Shunyata Venom defender

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
VENOM DEFENDER
- can also be used in the bottom outlet of a duplex to provide surge and noise reduction for whatever is plugged into the top outlet, usually something like a sonos or TV, etc

I just noticed this nuance I do not remember reading about before. Is this saying the bottom outlet is the path the AC follows in the wiring. That is, the top outlet taps off the bottom. So, if the Defender were plugged into the top outlet it would not offer surge protection? Would it still be able to do noise reduction?

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
I didn't have any luck with the Venom Defender(a week of break-in) plugged into the duplex with my amp or on my TV. Didn't notice any improvement.

A .47uf/630v Vishay MMKP on the TV duplex works great.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
I just noticed this nuance I do not remember reading about before. Is this saying the bottom outlet is the path the AC follows in the wiring. That is, the top outlet taps off the bottom. So, if the Defender were plugged into the top outlet it would not offer surge protection? Would it still be able to do noise reduction?

Either one - doesn't matter. Electrically they are both the same. The top and bottom outlets are connected internally.

apesfan

Feb 18, 2014
Long Island
Either one - doesn't matter. Electrically they are both the same. The top and bottom outlets are connected internally.

I heard alot of the same electrical nuances. All I can say is the Defender is an amazing product and I had many, many different conditioners and the like. I have three Defenders now and about 7 Venom cables of all power types. Great stuff Mr. Gabriel. John M.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Just a quick observation, the Defender added to my wall outlet made an improvement. This with a good couple of outlets and a dedicated line.

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
Cyclops: In my system w/ triton/typhon/shunyata PC's on line level and Cyclops on the floor for my two Rowland amps the sound is very good indeed. The amps directly to the wall sound less good by a wide margin. I need one more outlet from the Cyclops so I can add another Rowland 525 and wonder if the Shunyata power strip would be an acceptable option to gain more outlets.
Word of caution: The super black backgrounds achieved by adding Shunyata conditioning to amps can be addictive.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Cyclops: In my system w/ triton/typhon/shunyata PC's on line level and Cyclops on the floor for my two Rowland amps the sound is very good indeed. The amps directly to the wall sound less good by a wide margin. I need one more outlet from the Cyclops so I can add another Rowland 525 and wonder if the Shunyata power strip would be an acceptable option to gain more outlets.
Word of caution: The super black backgrounds achieved by adding Shunyata conditioning to amps can be addictive.
For me those totally black backgrounds were the first thing I commented on when I did my review of the Shunyata Triton/Typhon. It is beyond addictive. The noise floor on my system is beyond low

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
Yea Steve your were right all along. Just love the silky blacks & holographic images. Silence is a great thing!!

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

I also have my amps (Pass X600.5) on individual Cyclops, and the other gear on a Triton/Typhon. As with you, I found the amps to sound better on the Cyclops versus plugged directly into their dedicated line. They are more open and clearer with the Cyclops. Caelin has mentioned the PS8 is for adding additional outlets if needed.

ellevoid

Jun 6, 2014
So I should plugged defender in wall outlet with Cyclops and plugged PS8 in one of Cyclops outlet to use with other components, am I right?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm not a Shunyata dealer but I do often spec systems for clients with Shunyata products (sourced from the local distributor). One client in particular was very skeptical. The system was comprised of our mid-level audio products in mixed use system integrated with their existing Plasma TV and BDP. The very last item I plugged in to the system was the Defender. His eyes bulged out of his head when he saw the difference in picture quality. We all had a good laugh and a great lunch afterwards.

In my own system, I use Cyclops' for my amplifiers. While the regulation of the amps themselves is very good and thus the effects of the Cyclops NICs subtle, they are there and they are beneficial.

ellevoid

Jun 6, 2014
It is gonna be better if I plugged 1 Defender in a wall outlet next to my PS8 and another Defender in one of PS8 outlet?
Or I should use only 1 defender in wall outlet and PS8?

Chuck Lee

Feb 5, 2015
I am just now into day two with a Nordost QV2 plugged into the open receptacle of a Furutech GTX D on a 20 amp dedicated line.

Fresh out of the box I noticed a difference.

The music became more clear, with less glare ,like rounding off the sharp edges.

My initial take is that I like what the QV2 brings to the table. I find it just a bit forgiving, but maybe that's the device ridding my system of noise.

My friend runs either a Triton or Typhoon into the open receptacles shared with his two power amps which are on 2 dedicated lines. The amps are not into any of the conditioners.

I couldn't afford to go to those extremes,I felt I had pretty much finished with tweaks to my power.

I was mistaken to think that going to dedicated lines and a good receptacle was all I needed to do.

The QV2 as I am sure any other similar device has shown me the error of my ways.

Further proof to me that improving the power to your gear is something no one should scoff at.

Chuck Lee

Feb 5, 2015
I am not trying to hijack the thread,and I am a huge Shunyata fan,( I use Hydra, Hydra 2, and Guardian 2, 4 Annaconda power cords, 2 RZ1 outlets), but I would like to add that the Hydra benefits with the addition of a QV2 in an unused outlet.

I bought a second QV2 and this one was placed in the unused half of the outlet I use for my Steelhead.

So I am very certain that adding a defender would also improve other Shunyata power conditioners.
Next experiment is to place a QV2 into my Hydra 2 which is on a dedicated line for just Esoteric cd/sacd player and see what that does.

It may be awhile before I try this.
I am enjoying my vinyl a lot more since I've done some tweaking.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I am just now into day two with a Nordost QV2 plugged into the open receptacle of a Furutech GTX D on a 20 amp dedicated line.

Fresh out of the box I noticed a difference.

The music became more clear, with less glare ,like rounding off the sharp edges.

My initial take is that I like what the QV2 brings to the table. I find it just a bit forgiving, but maybe that's the device ridding my system of noise.

My friend runs either a Triton or Typhoon into the open receptacles shared with his two power amps which are on 2 dedicated lines. The amps are not into any of the conditioners.

I couldn't afford to go to those extremes,I felt I had pretty much finished with tweaks to my power.

I was mistaken to think that going to dedicated lines and a good receptacle was all I needed to do.

The QV2 as I am sure any other similar device has shown me the error of my ways.

Further proof to me that improving the power to your gear is something no one should scoff at.

Chuck Lee - - - Welcome.jpg to this great site.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I am a believer. I just added a Venom Defender this afternoon. I plugged it into a empty outlet in the same box with one of my amps. Immediately quieted a "slight" amp buzz I had been dealing with. That I am sure of. Now the slight improvement in low end definition I think I am hearing will have to be conformed by removing it it a week or so. This is a good listening day.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yeah it's great stuff, cheap; I put one a while ago next to my phono stage and the gratification was instant.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I am a believer. I just added a Venom Defender this afternoon. I plugged it into a empty outlet in the same box with one of my amps. Immediately quieted a "slight" amp buzz I had been dealing with. That I am sure of. Now the slight improvement in low end definition I think I am hearing will have to be conformed by removing it it a week or so. This is a good listening day.

Now Jim if you really want to become a member of what Caelin likes to call "the lunatic fringe" use a Shunyata Typhon plugged into the same dedicated line(s) as your D'agostina mono blocks. I promise you a "Depenz" moment

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing