It's been a long day or week and you need to relax with some music.........

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
What genre and/or artist(s) do you turn to for unwinding?

I'm a big Progressive Rock fan, so in my case it's usually something from Pink Floyd, Harmonium, The Alan Parsons Project, Mike Oldfield, Supertramp and early Genesis. That's how I normally start off. From there it could go into any direction depending on my disposition at the time. Some days I move into Blues, other times Jazz, other times acoustical albums and usually some albums with great vocals.

I really like those times because I find myself listening to my music FOR THE MUSIC. I don't judge the pressing, the mastering, a particular interpretation of a song, I judge NOTHING.....I only ENJOY.

How about you?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
If I just want to relax and unwind, it's jazz for me.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If I just want to relax and unwind, it's jazz for me.

I've bought some nice jazz albums in the last year or two, but lately I can't seem to get into them. Same with Blues. I don't know what it is....

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Wow, haven't heard Harmonium mentioned in many years - since I was a kid growing up in Montreal I think...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Wow, haven't heard Harmonium mentioned in many years - since I was a kid growing up in Montreal I think...

Nice! :). I grew up in Lasalle and listened to CHOM-FM in the late 60's, early 70's. They always played a lot of Prog and since they were a bilingual station, I was exposed to a lot of Quebec music. Bands like Harmonium, Boule Noire, Ville Emard Blues Band, Cano (although from Northen Ontario), Robert Charlebois, Gilles Vigneault and the list goes on. I have wonderful musical memories from those times.

Where did you grow up in Montreal?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Super high stress prompts Romantic period works for me. Typical day it's jazz. :)

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
Generally the first LP of a session will be something I was thinking about or something that has been playing in a continuous loop in head all day. After this first recording it would be like betting on NASCAR as to what I'll play next.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Nice! :). I grew up in Lasalle and listened to CHOM-FM in the late 60's, early 70's. They always played a lot of Prog and since they were a bilingual station, I was exposed to a lot of Quebec music. Bands like Harmonium, Boule Noire, Ville Emard Blues Band, Cano (although from Northen Ontario), Robert Charlebois, Gilles Vigneault and the list goes on. I have wonderful musical memories from those times.

Where did you grow up in Montreal?

I grew up in Chomedey, Laval. My family was from the Verdun/Lasalle area though.

I am a prog rock fan too - something I equate to growing up in Montreal - bands such as Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, Gentle Giant, Rush, Max Webster were very popular (yes, CHOM-FM had a lot to do with that). I still seek out new prog rock music to this day - it's like classical music for the rock genre - even though I probably listen more often to jazz than anything else.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I grew up in Chomedey, Laval. My family was from the Verdun/Lasalle area though.

I am a prog rock fan too - something I equate to growing up in Montreal - bands such as Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, Gentle Giant, Rush, Max Webster were very popular (yes, CHOM-FM had a lot to do with that). I still seek out new prog rock music to this day - it's like classical music for the rock genre - even though I probably listen more often to jazz than anything else.

For some reason Montreal was always a hotbed for Prog Rock aficionados, and perhaps CHOM-FM played a significant part in that. I had a summer romance with a girl from Chomedy....beautiful young thing and a killer body! LOL! Ok, so I was 17 and impressionable.

Serge Fiori (ex-Harmonium) is releasing a new album on March 4th.......I'm very much looking forward to its release.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Quebecois prog is very good, and a lot of it has been reissued on CD by the excellent ProgQuebec label. The CDs are usually done with great care, with bonus tracks and detailed information.

One of my favourites out of that scene was Pollen. You guys remember them? '77 or so...

Alexandre

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Quebecois prog is very good, and a lot of it has been reissued on CD by the excellent ProgQuebec label. The CDs are usually done with great care, with bonus tracks and detailed information.

One of my favourites out of that scene was Pollen. You guys remember them? '77 or so...

Alexandre

Nope, don't recall Pollen myself...

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
After Silence

I written about this album earlier in the digital reference thread, but it is also very fitting for Friday winding down music, so allow me to quote myself ;
After Silence, with an incredible trumpet player who goes by the name of Andre Heuvelman.
The download is a 24/88.2 Studio Master file, with a gorgeously wide, warm, deep sound stage. The instruments sound lush but very natural and with such a beautiful decay of the notes.
Like the other Sound Liaison recordings there is a very vivid placement in the stereo-field, a ''reach out and touch'' feel about the whole thing.

The repertoire choice is very broad and goes from a big sounding 9 piece band to intimate duo with only piano or only percussion. Yet the album has a very cohesive feel to it, the flow of the music feels very good from song to song.
Mr. Heuvelman's trumpet sound is fantastic, he encompasses every emotional nuance possible. I have yet to hear a trumpet player with such a palette of colors.
Cellist Rebecca Wise has a few worthy spots of limelight on the albums more romantic tunes and Bandoneon player Santiago Cimadevilla is putting in a lovely performance on the album opener, Astor Piazzolla's, Oblivion and and on the albums absolute surprise Ave Maria.
The album closer ''Krakow'' has percussionist Joshua Samson laying down an intriguing rhythmic foundation for Heuvelman's last statement.
On the Sound Liaison site you can hear all the tracks in a reasonably high quality(mp3 256 ?) before deciding to download one track or the whole album.
To me this album is the surprise of the year, we are still only in March but this is going to be a tough act to follow.
Andre200v7.jpg

After Silence link: http://www.soundliaison.com/

Last edited:

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Fri. Afternoon = the Dead

APP

Oct 1, 2014
I written about this album earlier in the digital reference thread, but it is also very fitting for Friday winding down music, so allow me to quote myself ;

Andre 300 met schaduw 320_300.jpg

After Silence link: http://www.soundliaison.com/
+1
I agree completely, very satisfying album on all counts, music, musicianship, and sound quality, it's an incredible album.

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
Sound Liaison price

Last time I looked the downloads were about 16$
and the new download is ''Impromptu'' is only 13$ and 16$ for the DSD. Offer_TenB_febr_2015v2.jpg

Attachments

• tony-bert-300v1.jpg
    tony-bert-300v1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

APP

Oct 1, 2014
11$

I wish it was available on CD from Amazon. $45 USD for a download is just unacceptable.

They are having a sale on their new sampler; 11$ for 24/96 ''one to one copy of the original studio master'' I find it incredible value for that kind of sound quality.

Sampler200shaduwv2.jpg
I don't know if other retailers are selling it for more but I buy their downloads straight from Sound Liaison, here; http://www.soundliaison.com/
The music on this sampler is very diverse but we believe that there is one unifying aspect to these very different types of music presented here, the sound.
We are firm believers in one room recordings, that is......if you have a good sounding room.....and we do have just that. Our recording space has a rich history. Clark Terry, Wes Montgomery and Eric Dolphy, to name a few, all recorded here in the 60's.

Our colleagues in the audiophile industry are also starting to discover the unique acoustic qualities of our studio. We have recently assisted Native DSD as well as the esteemmed Winter&Winter label in various projects. Winter&Winter recording artist cellist Ernst Reijsiger, called our studio "the perfect extension of my sound".

So maybe a more apt title for our sampler would be what trumpetist extraordinaire Andre Heuvelman exclaimed after playing a couple of warm up phrases in the studio: "this room sounds GOOD!"

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
"It's been a long day or week and you need to relax with some music......... What genre and/or artist(s) do you turn to for unwinding?"

I start with classic rock to let off some steam then slow it down to 50's music and finally to classical chamber music. Yup, I have 3 channels on Pandora. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing