How flat should the frequency response be in a room?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Now to the loss of energy you pointed out, I agree with that is why I am going to add a sub and work from there . . . It's not apples to apples when compairing rooms!!!
Adding subs may not improve the lost LF energy, if you can't identify the cause. The same physics applies to all rooms, even your room. :)

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
Interesting discussion. I had a hard time completely visualizing the impact of differing amounts of smoothing and found the attached helpful. I would also comment as noted above there's a difference between what I can see and what I can hear based on my experience using the Dspeaker Anti-mode 2.0 Dual Core gizmo. I was surprised A-B ing pre and post equalization that difference peaks of several dB were not always audible. Maybe I have the wrong hobby?!! :(

http://www.cuk-audio.com/uploads/files/Technical Papers/SMOOTH_TECH.pdf

caesar

May 30, 2010
Although IMHO the question is being formulated in a too general way, I would say it will depend on your priorities. However for a fast start you can read the guidelines of Nyal Mellor of Acoustic Frontiers http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/audio-projects-acoustic-design/. We had a nice thread on it at WBF.

Microstrip,

You reference some excellent material. However, for those of us who are novices, unfortunately the threads and white papers are in Greek. They very quickly move from the shallow to the very deep. I gained some knowledge of waves and acoustics in my college physics class almost 25 years ago, and although I did really well in it, a refresher on the nature of waves is necessary before diving into the more complex problems usually discussed in these threads.

For anyone interested, the Master Handbook of Acoustics 5th edition is quite good.

As for the Mellor/ Hedbeck paper, it is unfortunately too abstract for a novice like me. It would be awesome to have version 2 with concrete sonic examples of what they are talking about.

Jeff Hedback

[Industry Expert]
Feb 9, 2011
Indpls, IN
www.HdAcoustics.net
Hello Caesar,

Maybe a little context on the original drive to write that paper would help...simply, only a few years ago it was very difficult to take, analyze and manipulate. Then REW arrives and you have this tool that's relatively simple to get going and gives you now TONS of options. In terms of measurements, most people are acclimated to manufacture's speaker test data. Those have little correlation to 'speaker in room' measurements and absolutely don't give you any clue as to why your REW measurements are not nice and flat like the speaker measurements. The paper's intent is to guide a crazed audio lover through how to use freq smoothing above and below the transition zone (~ 250Hz), how to gain value from ETC graphs, how to evaluate single speaker deviations in freq and decay and how to compare Left to Right speakers in both freq and decay.

I do understand how the paper can get lofty and quickly, but if you do take REW (or ARTA, etc...) acoustical measurements in your room at your listening position, using the paper and the checklist can give you a process to evaluate your situation.

katylied

Sep 7, 2011
Torino (Turin) - Italy
The paper's intent is to guide a crazed audio lover through how to use freq smoothing above and below the transition zone (~ 250Hz), how to gain value from ETC graphs, how to evaluate single speaker deviations in freq and decay and how to compare Left to Right speakers in both freq and decay

Where I can find this paper? The link posted in this thread lead to your website but I went through all the pages without success. Thanks in advance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing