Pass XA60.5

Blazar

Oct 28, 2014
I have the Pass Labs XA30.8. Running Avantgarde horns, this amp sounds EXCELLENT. Not sure how exactly to be poetic using audiophile terminology. With high sensitivity speakers, extreme quiet (hiss) is needed among other things, and these deliver. Other amps that I have tried with these high efficiency speakers did not work out well.

Careful that that Point 8 series will NOT fit in a standard audio rack. This was a serious issue for me that was solved by hefting this monster (very heavy) to the top of the rock. I literally used what would look like ancient egyptian techniques to get this monster up to the top of my very tall rack.

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
My Pass XA60.5's are awesome on my Strads. More than enough power for me with depth, width and a touch of sweetness.
Hi Joe
Seems you have experience with the Devialet 400 and Pass Labs Xa 60.5. I was considering Devialet for my Sashas but thought they were organic sounding like the Pass Labs Xa series.
How does the Devialet 400 compare to the Xa 60.5?

InfernoSTi

Oct 31, 2010
Careful that that Point 8 series will NOT fit in a standard audio rack. This was a serious issue for me that was solved by hefting this monster (very heavy) to the top of the rock. I literally used what would look like ancient egyptian techniques to get this monster up to the top of my very tall rack.

I have the XA-30.5 and put it on a 4" maple platform that, itself, weighs 50 lbs. The platform has spikes that I have with Herbie's Gliders underneath to isolate it from the floor. This seemed better than putting it in a rack. The maple platform helps the amp sound it's best and I didn't have to lift it higher than a few inches.

John

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I have Pass Labs xa 30.5 driving Sashas.
upgrading and looks like I am leaning towards XA160.5 and not Xa100.5

Hi Alfa100,

I had the XA100.5's about 2 years ago. While I loved the mids and treble, the bass was overdone and a little too soft/flabby. While I have not personally heard the XA160.5, I'd choose it over the XA100.5 because I've heard from friends that it is more balanced and tighter overall in the bass.

Hi Joe
Seems you have experience with the Devialet 400 and Pass Labs Xa 60.5. I was considering Devialet for my Sashas but thought they were organic sounding like the Pass Labs Xa series.
How does the Devialet 400 compare to the Xa 60.5?

I am thinking about replacing my XA50.5's with the 60.8's. I have to say that I think the Devialet 400 has the edge over the 60.5's. It is extremely quiet and music emerges from complete blackness. The 60.5's may have a tiny bit more depth but the width and height is as good or, I think, even better on the D400. The Devialet is smooth and sweet with detail and clarity that you don't get from the 60.5's. Don't get me wrong, the XA60.5 are amazing but the power and package of the Devialet is so satisfying. There is no heat to speak of with the D400. This is very important in the summer. You really have to accept the D400 as a preamp, dac, phono stage and amp all in one. It's the entire system, not just an amp.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Joe
Did you replace your amp with the Xa 60.8 and what is your impression.

Hi,

I have not. I don't plan on doing anything with the 60.5's until I can actually hear the point 8's in my system. I absolutely love my XA60.5's so much that I am afraid to sell them. Now that the point 5's are being discontinued, I think I will hang on to them. If I do anything, I will add a pair of point 8's.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I had the XA100.5's about 2 years ago. While I loved the mids and treble, the bass was overdone and a little too soft/flabby. While I have not personally heard the XA160.5, I'd choose it over the XA100.5 because I've heard from friends that it is more balanced and tighter overall in the bass.

Late to this thread but ..

Looks like I'm the 3rd one on this thread who's had the exact experience with XA100.5s. And while I wouldn't mind moving to the XA160.5 they are both cost and heat prohibitive for me. Lesson learned - I've found a new appreciation for my Wells Audio Inamorata which at less than 1/2 the price comes within 98% of the XA100.5s mids and high with much, much better bass control and detail. Sans space heater experience also.. YMMV

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing