Chasing hum: Two great iPhone apps to isolate hum in your analog chain

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Being OCD with all things audio, I have taken on a task to minimize or eliminate any residual hum in my Pass XP-25 (as rendered at max preamp gain) and have found a number of interesting things. For one, a lot of owners claim the XP-25 is very susceptible to magnetic fields, and place them as far away as possible from everything else; for another, Pass warns you to place the power supply unit far away from the amplification unit (some owners report no issues if it sits on the side); then, there is the whole different issue of hum picked up upstream by the arm, phono cable, etc; and finally, hum emitted by surrounding power cords, components and all other electronic devices.

Assuming one has properly star-grounded all components and properly grounded the analog chain, there are magnetic fields generated all over the place: from power supplies, to unshielded cords (or shielded cords with unshielded power connectors), even "mysterious" sources (see below). In my quest, I found two free relevant iPhone apps that are an eye opener in tracking down magnetic fields, and they both measure their strength in the X, Y and Z axes (I believe they just expose built-in functions in the phone):

1) https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magnetometer/id342782714 - this will quickly tell you where the strong magnetic fields are, and it will show you a grand total in microTesla (see app's pics)

2) https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sensor-kinetics/id579040333 - this one measures a lot of things, and also includes a magnetometer function, but it also graphs it - this is really important. If you happen to place your iphone over a power supply, you may just see the frequency fluctuations in all axes as a function of the change in the magnetic field strength. There will be no magnetic field leak if all axes converge on zero.

So here's what I found out in my system:

1) The Spectral amps are all "green" - this is really nice
2) The Spectral preamp's power supply area emits a "red" magnetic field, fairly high in intensity
3) The Spectral transport seems to have static magnetic fields in the back (ie. they exist even if not powered on)
4) The XP-25's power input section from its external power supply emits a "yellow" strength field - not sure what happens internally, though
5) The Alpha DAC is all "green" - consistent with my observations of its board layout and attention to noise attenuation throughout the unit
6) Now here is the most interesting thing of all, referring back to "mysterious" sources: the VPI's junction box (with or without a phono cable attached) - yes a passive component - emits a "red" field on the right channel area and a "yellow" one on the left.
7) I have posted before that the MIT MA-X phono cable's box appears to be acting as an antenna, and may not be extremely tight in its shielding

Before proceeding, let me repeat, I have no phono hum issues at high listening levels, I am just obsessing with what goes on at max preamp gain...

So #6 is really important to me and probably to other XP-25 owners as well, because most claim that the right channel has more noise than the left! In fact, with nothing connected to the XP-25, noise is exactly the same on both channels; it's only when you connect everything that the right channel all of a sudden has more hum than the left. The source, however, would appear to be nothing more than the VPI itself in my case.

The attack plan is to install mumetal (on order) where appropriate, to deviate unwanted magnetic fields away from the analog chain... and I have no idea what to do about the "magnetic" VPI junction box, other than attempt to demagnetize it.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
it wasn't until I replaced my JMW arm with a graham did I finally eradicate the last vestige of hum in my phono system. Bob's ic70 cable was the final link, he uses a unique grounding scheme that helps.

Brooks Berdan was opposed to metal j-boxes for his RCA interfaces. I recall his TNT 'table/Spotheim 'arm used acrylic for attaching the RCA interface he said it was for sonic reasons among others. the alu j-box on the JMW, which is in effect, grounded to the cartridge is attached to a metal base which contacts the arm pivot assembly and arm wand itself - its a veritable emf 'antenna' if you will.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I used both apps and found no interference. I had to stick it in front of my speakers to get red bars on the magnetometer app. I did have a hum issue previously with the XP-25 when I had the power supply directly below the gain stage on another shelf. I have since moved the power supply.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Ack,
I found your post interesting on multiple fronts. I live in a phono nightmare world. My set up is 25' from being directly under two sets of power lines. One is the standard issue, the other are the much higher voltage lines. They make great humming (more like sizzling) noises when they are wet. They inject quite a bit of RF into my system and really play havoc on my analog chain. They've defeated every SS phono to come my way, including a Pass Labs phono (Ono?) that was developed near a big radio tower in S.F., Ca. It was only by accident that I found tubes defeated or helped diminsh their effect. Insert a cable with the wrong type of shielding scheme and big problems happen. MC'c were much better than MM's at reducing the effect. I could have nothing spining and just turn my preamp up to nml. levels and get LP surface noise like "pops" coming through at regualr intervals. It took along time to figure out and realize not all my surface noise was real. I was in contact with a guy in the UK who was giving me great advice on how to track down/solve my RF issues. He had me walk around the inside and outside of the houseusing a transistor radio tuned btwn stations listening for RF interference. It was quite a eye opening adventure.
Of course finding it and defeating it are two different things! While I still have issues they are mostly kept at bay. My last remaining problem is my preamp which has a bit of hum coming from the right channel. It's been serviced and found okay. It's funny since the most/all the right channel electronics are on the under side of the preamp where there is more incidental shielding but it has the hum issue. I even brought home and updated version of my preamp and it had the same right channel hum and was even a bit worse.
I suppose one of these days I'll have to get a smart phone if not for some of the audio apps. I will be interested to read how you do solving your "red" zones.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Project KillNoise continues...

Grooves, great and informative response!

So the solution to my hum issues is so far three-fold:

1. RF-shielding of power cords' connectors and the MA-X phono cable's network box; the Shunyata power cords are shielded, but not the connectors
  2. mu-metal shielding of the XP-25
  3. mu-metal shielding of the MA-X's box

The RF-shield is simple copper tape and a metal braid for the power connectors (all RF shields are routed to a common ground) - using the Home Depot thingmajiggie, it's easy to verify the effectiveness on the power connectors (i.e. no buzzing from the instrument the moment you connect a braid to the ground). The audible benefits with phono are fairly evident, and more so with my FM tuner (probably because noise emission by connectors is greatly reduced).

The version of mu-metal I chose is 4-inch wide thin strips, cut to custom lengths: https://www.edmo.com/index.php?module=products&func=display&prod_id=18373&disp=desc&cat_id= . The material is easy to cut yourself, and has an adhesive backing. Again, with maximum preamp gain as a reference, hum reduction in the MA-X and XP-25 is simply staggering, about 10dB each. These products are not adequately shielded for my tastes. At this point, the used input on the XP-25 is quieter than the unused one, something that was never true before with any phono cable. Moreover, low-frequency noise is lower than high-frequency hiss - I call this success.

On the XP-25, I used two 13-inch strips on the bottom, and one 13-inch strip on the top, with the latter extending behind the unit's top plate as shown below:

IMG_8284-2.jpg

IMG_8283-2.jpg

Here's the MA-X with its RF-shield under one of the two required mu-metal pieces (didn't use the adhesive so I can slide those pieces, to access the articulation knob and impedance switch) - you can't see its ground wire, but it's there:

IMG_8279-2.jpg

Here's a power cord connector with its braid shield under the heat-shrink tubing plus its ground wire:

IMG_8204-2.jpg

Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Here's another view of the XP-25, along with copper tape around various power connectors during the testing and evaluation phase:

IMG_8273-2.jpg

I have also put mu-metal strips over every other MIT interconnect and speaker cables' boxes, as insurance policy.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The ad-mu80 mu-metal costs about $4 per inch of length (standard 4 inch width). mu-metal must NOT be bent too much out of shape, otherwise re-annealing is necessary, and that requires a high-temperature furnace in a hydrogen atmosphere - impractical here

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It's readily available from electronics outlets - just google it. I bought it from a local electronics store.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Shielded line-level cables

IMG_8535-2.JPG

IMG_8532-2.jpg

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I just love coincidences... was just reading the Oct 2013 TAS and the review of the MIT SL8 interconnects says: The SL8 did have the poorest rejection of 60Hz hum and noise

So the order of the day is, shield your MIT cables, just in case

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
I just love coincidences... was just reading the Oct 2013 TAS and the review of the MIT SL8 interconnects says: The SL8 did have the poorest rejection of 60Hz hum and noise

So the order of the day is, shield your MIT cables, just in case

There's a very simple solution, use balanced interconnection cables.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
There's a very simple solution, use balanced interconnection cables.

Keep in mind my MA-X is balanced

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
BTW, keep in mind there is a fundamental problem when claiming that balanced cables can reject noise picked up by the cable itself: it assumes that the noise is in phase with the signal itself - i.e. the positive phase of the noise precisely coincides with the positive phase of the signal, and likewise for the negative part - which is a complete shot in the dark; this is, then, one of the reasons you still have to shield a balanced cable.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
This is a source for 'copper ground strap' and other grounding materials.

http://www.gacopper.com/

People often write about using elevator stand-offs to keep their cables off the carpet. A better plan is to run a grounded copper strap from one equipment location to the other and place the cables on the strap. Ralph Morrison writes about doing this with industrial instrumentation cables. Tony Waldron writes about it also when audio wiring large TV or movie studio complexes.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
People often write about using elevator stand-offs to keep their cables off the carpet. A better plan is to run a grounded copper strap from one equipment location to the other and place the cables on the strap.

Precisely!

EDIT: This is really why I don't care for any type of "cable elevator", even those that route static to the carpet - that static isn't effectively grounded to anything unless your carpet is on dirt or something, and moreover, static can appear ON the carpet and may be routed back up to the cables. Only a "cable lifter" that eventually properly routes to the ground is effective, and I am not aware of any.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing