Time to remove the tarnish from those HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses again

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The leads on mine were tarnished to varying degrees. This time I am going to seal with electrical tape...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Did you take any pictures?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
yes i've noticed this on some of mine...can't be good...

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
The leads on mine were tarnished to varying degrees. This time I am going to seal with electrical tape...

Noticed the same on mine , how does electrical tape help ?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Here, I missed one

fuse1.jpg

fuse2.jpg

I meant electrical tape around the exposed part of sockets - not the fuses - for atmospheric isolation; it's probably not going to do much...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

mep

Apr 20, 2010
are the fuse end caps made from pure silver?

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
With time the directional arrow gets smudged . So orientation while realigning the fuses , does cause some bother

mep

Apr 20, 2010
are you referring to their logo which shows the schematic symbol for a diode as being the directional arrow?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
are the fuse end caps made from pure silver?

Yes. Also, thinking that the fuse element itself might be affected, I went ahead and sealed the gap between the end caps and the ceramic body with glue, and let the glue set for 6 hours.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Yes. Also, thinking that the fuse element itself might be affected, I went ahead and sealed the gap between the end caps and the ceramic body with glue, and let the glue set for 6 hours.

Who would have thought you had to do routine maintenance on fuses?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
high end performance, high end pains :D

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
are you referring to their logo which shows the schematic symbol for a diode as being the directional arrow?

Yes .. the diode symbol doubles up as a directional arrow 'hot to neutral or plus to minus' ....

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Yes .. the diode symbol doubles up as a directional arrow 'hot to neutral or plus to minus' ....

Has anyone confirmed this with the manufacturer that this was their intent with their logo? The schematic symbol for a diode is cathode to anode which means negative to positive and not "plus to minus." You would have to flip the fuse to the opposite direction if you expected that configuration.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Has anyone confirmed this with the manufacturer that this was their intent with their logo? The schematic symbol for a diode is cathode to anode which means negative to positive and not "plus to minus." You would have to flip the fuse to the opposite direction if you expected that configuration.

Thanks for the clarification , not directly from the manufacturer , more hearsay and stuff on the net . There is however a definite difference in final results , depending on how you align the fuse. Any thoughts on a fuse being directional ?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks for the clarification , not directly from the manufacturer , more hearsay and stuff on the net . There is however a definite difference in final results , depending on how you align the fuse. Any thoughts on a fuse being directional ?

That's what I thought. Fuses have been around for many, many years and to my knowledge, no manufacturer has ever assigned a polarity direction to their fuses because there is none. Assigning polarity direction to a fuse is something that audiophiles discovered. If you are worried about a 3/4" long piece of wire, how do you know that all of the hook-up wire in your amp and preamp is oriented in the 'correct' polarity?

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
That's what I thought. Fuses have been around for many, many years and to my knowledge, no manufacturer has ever assigned a polarity direction to their fuses because there is none. Assigning polarity direction to a fuse is something that audiophiles discovered. If you are worried about a 3/4" long piece of wire, how do you know that all of the hook-up wire in your amp and preamp is oriented in the 'correct' polarity?

I do not , and there's nothing I can do about it , this little 3/4" piece of wire I can flip and help better things .

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I do not , and there's nothing I can do about it , this little 3/4" piece of wire I can flip and help better things .

Time to have some sleepless nights and wonder and worry...

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Time to have some sleepless nights and wonder and worry...

Nah, am good .. the Tibetan sound bowls, I recently installed promote tranquility ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing