What's for Christmas Dinner?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It's been many years but I used to always make goose for Christmas dinner. Oh yes, making a goose makes cooking a turkey seem like a walk in park.

I used to follow Julia Child's recipe that is similar in concept to how the Chinese make Peking Duck eg. to finish with a crispy skin and moist meat. So basically one steams the duck (and pricks the skin) for roughly an hour and a half to get rid of some of the fat. One then let's the bird cool after which it's stuffed (I used a cornbread/sage/sausage stuffing), baked and finally braised for about 45 mins. Oh, one also has to precut the tendons in the wings so you can carve the bird when it's done. While a goose isn't big (usually around 12 lbs), it's a heavy dark meat and a little bit goes a long way. 12 lbs easily fed six people with meat to spare.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It's been many years but I used to always make goose for Christmas dinner. Oh yes, making a goose makes cooking a turkey seem like a walk in park.

I used to follow Julia Child's recipe that is similar in concept to how the Chinese make Peking Duck eg. to finish with a crispy skin and moist meat. So basically one steams the duck (and pricks the skin) for roughly an hour and a half to get rid of some of the fat. One then let's the bird cook after which it's stuffed (I used a cornbread/sage/sausage stuffing), baked and finally braised for about 45 mins. Oh, one also has to precut the tendons in the wings so you can carve the bird when it's done. While a goose isn't big (usually around 12 lbs), it's a heavy dark meat and a little bit goes a long way. 12 lbs easily fed six people with meat to spare.

I think goose could be on the menu for next Christmas...we nearly did it this year.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
There is no accounting for people's taste. :D

I certainly know where I would prefer to eat Christmas dinner. Lloyd, we could even talk about the Ashes cricket ;)

Yep. Nothing like eating one of the legs off of Santa's reindeer for Christmas dinner.

Oh good gracious, as opposed to eating the leg off of any other animal, like a cow or calf? Or eating a sardine from a can, ie (head and all)? Or ripping a lobster limb from limb (often after boiling or steaming it alive/crawling), tearing off its entire shell and eating it from the inside out? While I admit I have my own limits on eating 'unique things'...I think its all up in our head and what we're used to that determines whether something is 'fair or foul'. there have been a few things that tested me, I admit, but venison (for me) was definitely not one of them...its a healthy alternative to beef (similar taste) which tends to be much fattier.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
We had our traditional homemade clam chowder [family recipe] as the main course, albeit on a not so traditional day. This used to be the traditional Christmas eve dinner but with the ever expanding family, grandchildren and family in-law schedules, the traditional Christmas eve dinner was cancelled indefinitely last year. While that breathed a huge sigh of relief for many from a logistics point of view, Christmas just wasn't the same for anybody without the clam chowder dinner. While planning things for this year, everybody in the family unanimously decided that we would not have Christmas this year without the clam chowder. The clam chowder dinner has permanently been moved to Christmas.

So, we enjoyed the clam chowder and crackers, ham and chicken salad sandwiches with all the fixin's from the gourmet to the healthy to the unhealthy. Croissants, hoagie rolls, onion rolls, red tater salad, several types of crackers with a bacon+cheddar cheese along with an artichoke dip, olives, wine for the ladies and a smorgasbord of beer for the gents. For dessert we enjoyed a pumpkin pie and an Oreo/ice cream pie.

All had a great time and it was great to be around so much family at one time. Merry Christmas all.

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I had Christmas dinner at friends. :) There was...

Cheese board and wine for the pre-dinner gathering - all local cheeses from the Olympia farmers' market
Mixed salad with a cranberry vinaigrette dressing
Lamb chops (with matching red wine)
Steamed Brussels sprouts
Wild rice
Mushroom gravy
Home made bread
Rum cake (my contribution) which got dosed with more rum - I refrained as I had to drive home. :)

Leftovers for lunch today!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Sorry to post this late, I am still in the third round of left-overs :)

- Wild Turkey, oven with smashed potatoes and gravy
- Romeritos (an exotic vine with Mole from Oaxaca state)
- Cod Fish - Spanish style
- French soup broil

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Oh good gracious, as opposed to eating the leg off of any other animal, like a cow or calf?

Really? Do you eat the legs off of cows and calves too? Seriously, to my knowledge, I don't eat the legs of any animals. I own an oven, not a crematorium. I hope you know I'm just joshing with you Lloyd except for the part about not eating Donder or Blitzen's leg.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Really? Do you eat the legs off of cows and calves too? Seriously, to my knowledge, I don't eat the legs of any animals. I own an oven, not a crematorium. I hope you know I'm just joshing with you Lloyd except for the part about not eating Donder or Blitzen's leg.

Of course I do. It's called Osso Bucco. You know what, I also eat the tail, the liver, the bone marrow, the cartilage, the blood, the pancreas, and even the tripe :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Of course I do. It's called Osso Bucco. You know what, I also eat the tail, the liver, the bone marrow, the cartilage, the blood, the pancreas, and even the tripe :)

Ox Tongue too. Give it a kiss Mark. LOL!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

Osso Bucco = knees, and are delicious!, you forgot the tongue Keith ;) - it is good as well!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Gotta love a good Lengua right Flez? Braised beef cheek is also awesome.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

For sure! All of these are legs/appendages: Chicken and duck drumsticks, osso buco, ham hocks, pork shoulder, leg of lamb, Lobster claws, crabs legs, frogs legs, and the list goes on! ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...would you object if I added rabbit's legs and leg of venison, as long as its not Thumper and Bambi? ;)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I personally have no objection to eating the legs of any of the aforementioned. Regardless if it is Bambi, Rudolph, Porky Pig, Sebastian, Thumper, Larry the Lobster, Kermit or Foghorn Leghorn.

Tom

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I just had some braised horse lips for lunch.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I just had some braised horse lips for lunch.

Speaking of horse lips...I have a phone call to make!LOLOLOL!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing