DIN phono cable

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Looking for an upgrade to the DIN phono cable supplied with my SME Series V arm..... preferrably with XLR ends? Does such an animal exist?

Was looking on The Cable Co. website and all I found were cables by Purist Audio. Any more??

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I've owned a few...din to xlr's when I had my BAT VKP10SE phono stage (with a SME arm and table then) lower on the money scale is Hovland and Cardas...Purist makes a killer good phono cable..I've owned the Venastas and Proteus Provectus Praesto...it's really had to beat one of the Purist in their respective price ranges...last few years I was using a Transparent Ref XL MM2 but din to rca with I traded my BAT phono for a Nagra...Transparent will wire in a din to XLR if desired...

(In the days I had my BAT phono I even compared din to rca and din to xlr of the same cable type...in that phono..the xlr was better...more gain lower noise and all the benefits that brings)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Nordost and MIT will also do DIN to XLR

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Thanks guys...... yeah, my Doshi pre has Balanced in and wanted to utilize it since a studio can be a very hostile environment for hum...

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Hey Bruce --

I highly recommend the Found Music phono cable. Scott can customize to your specs.

Odyno

Dec 27, 2011
Near Montreal Canada
I have a couple at home.
DIN-XLR I have the IC-70 Graham and the Audioquest LeoPard Tonearm Cable with 72V DBS.
2 excelent the Audioquest being a bit more liquid,
Thats with the SME20/SME V/ Dyna XV1S combo and the Aesthetix Io

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've got a couple lying around somewhere from when I used to use a BAT VK P10 SP. A Graham IC-70 and custom Audience Au24s.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think most manufacturers will build you one if you ask for it. :)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Already asked the manufacturer that I use and they won't do it.

Many tonearm cables are coaxial - that doesn't work as a true balanced cable. It will pick up hum like crazy if you use that into a balanced input. Designing a balanced tonearm cable is not trivial. When I took apart one that I had, I found that it shorted pin 3 to ground. It was a single-ended cable with an XLR on the end!!

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Many tonearm cables are coaxial - that doesn't work as a true balanced cable. It will pick up hum like crazy if you use that into a balanced input. Designing a balanced tonearm cable is not trivial. When I took apart one that I had, I found that it shorted pin 3 to ground. It was a single-ended cable with an XLR on the end!!

That's my worry. A lot of manufacturers don't know how to make a true balanced cable ( or equipment for that matter).

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
Bruce,

The stock SME cable is 2 conductor plus shield/channel which can be used into a balanced input. The RCA jacks on the unit are also wired in this fashion so by using the stock cable, all you are losing is not having the shell around the conductors for a shield. alternatively, you could cut the RCA's off the SME Vandenhul cable and solder XLR's on. In my experience, a lot of the cables supplied by turntable manufacturers are wired in this fashion and can be used balanced, If the RCA jack is mounted to the chassis of the preamplifier using isolation grommets (as mine are) this provides a way to make a balanced connextion using an RCA jack, the downside is that the connection is not quite symmetrical and not shielded. So not optimal, but usable.
Thanks guys...... yeah, my Doshi pre has Balanced in and wanted to utilize it since a studio can be a very hostile environment for hum...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing