MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Going to be in LA soon, so this article's timing was perfect!

Anybody got other tips, outside of this list?

Thanks,
alexandre

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Thanks,
alexandre

The only one to go to is Amoeba. If it is anything like the Amoeba in the SF Bay Area you will find almost anything there

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The only one to go to is Amoeba. If it is anything like the Amoeba in the SF Bay Area you will find almost anything there

Oh, I've been to Amoeba in LA, a few times already actually. If anything, it's BIGGER than the SF stores. I had to come back multiple days, covering different sections of the store. Good thing they stay open until later.

alexandre

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Amoeba is big, but big isn't always better my beef with them is they mishandle the vinyl. their buyers at the front desk slam them down like so many old newspapers. what vinyl they do sell is, imo over-priced equal to high ebay pricing - even if its scuffed to death (VG+) with split seams. compared to the stores mentioned in the article, Ameoba's used CD selection is better than their vinyl. for film buffs their DVD section upstairs is unequalled but again expensive

otoh, there are some stores on that list (no, i'm not saying which:p) put out everything and price it below ebay/discogs and they know it, its smart business in my opinion and keeps them coming back. I know it works on me and they're getting to remember what I like and save it for me when I stop in - just like the good ol' days.:D
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

the attached pic of Ameobas' Hollywood store is from the 2nd floor looking down, the middle section with the yellow colored dividers are CDs (majority of the store) the section left of the pic is new vinyl and the opening at the back leads into another room that's primarily used jazz/blues/classical CDs and collector vinyl hanging on the walls. not shown is the section to the right, with more music and ephemera.

Attachments

• 2011-11-24-Screenshot20111123at11_29_24PM.jpg
    2011-11-24-Screenshot20111123at11_29_24PM.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I agree, if you're going to run a brick and mortar store, keep it in the store. I've seen stores that actually put the LPs they auction on eBay on the wall, but then refer you to eBay if you want to buy them... It's likely these guys are not around anymore.

As for Amoeba, I got quite a few bargains at in the $3-7 range for vinyl. Not the most pristine condition, and not original first pressings of course, but worthwhile for those gaps in the collection that must be filled :) The CDs are indeed interesting, specially the jazz section...

alexandre

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
That is EVIL!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!

it's the crate diggers code of silence, no self-respecting 'digger will hand that kind of intel over on a silver platter - unless you're fellow digger and qualify them by evidence of dirty fingers and pant knees soiled from grimy floors. a disheveled look often completes the image. :)

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Thanks,
alexandre

Record Surplus in Santa Monica is a fairly large, used vinyl store that I frequent. I have yet to venture to Silver Lake and go to all the Origamis of the world. Its hipster paradise over there which isn't my thing.

KeithR

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Record Surplus in Santa Monica is a fairly large, used vinyl store that I frequent. I have yet to venture to Silver Lake and go to all the Origamis of the world. Its hipster paradise over there which isn't my thing.

KeithR

I checked out the santa monica blvd store recently, its a mere shadow of their former location on Pico Blvd (one of my favorite haunts years ago) . there aren't many record stores left on the Westside, imo silver lake and eagle rock are your best bets and the hipsters don't bother me :). theres a new vinyl scene around NoHo/arts district out to Burbank that's worth checking out. I think poo bahs in Pasadena is still around I cant say its still good I haven't been there in ages.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
The best overall vinyl shopping experience I have had was in Tokyo. Japanese pressings aren't always the best for sound quality, but the experience was a real trip... just too much digging fun :)

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Oh yeah, Tokyo is really something else. There's nowhere else in the world like it, I guess. A trip to a Disk Union will bring back your hopes for the music industry!
everything about those stores was awesome. The diversity is staggering, the average condition of the records was amazing, 70s albums that looked no older than a brand new LP.
and prices for local pressings were reasonable! In my experience, the next best thing to an original is the Japanese pressing....
The only problem is actually locating the stores, since the address system in Tokyo is too damn weird, and most of the stores are tucked away in huge galleries.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing