Advice for a noob at turntables.

pipsy

Dec 30, 2013
I am just kinda getting into the turntable idea. I recently got a sony ps-lx300 which I am guessing is an okay beginner turntable.

So essentially should I get a phono preamp and ignore the one built in as garbage quality?

What kinda amp should I be looking at? speakers and so forth to actually get sound.... to be honest I am having some difficult finding a stero with even rca audio inputs. So does that suggests I need some kind of receiver and matching speakers? post examples... and try to overwhelm me with complex set ups or at least explain your set up so I could understand.

Also, if there are any decent sites with beginner info it would appreciated. Most I found were rather too general on exception to the maintaince of a turntable which I found an abundant of info on.

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

Thanks.

Added info: I was trying to keep budget in $500 range excluding the turntable. As to equipment I do have a Samsung ht-e5500 which would probably work and the turntable.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I am just kinda getting into the turntable idea. I recently got a sony ps-lx300 which I am guessing is an okay beginner turntable.

So essentially should I get a phono preamp and ignore the one built in as garbage quality?

What kinda amp should I be looking at? speakers and so forth to actually get sound.... to be honest I am having some difficult finding a stero with even rca audio inputs. So does that suggests I need some kind of receiver and matching speakers? post examples... and try to overwhelm me with complex set ups or at least explain your set up so I could understand.

Also, if there are any decent sites with beginner info it would appreciated. Most I found were rather too general on exception to the maintaince of a turntable which I found an abundant of info on.

Thanks.

First off welcome to WBF. This is the right place. You will find many,many vinylphiles here

Kevin Doyle

Nov 18, 2011
Pipsy, two thoughts:

1. I'm not sure if the Sony's built in preamp can be turned off, so you may have to use it with whatever you use for amplification. In any event, you will need a receiver/integrated amplifier and speakers. And it might be worthwhile to get one with a phonostage built in even if you can't use it with the Sony, in case you buy another turntable down the road.
2. Your best bet is to establish what your budget is for accompanying gear, in order that people can make suggestions. How much are you looking to spend on amplifier and speakers?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Pipsy,

I took the liberty of looking up the manual and you can indeed use either the onboard phono stage or bypass it. You can do so by flipping the switch to Phone (you'll be using an outboard) or Line (You'll be going into a line input of which you would most typically use AUX).

Going into an AUX just requires you hook up the RCA connectors to the appropriately marked inputs. If you are going outboard (PHONO), you will need an amplifier with a PHONO input. If your amplifier has choices marked MM and MC, choose MM because that is what your needle is. If the amplifier just says Phono, 99.999999999999% of the time, that would be MM so just use that. If you don't want to use a built in phono preamp in an amp, there are a number of standalone phono preamps out there. Just google Buy MM Phono Pre-amplifiers and prepare for the deluge of information. There will be a huge number of choices for any price range. :)

HTH

Jack

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hello Pipsy,

Jack gave you some very good advice.
I might add that you could look for a new receiver that has a phono input. I just acquired an Onkyo NR-818 for my HT set up and it includes a phono input ( phono stage) and will also feed up to seven speakers + subwoofer. ( if you want to do home theater). If you ONLY want a 2 ch stereo set-up, then this might be too much ( although it will easily drive two speakers), But it's an easy recommendation at a lower price point. Crutchfield are selling these on-line.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Reading about turntables is a start but I would highly recommend locating a dealer who can show you and help you set-up the table/arm/cart/phono stage. I would call VPI and ask for the closest dealer to you.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Reading about turntables is a start but I would highly recommend locating a dealer who can show you and help you set-up the table/arm/cart/phono stage. I would call VPI and ask for the closest dealer to you.

I respectfully disagree. Calling up a VPI dealer for help setting up a $128 turntable that he didn't buy from them is likely to get Pipsy insulted and turned-off for life. I don't think that there is much to set up in the Sony.

Jack gave good advice to get started already. Many of the Japanese HT receivers feature a phono input as DaveyF has already noted. That might be a good start. I don't know of any really good integrated amps at the under $500 mark. The best cheap phono stage I know is the Hagerman Bugle2 and that costs more than your turntable.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If it were me I'd look for a nice vintage IA that maybe has been given a good cleaning and some upgraded caps and stuff. Most of them have a fairly decent phono input and sufficient power.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I respectfully disagree. Calling up a VPI dealer for help setting up a $128 turntable that he didn't buy from them is likely to get Pipsy insulted and turned-off for life. I don't think that there is much to set up in the Sony.

Jack gave good advice to get started already. Many of the Japanese HT receivers feature a phono input as DaveyF has already noted. That might be a good start. I don't know of any really good integrated amps at the under $500 mark. The best cheap phono stage I know is the Hagerman Bugle2 and that costs more than your turntable.

I thought Peter was inferring he should buy a VPI table and to call up VPI and find out where the closest VPI dealer was.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I thought Peter was inferring he should buy a VPI table and to call up VPI and find out where the closest VPI dealer was.

The idea here is to get hands on advice (yes, I was inferring the above) and to start a relationship with a local dealer. BTW, the new entry level VPI has a built in phono stage and headphone amplifier.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The idea here is to get hands on advice (yes, I was inferring the above) and to start a relationship with a local dealer. BTW, the new entry level VPI has a built in phono stage and headphone amplifier.

I knew I was reading your mind Peter.

pipsy

Dec 30, 2013
Pipsy, two thoughts:

1. I'm not sure if the Sony's built in preamp can be turned off, so you may have to use it with whatever you use for amplification. In any event, you will need a receiver/integrated amplifier and speakers. And it might be worthwhile to get one with a phonostage built in even if you can't use it with the Sony, in case you buy another turntable down the road.
2. Your best bet is to establish what your budget is for accompanying gear, in order that people can make suggestions. How much are you looking to spend on amplifier and speakers?

Yea I probably getting a new turn table down the road. I was kinda looking in the $500 dollar range as I thought it would at least be an appropriate budget for kinda a small room setup, but, perhaps that is little under estimating for even that.... maybe.
Hi Pipsy,

If your amplifier has choices marked MM and MC, choose MM because that is what your needle is. If the amplifier just says Phono, 99.999999999999% of the time, that would be MM so just use that. If you don't want to use a built in phono preamp in an amp, there are a number of standalone phono preamps out there. Just google Buy MM Phono Pre-amplifiers and prepare for the deluge of information. There will be a huge number of choices for any price range. :)

HTH

Jack

Could you quickly distinguish between MM or MC or is this a topic that I could get good info off of google?

Hello Pipsy,

Jack gave you some very good advice.
I might add that you could look for a new receiver that has a phono input. I just acquired an Onkyo NR-818 for my HT set up and it includes a phono input ( phono stage) and will also feed up to seven speakers + subwoofer. ( if you want to do home theater). If you ONLY want a 2 ch stereo set-up, then this might be too much ( although it will easily drive two speakers), But it's an easy recommendation at a lower price point. Crutchfield are selling these on-line.

Couldn't find the NR-818 on the crutchfield site, but, looking at the amazon price I am thinking that maybe a little too much for budget at this time. I am fairly broke university student after all lol.

If it were me I'd look for a nice vintage IA that maybe has been given a good cleaning and some upgraded caps and stuff. Most of them have a fairly decent phono input and sufficient power.

I am assuming IA is a acronym for something?

pipsy

Dec 30, 2013

Sorry for the double post, but, I don't think there is any VPI dealers in the city that I live in. However, scouring the city to find a turntable store to get some hands advice is a least a good idea.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
IA - Integrated Amplifier.

mep

Apr 20, 2010

Thanks.

Pipsy-It would be helpful if you could tell us what (if any) stereo gear you currently own including speakers so we can help figure out what is appropriate for you with regards to your budget.

pipsy

Dec 30, 2013
Pipsy-It would be helpful if you could tell us what (if any) stereo gear you currently own including speakers so we can help figure out what is appropriate for you with regards to your budget.

Sorry, on my last post I realize due to some atrocious grammar I see that it might been implied that I want a turntable around 500 dollars. However, what I meant I was trying to keep budget in $500 range excluding the turntable. As to equipment I do have a Samsung ht-e5500 which would probably work and the turntable. I'll add that to my op.

BTW, I recommend Crutchfield to a noob as they have excellent after sale service and can easily help you with the set-up etc,.

Excellent, good to know I was looking at some of the stuff on the site and saw a few things that fit my budget.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Pipsy,

MM stands for moving magnet and MC stands for moving coil. MMs are what are typically used by DJs and entry level. They are easier to make and so they are cheaper. This doesn't mean however that they are generally inferior. MM has higher output voltage than MC as a general rule so the two have different phono amplification requirements. MMs being more common, you are more likely to find MM rather than MC phono preamplifiers built into receivers.

I like John's idea (Johnny Vinyl). I would go look for restored vintage integrated amps (those wood sided pieces with the analog tuners going across the entire front) like those from Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer. If you get a little deeper into it go perhaps for vintage tubed integrateds. I like Fishers.

If you like listening to rock, I'd recommend finding JBL L100s. Great for Jazz too.

All these were made in big quantities so you can easily find good examples for very little.

My friendly advice, ignoring specific recommendations, at this "getting your feet wet stage", just go for tone you like. If you don't like the tone to begin with, going for the other stuff will just be a drag IMO.

Again, HTH :)

Kevin Doyle

Nov 18, 2011
In the OP's shoes, I'd go for something like this:

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/tads-andrew-jones-designs-superb-sounding-budget-speakers-pioneer

I'd get the floorstanding speakers, skip the Pioneer amplifier, and buy a receiver (with a phono stage) that would allow easy integration of the subwoofer, center channel, and surround speakers if you chose to add them at a later date. A lot of receiver also have SPDIF/Toslink inputs so you could easily add computer playback without too much additional cost by using something like this:

http://us.hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

And you can probably go hear the speakers locally before deciding, as they're widely available in stores.

My default recommendation is usually NAD/PSB, but the Pioneer speakers are a good bet for staying under $500 with an amplifier.

EDIT: Sorry, but I missed the fact that you already had a home theater system. That being the case, it should have at least one analog input for you to use your turntable. You can use the built in phono preamp or just purchase a separate one if that's not to your satisfaction.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing