's are not a very good match for your 70 WPC Allnic T2000 integrated. The Spendor's are very inefficient at 83 db sensitivity (according to Stereophile) and the impedance is far from flat. If you want good results with a tube amp you need a speaker with a fairly flat impedance. Otherwise the frequency response will be off. You might want to wait until you get your new MMMicro Ones. They may be a better match for your amp.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Looking at the rest of your system, it looks like your Spendor SA1's are not a very good match for your 70 WPC Allnic T2000 integrated. The Spendor's are very inefficient at 83 db sensitivity (according to Stereophile) and the impedance is far from flat. If you want good results with a tube amp you need a speaker with a fairly flat impedance. Otherwise the frequency response will be off. You might want to wait until you get your new MMMicro Ones. They may be a better match for your amp.

a Spendor hard to drive? not possible. ive owned all of the classic series speakers they're a classic match with tubes, if your amp cant drive them properly your amp has issues. from stereophile's SA1 measurements:

"Offsetting the Spendor's need for volts is its high impedance. Fig.1 shows the speaker's impedance and electrical phase, the former plotted on a wider 5dB/division scale rather than our usual 2dB/division. The sealed enclosure is tuned to 80Hz, indicated by the impedance peak of 46 ohms at that frequency. The impedance drops below 10 ohms only between 125 and 575Hz, reaching a minimum value of 6.2 ohms at 200Hz, but otherwise remains very high."

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
The stock rectifier sucks. Look for a RCA 5U4G. They are not very expensive. It is the best I have found for my system. No need to tube roll any of the other tubes in the main chassis.

What cartridge are you using?

LP-S

Thanks for the replies - will investigate new rectifier tubes...thanks

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
a Spendor hard to drive? not possible. ive owned all of the classic series speakers they're a classic match with tubes, if your amp cant drive them properly your amp has issues. from stereophile's SA1 measurements:

"Offsetting the Spendor's need for volts is its high impedance. Fig.1 shows the speaker's impedance and electrical phase, the former plotted on a wider 5dB/division scale rather than our usual 2dB/division. The sealed enclosure is tuned to 80Hz, indicated by the impedance peak of 46 ohms at that frequency. The impedance drops below 10 ohms only between 125 and 575Hz, reaching a minimum value of 6.2 ohms at 200Hz, but otherwise remains very high."

My experience as well...

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area

Fair enough. I have no actual experience with Spendor's. It did not look like a great match on paper to me.

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
The SA1's and a Leben CS 600 are a match made in heaven btw...abit like Leben & Proac Response 2 D's..

I do get moments of magic, but it is interspersed with some average performance. Figured it was a run in thing. Patience isn't my strong suit :rolleyes:.

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
The Allaerts and Atlas are BOTH fantastic cartridges. The Allaerts is a real pain in the ... to drive properly. The Atlas is a breeze on phono stages....The Atlas is more demanding of the tonearm...

That said...the Atlas has more jump, maybe a touch more resolution. The Allaerts definitely has a thing with unraveling the instruments in space and portraying it's resolution more softly. Atlas you can't miss it's information...the Allaerts draws you in....it's all there...

Honestly, one isn't better...they are both world class....

Audioarchers point is a good one..I tried a few rectifiers...you can easily hear em...and easily improve on the stock....

Ahhh - thanks gives me a good feel for the differences - as you say at that level there is no "bad" cartridge - just different flavours. Never heard a JA - they are rare here.

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
Update - I sold the H3000 - and the matching T 2000 Allnic amp. Perhaps it was just me, but I was distinctly unimpressed by the performance yielded by each.

ATM I am playing with a Devialet, and prefer the onboard phono to the H3000. It seems more dynamic, quieter and more transparent.

In any event, different flavours suit different folk..

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The Pacific NW Audio Society had a phono pre demo at the last meeting. The units were the Allnic H3000, Doshi, Lamm 2.1 and the Z-Infinity. I felt the Allnic was flat and too homogenized. It was alright, but not anything to write home about.

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
The Pacific NW Audio Society had a phono pre demo at the last meeting. The units were the Allnic H3000, Doshi, Lamm 2.1 and the Z-Infinity. I felt the Allnic was flat and too homogenized. It was alright, but not anything to write home about.

Yes...well Bruce...I wish I had heard it before I bought the thing. Unfortunately only one dealer here in Australia, and stupidly I trusted the reviews....I lost 3.5 k in a month.

I took my unit around to several friend's house's - it was seen off comprehensively by every phono it was put against, a Ypsilon SUT & Leben combo spanked it completely. I'll go further and say that a humble P75 mk III in current mode has more life to it than a H3000...seriously just don't get what all the fuss is about.

Build quality wasn't so great either - one of the XLR connectors pushed into the chassis when I was connecting it up, off came the bottom and to my observation the XLR connector was a cheap 50 cent plastic housing with a spring clip - horrid quality (and someone had had the problem before - the spring clip showed signs of a screw driver being applied). The aluminium housing was also less than inspiring - seriously when something costs north of 10k, you expect the build to be first rate. I like Swiss & German made things...

Just goes to show - never buy a product on reviews especially when the "reviewer" is selling the brand....

FWIW the T2000 was a very big disappointment as well, despite being 70 wpc it couldn't pull the skin off a custard - you really needed speakers in excess of 93 db for it to be happy. The Leben CS 600 was a much better amp, and cost half as much.

The Devialet is a MUCH better amp and phono, imho.

My 2 cents..

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Were they using the stock chinese rectifier tube in the Allnic? Even the Mullard G37 sounds like you're describing to me (I actually detested the Mullard in the Allnic). The best for the Allnic is the old RCA 5U4G (though know Albert P. uses a U52 or some derivative thereof).

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
Were they using the stock chinese rectifier tube in the Allnic? Even the Mullard G37 sounds like you're describing to me (I actually detested the Mullard in the Allnic). The best for the Allnic is the old RCA 5U4G (though know Albert P. uses a U52 or some derivative thereof).

Myles
with all due respect - you don't go spending 12k on a phono and have to go tube rolling to get it sounding half decent.....I mean really....

Reactions: Aj123

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

I believe the PS tubes were upgraded.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
The rectifier used was the RCA 5U4G. One factor that made a difference in our shootout was that the integrated amp used, did not have a real line stage built in. Which means that the overall gain was less than a setup using a separate line stage and amp. A couple of the phono stages needed the volume knob to be turned almost all the way up to get a decent volume. The Doshi had the most gain and had an advantage because of it. The results would have been a little different if we had used a line stage/amp combo instead.

Sounds like this could be the same issue with Drunkenrabbit's setup. Not enough overall gain.

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
Sounds like this could be the same issue with Drunkenrabbit's setup. Not enough overall gain.

Nope - plenty of gain, it just wasn't very good.

Anyways it's gone, and I'm alot less stressed in consequence.

Cheers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing