The Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Picked up a sealed copy of the Mobile Fidelity release of this today. Not cheap, but not unobtanium for even my budget limitations either. The dealer worked with me and I saved roughly 35% over his original asking price. I guess it pays to be a good customer at times.

The Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination - MFSL 1-204 / Serial No: 5235
IMG_0622.JPG

I just finished playing it twice, although somewhat casually, but I really enjoyed what I heard so far. The album was flawlessly quiet without a tick or a pop to be heard. A really nice 200g slab of vinyl for sure. The inner artwork of the gatefold is wonderfully presented and I thought a nice touch.

My initial impression is quite favourable and I think it may be one of the better MFSL efforts. I say that as I've always found many of their reissues to sound a bit thick or veiled, especially when compared to other reissue companies. That's just my opinion of course, and YMMV.

I hope to sit down in the next few days and give this a thorough listen without any other distractions and in my sweet spot.

The Alan Parsons Project is one of my all-time favourite bands and I'm really pleased to end this year on such a high note.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Picked up a sealed copy of the Mobile Fidelity release of this today. Not cheap, but not unobtanium for even my budget limitations either. The dealer worked with me and I saved roughly 35% over his original asking price. I guess it pays to be a good customer at times.

The Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination - MFSL 1-204 / Serial No: 5235
View attachment 13052

I just finished playing it twice, although somewhat casually, but I really enjoyed what I heard so far. The album was flawlessly quiet without a tick or a pop to be heard. A really nice 200g slab of vinyl for sure. The inner artwork of the gatefold is wonderfully presented and I thought a nice touch.

My initial impression is quite favourable and I think it may be one of the better MFSL efforts. I say that as I've always found many of their reissues to sound a bit thick or veiled, especially when compared to other reissue companies. That's just my opinion of course, and YMMV.

I hope to sit down in the next few days and give this a thorough listen without any other distractions and in my sweet spot.

The Alan Parsons Project is one of my all-time favourite bands and I'm really pleased to end this year on such a high note.

Great recording. Have the original MOFI CD release somewhere that was signed by Alan Parsons!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Good catch John.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've listened to it now several times and with complete undivided attention. I played my domestic copies of it and some other MOFI releases as well. Marvin Gaye, JT, I Robot and Ray Charles.

Holy crap! -----------Stunning!

It's like a different album, a whole new experience. I know it's impossible to measure, but compared to the domestic pressings I have (including the alternate cover version) there is like 50% more detail and resolution. Hell....let's go for 75%. Perhaps a stretch as I'm somewhat favourably biased towards APP.

I will say this unequivocally...it is the best MOFI I own!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Makes me want to listen to my IRobot 45 rpm test pressing. I don't have this album. Time to search.

I have 2 words Christian .......GET IT.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I bought a sealed copy the other day. I should get it in a few days. Thanks for the rec.

Nice! Please let me know what you thought from your amazing system!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I bought a sealed copy the other day. I should get it in a few days. Thanks for the rec.

Have you had a chance to listen to it yet? I would love to hear your impressions!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
John, the Anadisc LP's are IMO some of the very best Lp's out there, not just by MOFI, but by anybody. Most are pretty pricey these days, BUT IF you can stretch- they are all pretty recommendable. My favorites are the Muddy Waters Folk Singer, Getz Gilberto, Ella and Louis again ( now VERY pricey), Mulligan meets Webster,Mulligan/Desmond Blues in Time and Billie Holliday Body and Soul. Nirvana, Pink Floyd and the other rock LP's are also great, although not quite the same SQ.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing