What Do You Do To Break In Your Cables?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Ha ha ha...so funny I almost forgot to laugh.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
MIT Cables mentions what they recommend for their cables and they say to just put them in the system and play music 24/7 and about 10 days should fully break them in. They also say to NOT use cable break in boxes as they can actually damage the passive components that they use, so cable break in boxes are NOT what some of these companies recommend. Just playing music for 100 hours or so is about what is recommended.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
To pick up this thread again, what about burning in a (good) power cord running outlet to computer, or soon with an UberBuss in the middle? Normally for burnin, ICs and power cords need to be fed a signal but don't need the terminal end to be running, but I've assumed that doesn't apply to this situation, i.e., the computer not needing to be on. Assuming it does, is there need for additional load, such as A/V and other programs (e.g., A-V scanner) continuously running? I've been using music or a burnin track, but have been wondering how much is really useful. Sorry, refrig not available... Thoughts?

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I haven't wasted time burning in cables or interconnects. I just listen. Don't get me wrong I fully believe in the changes different cabling have on our set-up and that they improve a bit over time. I just have never had a cable swap make me want to stop listening. That is good listening time you will never get back.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
MIT Cables mentions what they recommend for their cables and they say to just put them in the system and play music 24/7 and about 10 days should fully break them in. They also say to NOT use cable break in boxes as they can actually damage the passive components that they use, so cable break in boxes are NOT what some of these companies recommend. Just playing music for 100 hours or so is about what is recommended.

That's not up to date and if you go to Alan's website, you can read the reason. MIT for whatever the reason never updated their site,

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Actually MIT has their 2/2 Rule. 75% of performance in 2 days and 100% in 2 weeks. And I will say with their MA-X SHD cables it takes all of 2 weeks. I had speaker interfaces repaired, they replaced 2 modules according to them, I've had them running 24/7 for 12 days now and noticed huge improvement when I sat down to listen yesterday and today. They had stagnated for a week or so until Monday night. I thought they had maxed out but I was very wrong.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I haven't wasted time burning in cables or interconnects. I just listen. Don't get me wrong I fully believe in the changes different cabling have on our set-up and that they improve a bit over time. I just have never had a cable swap make me want to stop listening. That is good listening time you will never get back.

I have such enjoyable listening after good cables have sufficiently burnedin that some downtime from listening has seemed a small trade off, and often a chance to catch up on other things.

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Just got an email from the cord maker, who has experience with music servers, that it's enough to leave the computer on, i.e., electricity is running through it. I wonder what the difference is between that cables hooked from preamp to amp or dac to powered speakers, where the common story is only the source end has to be running.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
I'm a happy owner of a cooker from Alan.

Those devices can damage some cables. So, I would highly suggest talking to the cable mfg to see what would work best. I personally use MIT and Transparent cables and they've told me that since they have passive components in their cables that burn in boxes can damage the product, so for those two companies, burn in boxes are not recommended. Just a word of caution.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Those devices can damage some cables. So, I would highly suggest talking to the cable mfg to see what would work best. I personally use MIT and Transparent cables and they've told me that since they have passive components in their cables that burn in boxes can damage the product, so for those two companies, burn in boxes are not recommended. Just a word of caution.

Rich, What models of MIT and Transparent cables do you use and how did you break in your cables? Do you mix the two brands or are they in different systems?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Rich what cables??? Will you stop passing along dated and incorrect information regarding MIT?

And you are full of it as far as Transparent cables go. I've spoken directly to Josh @ Transparent before I began a recent phono cable survey and he assured me it was fine to use Alan's unit on their cables.

In fact, there are no cable manufacturers that I've run into, and I've had dozens of cables in house in the last 2-3 years, that prefer that I don't use the Cable Cooker, Nordost Vidar, Hagerman, etc. The only one who asked me not to burn his cables in was Paul Kaplan who had already preburned the cables in before he sent them to me.

http://www.audioexcellenceaz.com/pr...ble-cooker-cable-conditioner/#jp-carousel-175

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
Rich, What models of MIT and Transparent cables do you use and how did you break in your cables? Do you mix the two brands or are they in different systems?

I've owned a variety of their products over the years. But go to MIT cables website! there is an article that there is a link that discusses burn in of their products and I follow their instructions. Some of the cables I had and still have are/were their 330's, 750's. Just go to MIT cables site and look the link on the bottom right hand side called Installationa and burn in.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
Rich what cables??? Will you stop passing along dated and incorrect information regarding MIT?

And you are full of it as far as Transparent cables go. I've spoken directly to Josh @ Transparent before I began a recent phono cable survey and he assured me it was fine to use Alan's unit on their cables.

In fact, there are no cable manufacturers that I've run into, and I've had dozens of cables in house in the last 2-3 years, that prefer that I don't use the Cable Cooker, Nordost Vidar, Hagerman, etc. The only one who asked me not to burn his cables in was Paul Kaplan who had already preburned the cables in before he sent them to me.

http://www.audioexcellenceaz.com/pr...ble-cooker-cable-conditioner/#jp-carousel-175

Go to MIT's website, they have a page dedicate to installation an burn in an they clearly say NO. I just used that information and related it to Transparent and when I bought my first set of cables, I asked Burn in and they said, just hook them up and give it some time. They never mentioned burn in boxes. So that's how I derived at the nonsense of using a burn in box. It's better just to plug them into a system and let them burn in the way they are to be used.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
Go to MIT's website, they have a page dedicate to installation an burn in an they clearly say NO. I just used that information and related it to Transparent and when I bought my first set of cables, I asked Burn in and they said, just hook them up and give it some time. They never mentioned burn in boxes. So that's how I derived at the nonsense of using a burn in box. It's better just to plug them into a system and let them burn in the way they are to be used.

They are in two different systems. I just plug the cables in, run music 24/7 for two weeks before I do any critical listening tests on the system. I use that same approach on ANY change to the system. I might hear something initially, but to do any critical listening tests, I wait a while until I'm confident that the product has had time to settle. But I just don't think speeding up the process with some external box is going to work. MIT says NO, emphatically. I just don't see any reason to spend money on something I don't really need. Plugging a device and using it is how it was designed. If the company does it at their end, then that's their decision, but I don't believe in anything other than just plugging the product in and letting it run under normal conditions for a couple of weeks and that should be all that's required.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Rich, I'm curious to know which Transparent cables you use. You stated above in post #51 that you "personally use" both MIT and Transparent cables. What exactly does that mean? Do you use them in the same system and mix and match them, or are they being used in different systems? Or do you not really own them, but "used" them in the past, or what? You heard them somewhere? This might help to explain the advice you are offering us on this forum regarding break in methods. And with respect, if you did not ask Transparent about burn in boxes, how do you know what they think about them?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

That seems plausible to me considering the circuitry inside the boxes. I wouldn't use a burn in device for my MIT cables. I did have Nordost burn the crap out of my Odin cables which are nothing more than wire.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Go to MIT's website, they have a page dedicate to installation an burn in an they clearly say NO.

You obviously have a reading problem as I've already posted that info is outdated. Not to mention that nice pic of MIT cables being burned in.

Wrong.
Posted by alan m. kafton (M) on September 15, 2010 at 17:53:30
In Reply to: RE: REVIEW: MIT Cables Magnum M1.3 Proline Cable posted by thebordas on September 15, 2010 at 03:02:15:

Also, it is NOT recommended that you use "cable Cookers" on MIT cables as they may damage the networks.

This statement is completely wrong and totally misinformed. There are numerous models and versions of MIT cables (including Oracle) that have successfully been conditioned on the Cable Cooker in its 10+ years of production. Nor have any MIT cables ever been damaged when conditioned on the Cable Cooker.

This fact (and history) was submitted directly to MIT a while ago (via e-mail) by yours truly, in addressing their generalized statement about "these devices" on their website. They may have had an incident with the Duo-Tech unit many years ago, and presumed all such devices are the same, but the Cable Cooker is a completely different design, and far more efficacious. If you are getting this information from their website, or second hand, I am hereby correcting it. And if MIT hasn't corrected this misstatement, I shall resubmit my request.

In point of fact, the Luminator has perhaps the longest and best experience with Cooking MIT cabling over the years, and has reported his successive results on his blog. Regardless of the sonic benefits, there has been NO DAMAGE WHATSOEVER with any of the models of MIT he's conditioned. Luminator can assert this independently, if you choose to contact him. Perhaps he would also be so kind as to list all the models he's treated for everyone's benefit, and for the record.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/cables/messages/14/149584.html

I just used that information and related it to Transparent and when I bought my first set of cables, I asked Burn in and they said, just hook them up and give it some time. They never mentioned burn in boxes. So that's how I derived at the nonsense of using a burn in box. It's better just to plug them into a system and let them burn in the way they are to be used.

Oh, who at TA did you speak to? And what did you expect them to answer given your question? You said it would damage the cables. Did they say it would damage the cables? Again, I spoke with the President of TA and he said the Cable Cooker will not damage the cables.

And just to prove consistency isn't always a virtue, you always avoid answering the question. So please tell us: WHAT ARE ALL THOSE CABLES THAT ARE DAMAGED USING CABLE BURN-IN DEVICES????

In fact, the only nonsense is what's coming out of your mouth. Since you've never tried the unit (s) mentioned to burn cables in, you have no idea of what you're talking about. Nor even compared three identical cables, new, used and burned-in. Period. You simply have no idea about what you're talking about

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing