NVS Turntable?

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
What has happened to all the talk around the NVS Turntable? Other than Mike, I know my friend Barry got one and Albert Porter had one, but I do not hear anyone talking about it much. I was looking for it at RMAF this year, but didn't see it there either.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
They had issues with the bearing being destroyed in shipping in the beginning. I'm not sure they ever fully recovered from that miss step. First it happened at RMAF and they ended up removing it from the system by day two. Then Albert Porter received one with the same problem shortly after that. I don't think Johnathan has shown it at a show since then. I'm not sure why that is?

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
Well Guys,

I have owned the NVS since it came out & have had zero issues with it... This is one Fantastic turntable. PERIOD! I will save you the list of others that I have owned & there have been a couple of higher priced over the NVS.
Really don't care to get into the argument of better or best out there as there are many supreme TT's, & this can be subjective.

I take exception to the statement ( flavor of the month ), this is just not true!!!! The NVS deserves to be ranked with some of the best, regardless of what others feel.
It has been stated before about some damage & shipping issues which have been resolved. Hell, it was a new product & we all know that these things happen from time to time.. They weren't the first with this issue.
It's how the manufactures handle it, which they did in a very professional way. The shipping crate is second to none & many should take note of how to treat a paying customer.

My hats off to Jonathan & his group for bringing a great turntable to market.

Gary

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Well Guys,

I have owned the NVS since it came out & have had zero issues with it... This is one Fantastic turntable. PERIOD! I will save you the list of others that I have owned & there have been a couple of higher priced over the NVS.
Really don't care to get into the argument of better or best out there as there are many supreme TT's, & this can be subjective.

I take exception to the statement ( flavor of the month ), this is just not true!!!! The NVS deserves to be ranked with some of the best, regardless of what others feel.
It has been stated before about some damage & shipping issues which have been resolved. Hell, it was a new product & we all know that these things happen from time to time.. They weren't the first with this issue.
It's how the manufactures handle it, which they did in a very professional way. The shipping crate is second to none & many should take note of how to treat a paying customer.

My hats off to Jonathan & his group for bringing a great turntable to market.

Gary

Glad you are enjoying your TT. I have heard it many times, and it is a very good TT.

As far as why there is not more talk about it lately, I think it just comes down to marketing. They need to put it in more shows and run some ad's.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Well Guys,

(...)
Gary

Just for curiosity, what is the RRP of this turntable?

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
Maybe we are just too busy enjoying the turntable to post comments about how much we love it! I consider the NVS a reference level performer. I too have owned a few turntables and this one took my vinyl enjoyment to a whole different level.

As a fellow tape head, the NVS is no slouch when compared to some of the master dupes I have. In fact I can also attest that I have favored the NVS on occasion versus tape.

Also, Gary mentioned the crate that the NVS ships in. It's built like a brick */%t house. Everything about the NVS exudes the highest level of quality and craftsmanship.

JT and the Wave Kinetics team have done an excellent job with the NVS!

Last edited:

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
As far as (other turntables out there that are better) statement! Well lets be serious.. we can make that statement about almost anything in high end. It's a matter of personal tastes.

With turntables there are other factors involved, cartridge, arm, cable, & setup.

If a select few want to criticize this table I have to believe that they either have not set it up properly or they have not lived with it for a period of time.
Lets face it some have other agendas.
This I know to be fact!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
As far as (other turntables out there that are better) statement! Well lets be serious.. we can make that statement about almost anything in high end. It's a matter of personal tastes.

With turntables there are other factors involved, cartridge, arm, cable, & setup.

If a select few want to criticize this table I have to believe that they either have not set it up properly or they have not lived with it for a period of time.
Lets face it some have other agendas.
This I know to be fact!

Especially with the relative anonymity of the internet.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Good morning all.

I heard about this thread and some of the acrimony. I am out of the country for the next 9 days and am anticipating no more of this while I am gone. My admin team knows about this thread as well and will be monitoring it

Suffice it to say, "Bruce, I am a little surprised and disappointed. As you all know, here at WBF we look at our manufacturers in a different light as we value their presence and their contributions.

Thanks everyone and Happy Holidays to all

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Didn't mean to start a S***storm. It is a very elegant looking product. It's a good thing to have choices in the uber turntable world. Jonathan Tinn has brought really great products to the marketplace and I thought this was another one. Only curious as to the lack of talk about it.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
I can personally attest that Joe is a troublemaker.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think its a very cool/different design , unfortunately I never heard it , practical and straightforward , space for multiple arms , pushbutton/display
Not talked about in the press or by audiophiles a lot ??
Hmmm ....following some of the audiomagazines / audiophiles lately , I tend to see that more as a interesting feat /plus sometimes :D
Imo a lot of magazines thrive/ exist of the never ending incoming flow of new stuff to fill the papers , whether older designs are better or not is another story

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I thought there was a thread here with a comparison of AF1, Continuum, NVS and SME all in the same system.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Don't cut and paste the username or password - Windows may append a space, which will cause an authentication failure

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Thanks for posting those Bruce. I assume it is not the same copy of that record between recording? Even so it's an interesting comparison.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just listened using a standard Korg - from start the file ForDuke 1 seems much cleaner and free from vinyl tracking artifacts than the ForDuke 2. Bass definition also seemed better. But I will wait for the PCM files, that I can listen in a much higher quality DAC for the final appreciation.

fbhifi

Dec 20, 2013
Okatie, SC
A fellow NVS owner made me aware of this thread and I feel compelled to comment. Recently I've been absent from posting on the audio forums. The primary reason is that I've finally achieved a satisfaction level with my system and have been spending my free time listening to music, rather than searching for answers to system related shortcomings on the Internet. I've owned the NVS for several years now and am completely, blissfully happy with it's performance. When a transducer is right your ears, brain and gut know it. That's where I'm at. I've got it mated with an Ortofon A90 and Durand Talea arm. It's my understanding that the NVS was voiced with the A90 and Talea. Perhaps this has some bearing on the "rightness" of the turntable playback in my system. Aside from this likely synergy I do believe a well executed direct-drive turntable is superior to most, if not all, belt-drive 'tables. The speed accuracy of direct-drive adds greatly to correct pitch and a realistic sense of rhythm and pace. The build quality of the NVS is beyond reproach, as is the incredible crating system for safe transport. I've never had one problem of any kind- truly plug and play.

I am an acquatance of Mike L. who has owned many high-end 'tables over the years and has settled on the NVS after years with the legendary Sirius III as his most recent reference. I don't particularly care what equipment other people own, but my interactions with Mike have led me to feel that he's a very straight shooting guy and a very knowledgeable, mature audiophile who truly loves music and not stereo equipment. This resonates strongly with me.

So, in conclusion, the NVS is the best turntable I've ever heard or owned, it's a stone cold steal compared to the handful of highly regaded mega-buck tables available and my wanderlust for that next 'table upgrade is non-existent. It's a keeper!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing