new way to drive a turn table

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi I just joined and I am going to show the way to drive my TT, I use a old DD to drive a belt drive TT, but not using belt, instead with a very very thin elastic thread, turning ratio almost 1:1 so very smooth and quiet, no other bearing of driving motor can compare to a DD TT's bearing. the only thing has to do is turn both platter first by hand before switch on. also thin elastic thread is the best as the belt ,those non elastic material can not sound so live like that, you will not go back after you tried
tony ky ma
ps fail to attach pictures, can someone tell me how to attach ?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
This I gotta see!

hi Tony, create an account at photobucket , imageshack or any similar service and upload your pics there. Then click on the photo icon here and type in or paste the image address of that pic from your account. Voila!

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Jack
thank you very much finally pictures can be posted, I hope you can see it clearly, because the thread is so thin. a AC motor pulley ratio is 10:1 (rpm 300) belt thickness change will need speed adjust, that cost much $, a DC motor can control speed easy but ratio 100:1(3000rpm) that thin thread can't last too long
but all direct drive TT come with speed control and cost few, the only thing is need more space
I am a diyer but not for the budget, my target is something different to the market's item, I will pay more for a good sounding parts like silver wound transformer etc, my favor is analog stuff and tube gear

Attachments

• Picture 005..jpg
    Picture 005..jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 208
  • Picture 006..jpg
    Picture 006..jpg
    84 KB · Views: 193
  • Picture 008..jpg
    Picture 008..jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 216

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Very ingenious Tony! Talk about thinking outside the box! Bravo!

I've only owned one clearaudio turntable in my life and that was the entry level Emotion. My beef with it was that the belts easily picked up dust and quickly became dirty. When dirty the belts introduced serious amounts of rumble. Definitely something your solution (pun intended) would not do. Again, well done. I hope you share more of your creative projects. This one in particular is a breath of fresh air.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Why a elastic thread can sound better than non elastic material belt, here is my thinking, because of it's sensitive stretch, rubber belt can stretch too but not enough sensibility, 33 1/3 mean turns in a minute, speed adjustable sensibility normal is 1/60 sec with a special indicator from Clearaudio can up to 1/400 sec but most music frequency is higher than that, and you will not know the tiny change in between of the sensibility, so a very heavy platter will help less of the speed changes come up with better sound but too heavy will start another problem, thin elastic thread can work as a spring to reduce speed change that is the reason of better sounding I believe. you can find them from garment material supply , in here about 4$ a roll but you will not need that much for your whole life. I still using the first one for more than 5 years (1:1 ratio) even for high speed DC motor still quite enough for your whole life, tie knot at the end and because very thin, knot is also very small and will not border even hard to find out, tension adjust is very easy just move distant in between, too strong or too weak also come out from sound quality, can only check by your own ear
tony ma

A9X

Oct 17, 2010
I've seen this done a number of times before with all sorts of drive couplings such as 1/4" leader tape and dental floss.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing