Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Tequila For Sipping?

WBF Founding Member

Best Tequila For Sipping?

I've just become curious so I've done some reading. Names that pop up often on best of lists are Don Juliio, Casa Noble, Herradura, Tesoro. Aficionados seem to frown on Patron. What thinks ye? Any tequila connoisseurs out there?

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    I can vouch for Herradura but I don't know the others
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    Industry Affiliation........Lamm Dealer
    My System

WBF Founding Member/Member Sponsor rblnr's Avatar
    For better or worse , I'm a huge tequila fan w/about 20 bottles or so. First off, make sure it's 100% agave -- everything you list is. If it doesn't say so on the label, it isn't real tequila as a cheaper sugar source is used for fermentation in addition to the agave. If you look at a standard Cuervo label, it won't say 100% agave. Second thing is to try the three types: Blanco, Reposado, and Anejo. It's a completely mistaken notion to think that more aging means better. Blanco is unaged and gives you the straightest agave plant flavor, which ranges from peppery/spicy to fruity. Reposado is aged less than a year, typically in oak casks. You get some mellowness and wood flavor, and pick up some yellow/gold color as well. Anejo is aged over a year -- it's the most woody tasting, scotch-like really, and is the least agave forward. Gold to brown in color.

I love the agave flavor and don't like scotch, so I stick to blancos and reposados. Some favorites include 4 Copas blanco -- organic and toward the spicy side. Cabo Wabo blanco -- toward fruity. Chinaco reposado -- somewhere in the middle. Casa Noble reposado -- very complex. Dos Abuelos blanco (bought in Mex., don't know if it's avail here) - balanced. Clase Azul reposado -- aged in sherry casks which gives a slight sweetness to the imparted woodiness -- amazing, unique, expensive here. All of the above are very smooth. There are obviously a ton of other good brands including Herradura and Partida.

Patron is fine if perhaps less complex than some other blancos. The king of the hill always takes some knocks. Their Citronage orange liquor is absolutely the best orange spirit out there, spectacular for margaritas.f A knock on Patron and some other of the big lot manufacturers is that they use machine presses on the agave for some of their tequila to make the pulp, then rinse of the remaining pulp on the machines into the mix, thus watering down the agave a bit. Dos Abuelos, for example, does it the old way -- stone paddles mash the agave, no water added -- but their output is probably 1/1000 of patron.

Quote Originally Posted by rblnr View Post
    For better or worse , I'm a huge tequila fan w/about 20 bottles or so.
    Better. Definitely not worse!

I love the agave flavor and don't like scotch, so I stick to blancos and reposados.
    Interesting observation. You might be on to something here. I love scotch and my favorite tequilas are anejos.

Some favorites include 4 Copas blanco -- organic and toward the spicy side. Cabo Wabo blanco -- toward fruity. Chinaco reposado -- somewhere in the middle. Casa Noble reposado -- very complex. Dos Abuelos blanco (bought in Mex., don't know if it's avail here) - balanced. Clase Azul reposado -- aged in sherry casks which gives a slight sweetness to the imparted woodiness -- amazing, unique, expensive here. All of the above are very smooth. There are obviously a ton of other good brands including Herradura and Partida.
    I drank Herradura Anejo for years but in the last few years have branched out. The 4 Copas Anejo is absolutely delicious. I have a bottle of the Casa Noble Anejo that I'm about half-way through; it is good but no match for the 4 Copas.

Interesting you mention the Clase Azul. I have a bottle - is that the right word for the porcelain container in which it comes? - of the reposado that I'm about 80% through and it is one of my favorites. I'm anxious to try the Clase Azul anejo.

Patron is fine if perhaps less complex than some other blancos.
    It burns clean but is easily (IMO) surpassed by other blancos. Actually, I'm amazed Patron blanco is sold as much as it is. Great marketing, I suspect.

Obviously, just like beer, wine, art, etc., everyone's tastes are different. Its just that mine are right.
    Peace.

Ron Party

Yeah , Patron was the first and best w/'premium' tequila marketing. As I said, I think it's fine, but it's never my choice. If you like the reposado, I'm sure you'll love the Clase Azul anejo. Kinda caramel-y if I remember correctly.

WBF Founding Member
    I wonder if I can extrapolate anything from my wine habits. The trend in wine is more and more French Oak in order to satisfy "international" tastes. French Oak can add a nice taste, but unless it's a wine built for long aging and you've aged it a long time, the oak can and often does cover the unique taste of the fruit resulting in wines that taste similar no matter where they are made. So, I am a little tired of the taste of French Oak in wine and look for wine that isn't heavily oaked.

This makes me suspicious of anejos and extra anejos.

Is there a similar issue in tequila?

Just reading around, I see French Oak aging touted quite often.

I'm partial to Don Julio, myself. However, last weekend I had some Pueblo Viejo. A buddy brought it back from Mexico. Not sure if you can buy it here or not. But damn! It is some smooth tequila.

Best Tequilas - premio Mayahuel 2010,

Blancos - Pura Sangre (La Tequilera)
    Reposado - Reserva 1800
    Aņejo - Maestro Tequilero
    Extra Aņejo - Reserva Jose Cuervo
    Reposado Premium - Viuda de Romero

I am not a big Tequila fan (prefer Mezcal instead) but lean towards white ones rather than reposado or aņejos.

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    Fernando

We need to take your recommendations
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    Industry Affiliation........Lamm Dealer
    My System

I like Purasangre too. Am going to Mexico in Nov. and will be leaving room in the suitcase for a haul. Any Mezcal recs?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast