New Dartzeel LHC-208

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com

BiggusD

Nov 10, 2013
It is very nice looking but why doesn't it have a pleasure control? What if I want more or less pleasure??? What then???

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
You do it on the touchscreen, by sliding your finger across that colourful bar :)

alexandre

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You do it on the touchscreen, by sliding your finger across that colourful bar :)

alexandre

Alexandre,

Although it looks to be a nice feature, it is not a pleasure control anymore - according to Herve a pleasure control should have no visible scale or display, your hears should be the arbiter! ;) According to the shown data it seems as powerful as the 8550. DO you know any details about the DAC design and implementation?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Alexandre,

Although it looks to be a nice feature, it is not a pleasure control anymore - according to Herve a pleasure control should have no visible scale or display, your hears should be the arbiter! ;) According to the shown data it seems as powerful as the 8550. DO you know any details about the DAC design and implementation?

The transformer is a little smaller on the LHC than on the CTH...
As for the DAC, Hervé's explanation flew over my head :) But it's an off-the-shelf chip, and I recall him mentioning the key aspect was his implementation of clocking.

alexandre

BiggusD

Nov 10, 2013
The transformer is a little smaller on the LHC than on the CTH...
As for the DAC, Hervé's explanation flew over my head :) But it's an off-the-shelf chip, and I recall him mentioning the key aspect was his implementation of clocking.

alexandre

I wonder if it is truly native DSD or that it just converts the DSD to PCM internally. I love the fact that it does DSD128 and DXD :) Seems to be future proof pretty much, though DSD256/512 and 768kHz PCM and 32-bit would be even better...

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Had a full day session with a pre-production version yesterday.

This product will selll like hot cakes at this price. Very analog sound in a complete one box solution. Looks slick, sounds superb an priced right.

Only one problem, first production run will be like 50 units ands there are firm orders for over 100 already. It will be quite a scramble to get one.

Release date is now a matter of weeks.

Me likey!

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

This product will selll like hot cakes at this price. Very analog sound in a complete one box solution. Looks slick, sounds superb an priced right.

Only one problem, first production run will be like 50 units ands there are firm orders for over 100 already. It will be quite a scramble to get one.

Me likey!

Serious competition for the various Lampizator dacs you like so much, Wisnon? Interesting to hear and find out how it compares to the new Lampizator Golden Gate dac!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Serious competition for the various Lampizator dacs you like so much, Wisnon? Interesting to hear and find out how it compares to the new Lampizator Golden Gate dac!
Not sure, as we didnt have a Lampi to compare to…just the Chord Qute EX with Hynes Linear power supply and only on RBCD. I suspect I will like the tube approach more, but cant be sure. Dartzeel has a touch of tube smoothness.

The beauty of the Big 7 is the tube roliling ability that can significanly change the presentation. Also, the sweeeeet DSD.

Still the LHC as a one box solution is very attractive.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

Me likey!

++1

I spent three days last June at the Newport Show with the LHC-208 and also at that show was the pre-production model of the new version of the 18NS full on preamp....which was used as the phono stage for the LHC-208. the system at that show was quite similar to my home gear. with the dac I was blown away by the 208, and was able to directly compare it's dac performance to the phono stage in the new dart pre at that show for reference. that pre got shipped directly to my home from the show and then I was able to listen to that pre and phono in my system for 2 weeks and then shipped it back to darZTeel in Switzerland.

not only was it the best phono stage I've yet heard, but it's performance in my home system only solidified my opinion on the dac in the 208 as world class.

the only negative is that they won't ship the first batch of new dart pre until they ship the 208's which are being built first......and I paid in full for my new dart pre last September, so I have little sympathy for your wait on the 208.;)

and btw; they have many more than 100 firm pre-orders for the new $46k (with 2 phonos) NHB-18NS.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
++1

I spent three days last June at the Newport Show with the LHC-208 and also at that show was the pre-production model of the new version of the 18NS full on preamp....which was used as the phono stage for the LHC-208. the system at that show was quite similar to my home gear. with the dac I was blown away by the 208, and was able to directly compare it's dac performance to the phono stage in the new dart pre at that show for reference. that pre got shipped directly to my home from the show and then I was able to listen to that pre and phono in my system for 2 weeks and then shipped it back to darZTeel in Switzerland.

not only was it the best phono stage I've yet heard, but it's performance in my home system only solidified my opinion on the dac in the 208 as world class.

the only negative is that they won't ship the first batch of new dart pre until they ship the 208's which are being built first......and I paid in full for my new dart pre last September, so I have little sympathy for your wait on the 208.;)

and btw; they have many more than 100 firm pre-orders for the new $46k (with 2 phonos) NHB-18NS.

Yes, but the good news is that the production probs are now solved, so some serious inroads can be made into all the backlog. As for demand, the monobloc takes the cake! 2.5 years order to (old)capacity backlog, though I expect capacity to increase for that. Oh, and that Dac module will be moving up the food chain!

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Yes, but the good news is that the production probs are now solves so siome serious inroads can be made into all the backlog. As for demand, the monobloc takes the cake! 2.5 years order to (old)capacity backlog, though I expect capacity to increase for that. Oh, and that Dac module will be moving up the food chain!

I would like to see a stand alone dart dac that could be used with the 18NS, and a stand alone dart phono that could be used with the 208 too. common sense would say that the dac is much more likely than the phono based on the market size and potential.

good thing I already have the monoblocks in-house then. after living with them for 2 years now I know full well why they are in demand.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Yeah, even H does not have a pair now. LoL

Actually, if I hear right, the phonostage is more likely. Th Dac module goes into the big integrated, the CTH...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing