How to convert a string of albums in one directory to different sub-directories

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Hello,
I just ripped a few hundred CD's with EAC and can't recall it asked me, when setting it up, that each album should come in a separate folder.
Now I have the Totaldac server, it appears I (the system rather) should have saved all the albums in separate folders instead of one continuous folder....

Any clue how to easily get this done?

Many thanks in advance.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Ouch! That's going to be painful.

Only way I can think of would be to sort the folder by date/time created. Then, at least you will have the files from each CD together (unless you had more than one drive and ripped two of more CDs at the same time). Open another window, create folders with the Album name and drag and drop from the long folder to new folders.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Doesn't your music management software (such as foobar2000) offer you an option for sorting the music into subfolders automatically based on the metadata tags? I know I do it all the time (using beets on Linux), and I am pretty sure several of the packages for Windows have similar functionality.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Thanks, will look into this. As well into the use of Tag&Rename.

In my music applications (Synology Audio Station, windows media player) everything always presented ok, the different albums with their artwork etc.

But in the MPad application on my iPad (needed for the Totaldac D1 Server), the artwork cannot be found which is a real pain... (relatively speaking of course :)- )

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
OK, I found the solution: Tag&Rename does all the tricks (and more) in a rather convenient way. It allows you to change/add/delete the names of folders, files, metadata in one go, individually, filtered etc... + cover art fetching + ... virtually anything that has to do with the mgt of your music metadata.

I guess I will be buying the app because MPAD does not allow any editing of the metadata

C u!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing