Graham Set-up Jig: Advice Needed

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
So, I buy a Phantom and put my cartridge on using the new and inproved Graham jig (vs. the orig. G-2.2 jig) and presto, glorious sound, never heard bettter in my system. Then I added a headshell spacer to gain added VTA adjustment and all seemed fine, then it started sounding a bit "off". So I found to my dismay that the nylon cartridge screws had loosened and I could twist the cartridge. So removing them and replacing with SS screws I can't get the cartridge to sound nearly as good as I did before. R channel distortion, end of side distortion, no matter how I adjust the cart. using the jig I can't get it any better sounding. So, now I am second and third guessing my approach to using the jig itself.

To those of you that use it, how do you sight the jig to make sure that your viewing it dead on center? Any head tilt or off center viewing L vs. R throws my whole allignment off. Should I use one or both eyes? Currently I am trying the single dominant eye with a loupe lens but I am having trouble gauging when I am actually viewing it "centered". I'm starting to have PTCAD, post traumatic cartridge allignment disorder!:eek:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It looks like your stylus point is okay but your cantilever alignment isn't. If you're off center when viewing there will be a parallax shift due to refraction of light through the clear flip on. It is easier if you concentrate on running the cantilever parallel to both guides while centering the stylus. That way you are using lines and not just the intersect point. Also try to do all of this in an environment with a lot of natural light coming from all directions instead of using one steady source of light off to one side. That too helps reduce the shift.

Note to that when tightening the bolts, the both tip and cantilever alignment can skew just when you approach optimal torque. With practice, you can offset the displacement by presetting some allowance for this and hit dead center. This is much easier than fighting the torque while keeping the cartridge in place by force. It's actually near impossible that way.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Hi Jack,

So, the parallax you refer to is in relation to the two engraved lines or a refelection of the cantilever? I was using a parallax reflection of the "9" in the corner to tell me I was centered but somehow I think it didn't work too well! So, should I sight with one or both eyes? This is a variable I have yet to clearly establish for myself. I've tried all three ways and because I have yet to get things back the way they should be I have lost some confidence in my approach. Funny, the older jig with more room for error was never this problematic!!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hi Jack,

So, the parallax you refer to is in relation to the two engraved lines or a refelection of the cantilever? I was using a parallax reflection of the "9" in the corner to tell me I was centered but somehow I think it didn't work too well! So, should I sight with one or both eyes? This is a variable I have yet to clearly establish for myself. I've tried all three ways and because I have yet to get things back the way they should be I have lost some confidence in my approach. Funny, the older jig with more room for error was never this problematic!!

Both eyes.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
The art of cart set up is to not fiddle once it sounds really good, rarely have I been able to improve upon "goodness". It's truly an art. Forget lasers, but they do enable you to replicate mistakes.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The shift comes from the thickness of the acrylic flip. To best avoid it the flip has to be directly in front of you with no angles. I'm a bit of a freak in that I have 15/20 vision. I don't use any magnifiers and hold the wand about a foot from the tip of my nose with my elbows firmly planted on the dining room table and my arms firm to the sides of my chest. The position is similar to firing a scoped rifle off a sandbag. I always do this in the dining room during the day as I get a lot of natural light in there 2 sides of it being floor to ceiling glass. Being right handed, I hold the wand with my left palm and three digits and the cart with my left thumb and left index finger. I then move the cart into position with just my thumb and index finger and then slowly tighten the bolts from behind with the right hand while directly monitoring any movement during tightening. Since I tighten from behind, I only use hex bolts since it is so much easier than hunting a slot with a screwdriver. This makes up for my sausage fingers :D

It took a bit of experimenting to get to this method for me. I'm not saying its the best way to do it but it has become the easiest and most consistent way for me. I'm now down to only a few minutes to get to great tracking with inaudible distortions and that includes the walk to the music room and VTF and VTA (Here's where I use magnifiers) adjustment :) Azimuth adds a leisurely 30mins or so since I don't have any of those azimuth gizmos. I need to do that relying only on sight and listening.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Well, I knew it. If I took off the Benz and repositioned it I'd never get it same. I hate when I'm right (sometimes!). Why did I know? My typical luck. Anyway, I kind of went back to my original way of sighting, but I need extra eye power since my close up vision has been going the way of Arctic ice sheet. I did a reposition last night and a little bit of listening. I need to reposition the stylus just a bit, but certain things remain. Good LP's sound good and LP's used/new with excessive groove noise, sound terrible at the same tracks as before but on some used LP's, I don't remember having problems with, are having major problems at around the last two tracks. Not all used LP's just some. So I am still a bit perplexed by this. Yet, my Goldring will typically do much, much better with zero to low lewels of groove distortion on the same tracks. I remountd my Goldring last night and plan to do a bit of A/B listening. If my problems persist with the Benz I am going have to presume something is amiss. The level of distortion I'm hearing is worse than anything I've heard from it in the past. And while it may be dependent upon correct geometry it has never shown itself to be hyper critical of set up in the past. It would never give you the ragged edge just better sound with better geometry. I can't imagine the Phantom being an issue. I may as a last resort put the Benz back on my G 2.2 and see what I get.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Stupid question but did you by any chance forget to put the damping fluid in the bearing well?

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Jack,

Hey, no question is too dumb. At least that's what I heard from my teachers! And it holds true for me re: my audio expertise. I have plenty of fluid in the arm. Last night I pulled my armwand off to make some added adj. to the Benz and saw that the cart. had moved from my last set up. Now, I know I didn't do that bad a job of centering the stylus! I mean it was located almost atop the left line. I tightened the screws good and checked the alignment after that before I reinstalled the arm. Funny, it sounded better, less over all distortion but now more L and center oriented vs. mostly R channel. So, I re-adj. and will look again tonight to see if it held. This was very strange indeed. Maybe my eyes are crossing during alignment!

So, using the same jig I put the Goldring on a G 2.2 armwand. It sounded good, and sailed through the same LP's the Benz is having issues with. The Goldring is certainly easier to set up since the fat cantilever is the width of the two lines on the jig, where as the Benz is 1/3 the width. At least I can get that dialed in w/o too much trouble. One thing though, the cantilever on the Benz is slightly scewed to the right forcing me to try and shift the tail end to the right to get the catilever centered. But I cant shift the cart. far enough over to my satisfaction. It's almost there but just a fraction off. I can only get it far enough by loosening the screws quite a bit but as soon as I tighten them the cart. is forced back over. No matter what I do to keep it in the position I want it wont stay. I kind of remember this problem mounting it on my G 2.2. I may try to file a wee bit off that part of the screw(s) passing through the headshell so I can shift them a bit more.

Boy, there is no way it should be this hard to get right. At least it never was before. Talk about things that make you feel like a rookie. I'm saving up all my beer credits for when I solve this thing!!

Last edited:

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
So, I repositioned the Benz and my results are about the same. On some of my well used LP's at pretty much the same place, the second and last song on a side, the distortion starts immediately. New LP's are fine as far as I can tell, and used LP's that have liitle play time or are in really good shape seem fine, though more spinning is needed to sustain this fact. I have the Benz stylus adjusted the best that my judgement allows. I'm ready to drop kick my cartridge through the goal posts of life! I can't think of a reason the Phantom would be causing this on its own, and my Goldring seemed okay in the same set up. The cartridge was serviced by local guy who repairs cartridges. He has a good rep. and the cartridge souded great for a while. I am wondering though if the rubber "O" ring that was replaced is suffering from the colder temps.,
60-65 F-ish that my room is kept at. Maybe the suspension stiffens a bit on cold temps.? I'm grasping at straws here. Anyone have a Benz in great shape they want to sell?!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing