I'm in a Canadian mode today and lovin' it!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Every once in a while I get into a zone whereby I want to enjoy what our Canadian artists have brought to the world of music. It's quite amazing actually. And for a country with such a small population the quality is outstanding. I say that with a definite bias, but I do think that many of our artists have brought the world some outstanding musical gifts. And they cover every genre of music imaginable. From Jazz (Peterson, Maynard), to Folk (Lightfoot, Cockburn, McLaughlin), to Rock (Guess Who, BTO, Tragically Hip), to Soul (Philosopher Kings, JackSoul), to Classical (Glenn Gould, The MSO), and many many others. We even have the Bieber and Celine Dion, although that may or may not be worth noting....LOL! Of course we have Neil Young, Joni Mitchell and Leonard Cohen to boost things back up again.;). On the French speaking side, we have Harmonium, Fiori-Seguin, Cano, Boule Noire, Robert Charlebois and Gilles Vigneault as well. Let us also not forget the contribution from our Maritime provinces....Hank Snow, Anne Murray, Sarah McLachlan, Rita MacNeil and Natalie McMaster.

I know I have not mentioned them all , but it shows that no matter where you live great artists are there and working their craft for all who take the time to appreciate the efforts.

I want to publicly thank the CRTC (Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission) for instituting a Canadian content rule of 25% for all airplay starting in 1971, although that number has increased to 40% through the years. This policy, while vehemently opposed by many at the time, is now viewed as one of the most courageous decisions made by them. While I don't understand the whole dynamic of the result, it must be said that Canadian artists have flourished much to our delight and apparently the rest of the world as well.

Hopefully we'll have more coming your way! :D

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Today I listened to Rush, Holly Cole, Feist, Melanie Doane and Diana Krall.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just got done listening to the amazing Amanda Marshall. What a voice! Not bad to look at either! LOL!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing