Time to fess up. Who's busted a Cart?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I busted a whole lot of MM styli in my teens. Never thought much of it since they could easily be replaced. In the 80s there were lots of cheap clones too if you didn't really care about SQ. LOL. I did bust the very first MC I bought. Bone head accident. Boy did that hurt. Haven't broken any since.

KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!!!

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
OK, I'll fess up....

Many years ago I was given the opportunity to purchase a Clearaudio Master Reference that was being taken in on trade. In order to do so I needed to sell my old table (Clearaudio Master Solution). Took some photos, but the table was dusty and didn't look good. I proceeded to dust the table off with a microfiber cloth and was extremely careful. Fortunately, the design of the table was such that there was a lot of room around the tonearm and cartridge. Satisfied that I had gotten all of the nooks and crannies I dropped the towel (so that it could be removed from a different angle) and removed my hand from under the arm.... and BAM!

Not sure how I did it and honestly cannot remember the seconds surrounding the event, but I hit the cartridge hard enough with my hand that the stylus actually cut my knuckle.

Koetsu Jade ...... broken.

The system was in our living room and my wife was in there reading when this happened. Apparently I screamed some obscenities and turned around slowly. She later said that she'd never seen such a combination of anger, embarrassment, and fear in my expression before (or since).

The sad thing was that I was paying close attention while dusting, but had a very brief lapse at the very end. Oh well, expensive lesson learned. Don't dust the turntable!!

It was interesting to see the outpouring of support from my dealer, his customers in the store at the time, and the Koetsu distributor. "Oh, I'm so sorry. Don't beat yourself up. We've all done it..." and then everyone proceeded to tell their story of breaking a cartridge.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You'll love how stupid my accident was Andrew. I had been reading that to do anti-skate on the JMW I had then, one was to twist the cable. Well, Einstein here decided to check it out but forgot to lock the arm down. On first twist the arm moved and I panicked and jerked. In other words, I had no idea what the heck happened after that! All I remember was being frozen watching the arm go bouncing all over the place the cantilever less cart finally resting on the label. Uggghhhh.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
First one I busted was when I moved to Seattle. It's cold here, and I was setting up while wearing a sweater. Snagged the cantilever and pulled it right off. In Asia, we so this with bare arms, so I didn't even think of it.

Sauerball

Member Sponsor
Jul 30, 2013
New York, NY
MF says he destroyed a just retipped Titan Lyra in the January Stereophile trying to mount it. No wonder he didn't like the Simplicity arm. Made me feel better about the Clearaudio Concept MC I dropped before I had even used it.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
All I can say is you don't want to drop a needle next to the record on a sme , the moving dampening compound on the platter takes care of the tip from there on :confused:

Is this a confession ??:D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Me neither. Not even any "the maid did it dusting" stories.

Surely you never had an Oracle - yes, she did it! I should have suspected why the the front of the base was always dustless in the accessible zone at the front ...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Fransisco-You are correct, I have never owned an Oracle table.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Back in late 60's messed up the cantilever of a V15 on the Elac/Miracord 50h. Never screwed up another one knock on wood thru many other carts/TT's.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I had a bunch of audiophile friends over and we were spinning some vinyl. Someone noticed that the arm looked a little funny. I took a close look and the stylus of my Lyra Helikon was hanging on loosely to the body, still playing music! Anyway it was getting to end of its useful life (said hopefully) and that moved me to a Skala. Now on my second Skala, just wore out the first.

Here is another one, fortunately not caused by me. Maybe 20 years ago, a local dealer called me, knowing that I had expressed interest (desire?) for a high end TT. At that time I had a SOTA Star with a vacuum and an ET2 arm. What he had was a really pristine Versa Dynamics TT (a Model 2.0) that one of his customers had. 25 years ago it cost $8000! The customer had committed suicide. Fortunately WBF wasn't around at that time or he might have done it sooner, :) The dealer was helping his widow dispose of his very high end equipment. It was a very good deal and I bought it. He said do you want a high end cartridge also, and he pulls out a box with a Van den Hul Grasshopper Gold III cartridge which had been used with the Versa. As I remember, it was $3000 back then. I had never seen a cartridge that expensive and opened the box. I didn't see any stylus. I handed the box back to the dealer and he looked around and saw the stylus stuck to the bottom of the box! Fortunately, he sent it back to the Netherlands and A J himself repaired the cartridge and a few weeks later I got it at a bargain price also.

Larry

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
If a cartridge has anything remotely resembling an exotic cantilever, the chances of me breaking it are pretty high.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Yup. I smoked my Ortofon A90 3 months after receiving it. Hit it with my elbow trying get a piece of debris off a record. Dumb mistake.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Back in the late 70's when I got my first "real" turntable, I also bought some liquid stylus cleaner. Well, I didn't know at the time that you were only supposed to clean the actual stylus tip with it and not the cantilever as well. After some time the damn thing fell apart. Fortunately I've not had issues mounting or removing one.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I ruined a ruby cantilever from my (now back) Blue Angel Mantis while cleaning the plinth of an Avid turntable I traded-in, the deal went down $1,500 but my self-esteem went to h**l! :)

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I used to be cavalier about them for years, since I worked with my hands with small things in my profession. Then I broke three in a row doing dumass things. I still have the cartridges sitting in a drawer waiting for retip.

Since then, I approach them with trepidation and great care. I use scotch tape to make flexible guards when mounting, and have an acute awareness of the air space around the cantilever when approaching the turntable. Doesn't mean the maid can't still get to it, but since I have become paranoid, I haven't broken any more.

Blam!

Apr 8, 2012
Germany
Three carts busted in the last five years: Soundsmith Strain Gauge, Audio Technica AT 180 ML OCC, Scheu Analog MC Scheu S. All messed up by our beloved cat. She caught the Strain Gauge on last year's New Year's Eve...ouch.

I keep my fingers crossed, this and next year won't happen the same. :eek:

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Back in the early 80s my wife decided to dust my Rega Planer 3, Grace 707 MkII arm and F9E cart. You guessed it...the F9E stylus bit the dust...ouch

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing