Time to remove the tarnish from those HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses again

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Has anyone confirmed this with the manufacturer that this was their intent with their logo? The schematic symbol for a diode is cathode to anode which means negative to positive and not "plus to minus." You would have to flip the fuse to the opposite direction if you expected that configuration.

This is from the manufacturers website..Hi-Fi Tuning. they actually provide measurements for each fuse based on 'Direction 1' and 'Direction 2'. They go on to say:

"There is a measurable difference in directivity of fuses. Mostly that will be due to the way
the melting wire is manufactured. The difference is in the range of 5 % . That is in the
range of variations due to the factoring process, but the difference is measurable with all
types of fuses.
The resistance of the fuse itself is dependent on the length and thickness of the melting
wire. At pure DC- resistance measurements, of the commercial available fuses, the solder
type with leads gives the best results. Worst results gives the fuse with a glass tube and
spiral shaped melting wire.
The high end fuses all give better results in conductivity, the cryogenically treated fuses
from HiFi -Tuning give the best results, while the rhodium coated fuse from Padis gives
the highest DC- resistance..
For DC applications it´s recommended to use the solder type fuse or the cryogenically
treated fuses from HiFi-Tuning Germany..."

budda

Mar 29, 2013
Norway
Has anyone tried Cardas Contact Conditioner on the fuses.That should leave a conductive oil film on the contact aerie and maybe help.

Cyclotronguy

Aug 31, 2012
N. CA
The various oxides of copper are conductive as opposed to say oxides of copper, which are not. That said, one could I suppose clean the fuse and then apply a very thin film of dielectric grease to the silver end caps.

Aoyama

Jun 3, 2013
Brazil
Hello,

I clean my fuse with polishing cloth and CorrosionX. First remove the corrosion with polishing cloth and then with corrosionX and again the polishing cloth to remove the excess.

[]s

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The various oxides of copper are conductive as opposed to say oxides of copper, which are not. That said, one could I suppose clean the fuse and then apply a very thin film of dielectric grease to the silver end caps.
We have a small typo here.

YES, a typo.

The oxides of SILVER are conductive whereas the oxides of copper are not.

Oxides of silver are also more self limiting in film thickness, while copper will corrode more deeply into the parent metal.

I'm still more than a little quizzical about a fuse having polarity with a 60 Hz current.

Chuck Lee

Feb 5, 2015
Twice a year I clean my HiFI Supremes with Caig De-Oxit.
Then I apply a thin coat of Walker Extreme SST silver paste to the areas of the fuse that make contact with the fuse holders, which have also been cleaned with the Caig.

Twice a year to all contacts in the system isn't a big chore, it's like checking the smoke alarms.

About polarity,I have heard a difference in sound when the direction of the fuse is changed.Sometimes the arrows aren't an indicator of how to place them.
Where I thought the flow of electricity should follow the arrows, the sound was better the other way around.

What I heard as the correct direction, was when the sound took on a more full bodied, rounded dimension.
Not night and day differences, but audible just the same.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing