47 labs anyone heard their ware?

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
And now, to show I am unbiased, this Flatfish skips and stutters at times. Oddly, scratches or fingerprints are not the only causes. It will sail over some old shallow scratched CDs, but stutter on what appears to be a perfectly clean CD. I contacted 47 Labs, where I was told to send it in for an adjustment.

Most music goes through just fine.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
And now, to show I am unbiased, this Flatfish skips and stutters at times. Oddly, scratches or fingerprints are not the only causes. It will sail over some old shallow scratched CDs, but stutter on what appears to be a perfectly clean CD. I contacted 47 Labs, where I was told to send it in for an adjustment.

Most music goes through just fine.

Muralman1

So stating the faults of a gear you like makes you "unbiased"?:rolleyes:

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
Frantz, I say it like it is. Honesty is something that has been beaten into me. I hope to bring this system to an audio show sometime, with a perfectly running transport, of course.

Seta

Dec 7, 2010
Would love to audition the Flatfish, but seems out of my league. I recently found a nice pre-own Shigaraki transport. Will be making comparisons and report back!

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
Hi muralman1,

I never knew the flatfish could play all by itself. Your post seems incomplete. On another matter, if I may ask, do you paint murals?

This unit is from the first generation of Flatfish. They had a DAC on board. I circumvent that DAC in favor of my unique Audio Note DAC. What makes this Audio Note DAC unique are the three diode replacements. These ultra-fast recovery diodes allows all a CD's information through. No amount of silver can ever do likewise.

I am disabled.

Seta

Dec 7, 2010
Muralman1

I have a question on the transport. The place I am putting the Shigaraki on is not too far back from the speakers. I see that there are no dampening of the chassis what so ever and am a but worried of vibrations.
Have you tried any dampening materials on your FF like pods or feets? Does it help? Or should I leave it like it is? Just trying to get some shortcut hints here :)

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
My Flatfish sits on a wooden cabinet. The cabinet sits on a softwood suspended floor that shakes and bounces. As you noticed, the player is vulnerable to vibration if not shakes. I devised a devilishly simple solution. To create theatre sets quickly, one needs out of the box thinking. It is amazing how many solutions to perplexing problems are close at hand. My platform is granite topped over a squishy substance.

I sell speaker cables, and the vibration absorption platforms.

Seta

Dec 7, 2010
Sounds like a good platform.

The Shigaraki sounds excellent from the first spin. Bass extension is amazing compared to the Teac VRDS50 it replaces which is very ironic as I would have thought a very stable transport with extreme vibration damping and clamping disc like the Teac would excel in this area. I'm using an old Illuminati D-60 digital cable with it. Have you tried 47 lab's OTA for digital link?

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
Yes, the 47 Lab gear are phenomenal. I am a fan of Paul Speltz. His ICs just keep proving they do everything. I bought his 75 ohm digital cable. I have not compared it to others and I don't think I will. You see, the pull of the cables on that toothpick suspension will topple the player without painstaking balancing.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Seta,

If I may chime in, I have a full 47 lab digital system. I use the Ota cables for all interconnect links. I am very satisfied wtih the sound I am getting. The sound is very easy on the ears and I can listen for really long stretches. The main reason I feel this way is that the 47 lab gives the most liquid sounding digital reproduction. At times, I feel that I am not getting all the details but the liquidity is such that I don't experience any listening fatigue. The Ota cables are inexpensive and I think worth trying. If you don't like them, the loss is not big and you can use them as ICs or speaker cables for another system.

Seta

Dec 7, 2010
I just ordered a couple of anticables and anti-IC for for the Shigaraki as a center piece to replace my current office rig (my wife starts complaining at home). Building a custom AD1865 DAC for it. Will find amps, etc. Fun all over again!!!

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I swapped out the Flatfish feet with the Magico qpods and observed an increase in clarity.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing