LS50's Inbound - Need Amplification Recommendations

RDSChicago

Nov 12, 2013
My Kef LS50's arrive tomorrow. This is my first post!

I have the following amplification to drive them:

1) Denon 4311ci - 140 wpc into 8 ohms - fairly high-end Denon from a few years ago - can independently run the receiver as a 2-channel or 2.1 rig independent of my 5.1 setup.

2) Nad 2400 power envelopes (have a pair) - could be used standalone (100 wpc) or bridged with double the power, although I don't have a preamp

3) vintage 1980 Technics integrated amp rated at 100 wpc (using it to drive my Kef 105/2's) - this amp is an underrated beast - even with these Kef monsters I can't turn the volume knob past 10 o'clock without the room shaking

Which of the above three would work best with the LS50's? I would prefer the Denon for ease and simplicity as it runs my 5.1 home theater and is already networked so it could steam in my music on my Mac.

I have been hearing great things about these speakers with tubes. Was considering the Rogue Sphinx based on the positive reviews and moderate price. Does one get the special tube feel via the preamp having tubes? If not the Sphinx, what else would sound great without breaking the bank?

Your expertise and experiences with the LS50's and/or any of the aforementioned amplifiers, in addition to other amp recommendations, would be most appreciated.

Caveat: I lost my hearing in the right hear from an inner ear balance condition and have a mild loss in the left. I therefore listen at what most would call high volume levels. I posed this query to a speaker guru and he unsympathetically told me I should limit my listening to music with headphones, which I won't do as I have enjoyed listening in larger environments than between my ears for my entire 52 years.

Thanks for your ideas/suggestions.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Why not try all three combos? You can use the Denon 4311 as a preamp to drive the NAD amps. You can use the Denon 4311 by itself, an you can use your Technics integrated amp.

RDSChicago

Nov 12, 2013
Good thought. I will definitely do so but not certain how to connect both Nad's to the pre-out?

RDSChicago

Nov 12, 2013
Also the Nad's have input levels so I can run a source directly into them without needing a preamp. If I want to do this using both amps in bridge mode so I have 200 wpc going into each speaker, can someone explain to me how to set this up? Could this be accomplished without a preamp?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Good thought. I will definitely do so but not certain how to connect both Nad's to the pre-out?

I thought you were going to run the NADs as monoblocks?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Also the Nad's have input levels so I can run a source directly into them without needing a preamp. If I want to do this using both amps in bridge mode so I have 200 wpc going into each speaker, can someone explain to me how to set this up? Could this be accomplished without a preamp?

It can be done as long as you only run digital sources.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The Dennon will be fine.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing