How flat should the frequency response be in a room?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
There was a paper I read.... think it was from Sean Olive and someone else that gave good starting points.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Depends what you aim for , My FI or High FI .
For My Fi you might want some mysterious (Dark art) response , the High Fyers go for the flat lines:D, although I prefer a little tilted slope from 200/300 hz on lower.
This could be because microphones in general have difficulties to accurately record low freqs , the LS /room excess might compensate that a little

IMO ,a NOT neutral response gets boring quite quickly , a main culprit of so called listening fatique

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Definitely "My Fi" for me. I'm listening for pleasure, I'm not working on a track. I like some bass lift 2 to 4dB at 20Hz sloped down then pretty flat from 300Hz to 2kHz and a downslope there by 2dB to above 20kHz. That's just me and how I like it. I'll take a dip over a hump if I had no choice in the matter.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
"Flat" needs a definition otherwise it's impossible to say yes or no to it. Here's my definition of flat:

Consistent frequency response, within 2-5db (at least 1/12 octave smoothing) across the spectrum, and good impulse response as well, from multiple 3D points inside the listening area tailored to the listener's preferences. The definition must include both frequency and time info because time can affect perceived frequency response.

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
"Flat" needs a definition otherwise it's impossible to say yes or no to it. Here's my definition of flat:

Consistent frequency response, within 2-5db (at least 1/12 octave smoothing) across the spectrum, and good impulse response as well, from multiple 3D points inside the listening area tailored to the listener's preferences. The definition must include both frequency and time info because time can affect perceived frequency response.

"At Least" 1/12 octave smoothing?? That's ONE NOTE in the chromatic scale. Why would you need 1/24 or 1/36 octave. All you will see with that on the graph is a mess of squiggly lines resulting from comb filtering that really won't tell you anything useful about your room, besides, you'll get a different graph if you move the microphone an inch or two. It may even obscure what you want to see in your graph. This is a case where a little less is more.

I think the 1/12 octave smoothing you mentioned is actually ideal.

Last edited:

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I agree but it will be impossible for most folks to achieve that type of linearity down to 20hz without DSP or EQ. Room non-linearity doesn't follow the musical scale; peaks and dips in between notes. Unsmoothed measurements are ideal for DSP. In addition, it's always best to take multiple measurements in a 3d space within the listening field and then combine those measurements. Taking a single sweep will produce an inaccurate measurement every time. All of those should be taken unsmoothed before they are combined into a single magnitude response. That's why I say, at least.

I've seen a reviewer say all audiophiles should use a mic to measure. He criticizes folks for being measurement averse. Yet, he only posts 1/3 smoothed FR for his "music vault." That's silly.

"At Least" 1/12 octave smoothing?? That's ONE NOTE in the chromatic scale. Why would you need 1/24 or 1/36 octave. All you will see with that on the graph is a mess of squiggly lines resulting from comb filtering that really won't tell you anything useful about your room, besides, you'll get a different graph if you move the microphone an inch or two. It may even obscure what you want to see in your graph. This is a case where a little less is more.

I think the 1/12 octave smoothing you mentioned is actually ideal.

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I agree that you need several room position measurements.

When you use 1/12 octave smoothing, it doesn't matter if the discrepancy is between notes or right on the note. It is extremely close to the offending frequency either way and with higher resolution, all you get is comb filtering a few Hz in one direction or the other from the preceding measurement.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As far as I read, the smoothing you choose depends on the zone of the spectrum you are considering and what is the purpose of the measurement. As a rule of thumb some people advise to use 1/24 octave bellow the Schroeder frequency and 1/6 octave above it. The 1/3 octave is useful just to get an image of the general tilt of the room.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
It depends. You would want unsmoothed for certain things like DSP operations. You would also want unsmoothed to help find exact location of boundary interference and even better seat/speaker position. That's how I would use it. OTOH, 1/12 octave is all one really needs to generally describe system accuracy to determine whether they have achieved their goal of linearity or to generally show someone else that's interested in their system response. However, no magnitude response alone can fully describe how a system sounds. (That was for Myles). However, crappy response does mean a system is subpar for sure. My point is that you can hide a lot of warts in a 1/3 per octave smoothed graph that are very audible even if it's better than a previous 1/3 octave graph.

Ok from what I read 1/3 represents about where we hear, so wouldn't you want to use that? Or 1/6 to expose a few hidden bumps and dips that the 1/3 wouldn't show?

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
What you said about hiding warts is exactly why I use 1/6 I think it shows enough to get the job done in most rooms.
It depends. You would want unsmoothed for certain things like DSP operations. You would also want unsmoothed to help find exact location of boundary interference and even better seat/speaker position. That's how I would use it. OTOH, 1/12 octave is all one really needs to generally describe system accuracy to determine whether they have achieved their goal of linearity or to generally show someone else that's interested in their system response. However, no magnitude response alone can fully describe how a system sounds. (That was for Myles). However, crappy response does mean a system is subpar for sure. My point is that you can hide a lot of warts in a 1/3 per octave smoothed graph that are very audible even if it's better than a previous 1/3 octave graph.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
Here are two examples of my room, one is flat the other is after some eq. The target is 72db in the eq measurement, this is just the mains no sub.

Attachments

• 12 23 13 flat.jpg
    12 23 13 flat.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 258
  • 12 25 13 eq.jpg
    12 25 13 eq.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 271

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
It looks like there's loss of energy between 65hz and 100hz.

The problem with smoothing even at 1/6 is that you can't really see whether there's a true boundary interference contributing to that loos of energy or something else. With unsmoothed, an SBIR dip will be very obvious. If an SBIR is really there, then you can use math to figure out which boundary is causing the SBIR.

Here are two examples of my room, one is flat the other is after some eq. The target is 72db in the eq measurement, this is just the mains no sub.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
The problem with smoothing even at 1/6 is that you can't really see whether there's a true boundary interference contributing to that loos of energy or something else. With unsmoothed, an SBIR dip will be very obvious. If an SBIR is really there, then you can use math to figure out which boundary is causing the SBIR.

And what would that look like as opposed to a room modal issue?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
And what would that look like as opposed to a room modal issue?
It would be a very narrow V shape, assuming the boundary is a bare wall or concrete floor; something solid and untreated. This also assumes we are only looking at a single listening position measurement.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
It would be a very narrow V shape, assuming the boundary is a bare wall or concrete floor; something solid and untreated. This also assumes we are only looking at a single listening position measurement.

and then how is this measured in the time domain so you can find the boundary?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing