Frugal Turntables you have experienced

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
I'll start....

Well Tempered Labs Simplex - around $2k.

A very "musical" table that easily competes with much more expensive decks: the arm is the most interesting part - a unipivot design that uses sand filled 10.5 tube attached to a golf ball that is suspended by fishing line from an overhanging pillar into a tub of goo (silicon bath). Has a fixed headshell position - all carts mount with the same geometry. Azimuth on the fly, which is good.

Fiddly to set up, once you dial it in correctly, it has a certain magic about it. Excellent speed stability. Excellent "flow" and "musicality". Very low noise floor and tracks warped records like a laser. Mates well to Dyna carts, but really is unfussy. I ran a xx2 into a Dyna P75 for a couple years with much success.

Weaknesses. For the price not much. Cheap build - looks and feels very "budget" - painted Mdf with cheap materials used throughout - parts total wouldn't be more than a couple hundred dollars I am guessing. You are paying for the engineering nous, not the materials used. The silicon "goo" is a nightmare to adjust to the right level (especially if you follow the manual) and once it get some on the deck you have much fun cleaning it off with lighter fluid.

Touted as a simple to set up deck, but I wouldn't recommend it for beginners, there is alot to get your head around and small changes in the amount of dampening (amount of goo and degree to which the golf ball sits in the goo) & VTA/SRA combo make a large difference to the sound quality.

I just acquired a very used (abused?) Simplex in part exchange for a Yamaha GT 2000 I had, and after a day nursing it back to health (and a good 1/2 day fiddling around setting it up correctly) it is singing along quite happily. Very different to the GT 2000 it is more relaxed, has a "flow" to it the GT 2000 didn't but is comparatively lazy on the leading edge. Stuck a Benz LP-S on it for fun, and it seems to be coping all right (although the counterweights needed some augmentation...).

I like the WTL sound, and have a Versalex arriving end of January.

Probably the first time a Simplex has sat on a FE Pagode MR as well...

Here are a couple shots of yon beastie:

2014-01-04 17.54.04.jpg 2014-01-04 16.22.24.jpg 2014-01-04 16.22.12.jpg

And this is what it replaced...28 kg of Japanese 1980's muscle deck, which was also around 2k imported from japan + another $280 for an outboard psu. Excellent deck as well although not as quiet as the WTL.

2013-12-27 15.39.45.jpg

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I'm a big fan of the Well Tempered labs arm. I have used a Black Special WTA arm with VDH wiring for a long time and still think it is a superb arm. I noticed that you have a dual weight system on yours ( I also have this). Seems like you have also added a little "helper".
I would suggest adding a third weight...I am pretty sure the arm can support it and that would work better with the LP-S. BTW, I do agree with everything you say about the set-up...it's not really for beginners. Plus, the arm doesn't stay in set-up for long..BUT you really know when it goes "off", and it isn't too hard to re-adjust.
The silicone dampening allows the cart to put a lot of energy into the arm and not increase distortion. A clever solution that I think the Basis Vector and a few others also employ.

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
Needs must Davey, needs must.. it is holiday season here in Australia and the chances of getting a dealer to pick the phone up is fairly remote - hence the $2 coin and abit of Blu Tac.

I reckon two of the heavier silver counterweights would work..

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing