Shunyata on Stillpoints

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
How is it possible this has escaped the attention of the "cost no object" guys (hanging around here in droves)!

It has been brought to my attention that the Shunyata insiders use Stillpoint Ultra 5's with their Triton / Typhons. How could we have missed this opportunity to sink another $5-$10K into our system. It is not too late yet - get out the checkbook.

As for me, I just picked up a bunch of Ultra AL's for $90 each on audiogon, so I'll be doing this on the cheap (and 80% of the performance for 20% of the cost), but stillpoints it is.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting...where did you see this? the reason of course is that there is a long thread heavily involving none other than our own founder which is all about Triton/Typhon. have you posted this there?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Interesting...where did you see this? the reason of course is that there is a long thread heavily involving none other than our own founder which is all about Triton/Typhon. have you posted this there?

The information comes directly from Shunyata. I'll post on the "Caelin" thread.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I use Mapleshade Micropoint brass footers under my Triton, and almost all electronics in both the two channel and HT/surround system. At $185 for three, it is a great value for the improvement in sound. My two channel Cyclops, for the amps, and my Hydra AV in the HT are on the Shunyata spikes, since they sit on the floor carpet.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I use Mapleshade Micropoint brass footers under my Triton, and almost all electronics in both the two channel and HT/surround system. At $185 for three, it is a great value for the improvement in sound. My two channel Cyclops, for the amps, and my Hydra AV in the HT are on the Shunyata spikes, since they sit on the floor carpet.

you don't spike through the carpet do you? I was told not to do that but rather use the brass plugs that come with the SSF

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

I tried Ultra 5s under my 2 Typhons that are sitting on carpet. I preferred the Shunyata spikes. I put the equipped small round discs under the spikes.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
you don't spike through the carpet do you? I was told not to do that but rather use the brass plugs that come with the SSF

Yes. To anchor it to the wood under the carpet. To me, it seems the spikes, and power conditioner, would just be 'floating' on the round platters sitting on the carpet. I follow Mapleshade's advice on spiking.

Steve Williams

Yes. To anchor it to the wood under the carpet. To me, it seems the spikes, and power conditioner, would just be 'floating' on the round platters sitting on the carpet. I follow Mapleshade's advice on spiking.

Interesting because I was told by the folks at Shunyata not to spike through the carpet but rather to spike on top of the supplied brass disks

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I tried Ultra 5s under my 2 Typhons that are sitting on carpet. I preferred the Shunyata spikes. I put the equipped small round discs under the spikes.

Interesting...what were the differences in sound?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Interesting...what were the differences in sound?

I thought there was a touch more weight to the presentation when sitting on the Shunyata spikes with the discs under the spikes. Everything else seemed to be the same. Went back and forth a couple of times.
I didn't really move the Ultra 5s around under the Typhons.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I thought there was a touch more weight to the presentation when sitting on the Shunyata spikes with the discs under the spikes. Everything else seemed to be the same. Went back and forth a couple of times.
I didn't really move the Ultra 5s around under the Typhons.

I thought you might say that...I think I know exactly what you mean. There was 1 review actually on Stillpoints website which noted something similar. I found maybe 1db+ down in lower mid/upper bass...where the notes slimmed down a bit. Less 'weight' right where I really wanted it when listening to electronic, deep house...jazz was ok...but even solo piano felt lite in certain areas of the keys. I put HRS Nimbus Couplers on top of the Ultra 5s and all the weight came back...I have since put Nimbus couplers on top of 8 Ultra 5s where I found this 'weight' issue, and I got weight back plus kept all the clarity from the Ultra 5s.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I'm quite happy with the Shunyata SSF. No doubt the Stillpoints would improve the sonics

I am also happy with the SSF. I wonder if my Nordost Sort Kones would have any effect.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Interesting because I was told by the folks at Shunyata not to spike through the carpet but rather to spike on top of the supplied brass disks

In our testing, the Hydra sounds better when the stainless steel (not brass BTW) disc is under the point the of the cone. This is true when the Hydra sits on a shelf or on a carpeted floor.

You would spike a speaker into the floor (according to most speaker manufacturers) because you want to sink the vibration of the speaker cabinet into the mass of the floor. This effectively moves the vibration of the speaker cabinet into the floor. This is also the reason you don't want to spike the Hydra into the floor - because that vibrating floor is going to inject it into the Hydra chassis.

I believe that StillPoints has a different point of view on the treatment of speakers. In each case that I have used an Ultra on a speaker it has been an improvement but each speaker and floor is different so YMMV.

Steve Williams

In our testing, the Hydra sounds better when the stainless steel (not brass BTW) disc is under the point the of the cone. This is true when the Hydra sits on a shelf or on a carpeted floor.

You would spike a speaker into the floor (according to most speaker manufacturers) because you want to sink the vibration of the speaker cabinet into the mass of the floor. This effectively moves the vibration of the speaker cabinet into the floor. This is also the reason you don't want to spike the Hydra into the floor - because that vibrating floor is going to inject it into the Hydra chassis.

I believe that StillPoints has a different point of view on the treatment of speakers. In each case that I have used an Ultra on a speaker it has been an improvement but each speaker and floor is different so YMMV.

sorry to call them brass :) Caelin but I do remember being told not to spike them and have them on the stainless steel disks. Owners instructions are very specific as well not to sit the Triton or Typhon on the carpet with the stock feet as sound could become muddy

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Caelin,

I have my Triton and Typhon on a Grand Prix Audio Silverstone rack. Separate shelves for each. I am using the stock feet. Think I should try your SSF feet?

Steve Williams

Caelin,

I have my Triton and Typhon on a Grand Prix Audio Silverstone rack. Separate shelves for each. I am using the stock feet. Think I should try your SSF feet?

SSF were a positive addition in my system. I have 4 sets of the SSF

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My bro uses SSF under his Cyclops' (amps) and Critical Mass RiZEs under his Triton and Typhons (sources, pre). I'm seriously looking at getting a pair of Cyclops' for my four mono blocks, I have a bunch of RiZEs on order just for that purpose. Love being in a 230v country. :)

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I've been experimenting with Shunyata spikes, Stillpoints Ultra 5s and Black Diamond racing inserts under the TYPHONS that are in parallel with my amps. Because of space constraints and no room left on my rack, I've had the TYPHONS on the carpeting. The Ultra 5s added weight and tightened the bass considerably but it was at the expense of soundstage layering, depth and width. Music seemed to lose life with the Ultra 5s as well compared to using the Shunyata spikes.

I went to my storage room and pulled out a couple of Zoethecus amp stands I had back there. Put the Shunyata spikes on the TYPHONS and placed the spikes into some Black Diamond Racing inserts I had lying around, that all went on the amp stands which I managed to squeeze into place. That really did the trick! I have it all now! Weight, even better bass and the soundstage is amazing!! Get the Shunyata boxes off the floor and on to some type of stand. Major improvement!

It really is unbelievable how the presentation of your system can change depending on the support you use under these Shunyata boxes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing