Anyone using Stenheim with Nagra?

pixie6

Nov 22, 2016
Hi guys,
Man, I thought Stenheim was the best kept secret in audio (not anymore looks like...
I have the Alumine full 3rd way set with a Nagra Jazz, CH Precision A1 amp and C1 dac
streaming. Nothing can touch this - got rid of a complete FM Acoustics/Wilson system for
this.

Hi redsquare

How would you describe the addition of the third way for your pair of Alumine speakers?
Also, I have been reading about damping and drivers that aren't connected to the signal chain... and wonder how the bookshelf behaves sitting on top of the third way (not wired in) as opposed to simply sitting on their stands.
Have you ever compared the two setups? I know it sounds mad but some bookshelf speakers designed in the 80s included a driver that was just acting for damping and I wonder why nobody uses that nowadays...

jussy1254

Feb 13, 2011
Hi everybody.
So since we last spoke I traded in my mk 1 and upgraded to the Alumine mk2 with 3rd way -
and I am certain these are superior - and yes, much better looking, if not the best
looking speaker on the market. I listened extensively to all current Magico speakers and
just don't get it. They are so uninspiring musically. It's about the way it's voiced that
I have issue with. God bless if it appeals to someone else just not me. The Stenheim has
more humanity and depth in the mids - just as fast as the Magico but with a more European
balance. Linear, fast but very musical. Reminds me of my old Goldmund Dialogue and Quad
57's in the mids. The 93db sensitivity is really high and tube amps like the Nagra are
ideal but I'm sticking with the CH Precision A1. The founders of Stenheim were with
Goldmund and Nagra prior to forming Stenheim and also have a connection with CH so all
these Swiss products have a synergy. Jussie seems to like the Nagra 300b with his set. I
tried a Dartzeel and Soulution with them (my mk1)and did not like (too dry and distant
sounding)
The Stenheim room at CES got great reviews and it was surprising (and telling) that the
dealer who ran the room is also a Wilson dealer - but chose to show Stenheim....
I bought a brace of Nagra classic amps, sold the Jazz, bought the HD DAC. Sold the NAgras and am awaiting 2 x Solution 511s Might possibly move up to the Alumine 5 or even Ultimes

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing