Anyone using Stenheim with Nagra?

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
As a Nagra user, i'm wondering if others have heard Stenheim Alumine speaks with Nagra. There was a short piece by Steve G on CNet that sparked my interest but it was not very in depth. I'm Currently using Verity but would be curious to hear others opinions.
Thanks
Chris

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
As a Nagra user, i'm wondering if others have heard Stenheim Alumine speaks with Nagra. There was a short piece by Steve G on CNet that sparked my interest but it was not very in depth. I'm Currently using Verity but would be curious to hear others opinions.
Thanks
Chris

My dealer in Austin is using the Rockport Avior's with the Nagra Jazz and MSA's...EXCELLENT combo...was just listening to this combo on Sat. I love my Nagra VPS....what Nagra gear do you own?

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
I'm using Nagra vpa amps, the jazz pre and cdp. Bought a vps that i thought might work for my finish but it wasn't a good pairing for me (though i didn't try a stepup) in terms of gain. Verity Amadis speaks.

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
I'm using Nagra vpa amps, the jazz pre and cdp. Bought a vps that i thought might work for my finish but it wasn't a good pairing for me (though i didn't try a stepup) in terms of gain. Verity Amadis speaks.

Hi guys,
Man, I thought Stenheim was the best kept secret in audio (not anymore looks like...
I have the Alumine full 3rd way set with a Nagra Jazz, CH Precision A1 amp and C1 dac
streaming. Nothing can touch this - got rid of a complete FM Acoustics/Wilson system for
this.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
My dealer has the VPA's and the Nagra 300b...your VPA's a killer good amps. Really all the Nagra amps are great...

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
I've been using Stenheim speakers for nearly 2 years now. I originally heard them with the VPA's and an MSA - it was glorious - everything you could want - incredibly fast but with beautiful and deep mids. Incredibly coherent and way beyond everything I've heard (they actually remind me of my Quad 57's) Very very natural and relaxed (like Steve G says) but alive at the same time. Nagra and Stenheim like to show together and I think they even used the 300B at a few shows. From what I've learned, Stenheim are all ex Goldmund and Nagra engineers. I recently went for a CH Precision A1 to partner with the Stenheim's.

jussy1254

Feb 13, 2011
i have a pair of stenheims with the matching subs, connected to a full nagra system, comprising of cdp, jazz, 300, phono all powered by the mps supply, all are placed on the nagra vps platforms and all cabling is nordost odin or valhalla....
this is one of 3 systems, i currently use and is far the most satisying and easiest to listen too.... easily beating my magico Q1's and devialets. strangely the aluminium structure makes for a very warm sounding speaker. i absolutely love them. come round and listen

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
i have a pair of stenheims with the matching subs, connected to a full nagra system, comprising of cdp, jazz, 300, phono all powered by the mps supply, all are placed on the nagra vps platforms and all cabling is nordost odin or valhalla....
this is one of 3 systems, i currently use and is far the most satisying and easiest to listen too.... easily beating my magico Q1's and devialets. strangely the aluminium structure makes for a very warm sounding speaker. i absolutely love them. come round and listen

I am VERY curious about the Nagra MPS. Have you compared it to the other power supply (SMPS ll) on your Jazz? I've tried a battery with my Nagra VPS and prefer the SMPS ll power supply (more dynamics-although the bettery is a bit more pure sounding - you really can't go wrong either way). I've heard the Jazz and 300b Nagra pre and amp...really nice gear. I've owned my Nagra VPS now for nearly 5 years...it makes fantastic music...

jussy1254

Feb 13, 2011
I am VERY curious about the Nagra MPS. Have you compared it to the other power supply (SMPS ll) on your Jazz? I've tried a battery with my Nagra VPS and prefer the SMPS ll power supply (more dynamics-although the bettery is a bit more pure sounding - you really can't go wrong either way). I've heard the Jazz and 300b Nagra pre and amp...really nice gear. I've owned my Nagra VPS now for nearly 5 years...it makes fantastic music...

there are 3 advantages with the MPS

One power chord to the MPS
Switching the MPS on, switches the Nagras on
Optional battery supply for the phono, reduces the noise level

The only advantage sonically is on the Phono with battery supply. I have heard no difference vs the standard supplies on the Jazz and CDP

Will use the MPS to power the DAC (this takes 2 of the 4 outlets, the battery supply for the VPS and the remaining for the Jazz) and I will use an existing supply for the CDP

I have separated it from the other Nagras and it does not accept 3 coned nagra feet to sit on a VFS (but Nagra does not recommend this anyway)

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
Jussy1254 - did you hear the new Alumine mk2? Or maybe this is what you have? Apparently it's a total redesign and supposed to be even better than the original. I have the original and they destroy the Magico's which are unlistenable for me. I heard Stenheim is going to be in two rooms at CES. Wish I was going...

jussy1254

Feb 13, 2011
here are 2 photos of my Stenheim's. They are a special order with bead blasted front panels. They are about 9 months old. So I guess mark 1's
i don't dislike my Q1's. They work very well in their intended context
The Alumines are, however in another (far higher) class

Attachments

• 2013-12-28 15.48.03.jpg
    2013-12-28 15.48.03.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 1,087
  • 2013-12-28 15.48.15.jpg
    2013-12-28 15.48.15.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 1,172

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
Wow - those are incredibly sexy! Mine are in brushed blue. So the ones we have are
the mk1. Apparently the new version has many changes, both technical and cosmetic, but
will be more expensive. Not sure but sensitivity may be up to 93 on the new version. Love
the Nagra gear and I'm using a Jazz as well, though I traded my MSA and 300b for CH
Precision. You have to hear CH with Stenheim - impossible to break away from...

jussy1254

Feb 13, 2011
I occasionally connect my devialets, but I much prefer the nagras. Yes the devialets give more punch and being out the fabulous bass, but it quickly becomes tiring....
Do you have a picture of the park 2's? Are they the ones with angled base ?

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
No, that looks like the older one but with the newer bases and platforms. It's more
of a 1.5 looks like. Here's a pic from Stenheim of the current version - looks like a new
tweeter/waveguide and no screws exposed - serious redesign. CH is in a different league
than Devialet, which I agree sounded boring after a while. CH and Stenheim both used to
work together so there's a definite synergy there. CH with Stenheim and Jazz is super
fast and musical, much more information than Nagra amps and more life/energy - but still
has beauty and warmth. Jazz and CH is best I've heard with Stenheim yet...

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
I thought the original Alumine 2 seemed very interesting from a technical standpoint but the look of the front baffle was dead ugly with that eye tweeter and basket shaped driver.
The new front baffle with hidden screws looks a lot nicer.

Glad to hear reports that these speakers sound very good. Better than Magico Redsquare? Which models do you think?

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
there are 3 advantages with the MPS

One power chord to the MPS
Switching the MPS on, switches the Nagras on
Optional battery supply for the phono, reduces the noise level

The only advantage sonically is on the Phono with battery supply. I have heard no difference vs the standard supplies on the Jazz and CDP

Will use the MPS to power the DAC (this takes 2 of the 4 outlets, the battery supply for the VPS and the remaining for the Jazz) and I will use an existing supply for the CDP

I have separated it from the other Nagras and it does not accept 3 coned nagra feet to sit on a VFS (but Nagra does not recommend this anyway)

Interesting. Why or what does nagra say is the rationale for not using the mps with the vfs base? Seems odd that isolating the mps could have negative impacts. How does the mps switch on other nagra units? Are the other units left switched in "on" position?

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
Hi everybody.
So since we last spoke I traded in my mk 1 and upgraded to the Alumine mk2 with 3rd way -
and I am certain these are superior - and yes, much better looking, if not the best
looking speaker on the market. I listened extensively to all current Magico speakers and
just don't get it. They are so uninspiring musically. It's about the way it's voiced that
I have issue with. God bless if it appeals to someone else just not me. The Stenheim has
more humanity and depth in the mids - just as fast as the Magico but with a more European
balance. Linear, fast but very musical. Reminds me of my old Goldmund Dialogue and Quad
57's in the mids. The 93db sensitivity is really high and tube amps like the Nagra are
ideal but I'm sticking with the CH Precision A1. The founders of Stenheim were with
Goldmund and Nagra prior to forming Stenheim and also have a connection with CH so all
these Swiss products have a synergy. Jussie seems to like the Nagra 300b with his set. I
tried a Dartzeel and Soulution with them (my mk1)and did not like (too dry and distant
sounding)
The Stenheim room at CES got great reviews and it was surprising (and telling) that the
dealer who ran the room is also a Wilson dealer - but chose to show Stenheim....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing