Definition of a Live vs. Dead room?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
A live room sounds great until you play it too loud and it seems to get slappy. A dead room you walk into and your ears feel different, kind of unnaturally quiet. If I had to choose, I would prefer the live room. I would just be careful not to play it too loud. Also, it would be easier to fix than a dead room.

As far as room treatment, I am much more of a diffusion (lively) fan than that of absorption (dead). Too many acousticians do not know how to design for home listening. They tend to make rooms sound like anechoic chambers and I am miserable when I walk into these types of rooms. The best recordings are usually in live venues where you get natural ambience and the brain recognizes it as closer to real. Listen to a drum kit in a live venue versus a studio and you will know what I am talking about.

Roger Dressler

Industry Expert
Aug 4, 2011
Oregon
The best recordings are usually in live venues where you get natural ambience and the brain recognizes it as closer to real. Listen to a drum kit in a live venue versus a studio and you will know what I am talking about.
True, but I think the OP is asking about listening rooms. :b

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
There actually is a difference between a "dead" room and an extremely quiet sonically insulated room which could be very "live."

I do agree, I prefer a more live room with diffusion.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I agree but with 2 caveats:
1. Depends on the music you like. Speed metal probably sounds better closer to .2 whereas large venue symphony sounds better closer to .5.

2. Decay isn't uniform and is dependent somewhat on what the room uses to reduce decay time. If there is more diffusion backed with full range absorption, then lower decay times can still sound super live.

Even decay times are probably more important than an absolute number.

Michael.

Just a WAG.... RT60

>.5ms = Live room

<.2ms = Dead room

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
room.JPG One trick I learned is to never have any bare faced fiberglass panels in your room. They don't absorb HF consistent with LF. If you use fiberglass make them as full range as possible and always cover the surface with good diffusion. I like to attach auralex t'fusors to my panels and fill them with fiberglass. RPG BAD panels can do this well too.
This iphone pano photo warped my ceiling cloud so don't laugh too hard.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing