Nordost SORT FUT

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
28 Ultra 5s, 1 LPI and counting...actually, that is everything covered so shiuld be done now. Whew...

Jesus! Lloyd, you are crazy ;). In such a great audiophile way of course.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Jesus! Lloyd, you are crazy ;). In such a great audiophile way of course.

Speakers, amp, power conditioner and sub...then power supply and transport. hRS M3s for preamp and DAC/DAC PSU. But isolation (dampers above and isolation below) changed everything for the better. I think my room's floor has quite a lot of vibration. Crazy, totally worth it...but glad that's done!!

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Lloyd,
with that many you must had glued a few to the bottom of slippers/shoes for when in doors :)
Cheers
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd,
with that many you must had glued a few to the bottom of slippers/shoes for when in doors :)
Cheers
Orb

Hah! Good one! I should try that!

jeremya

Oct 30, 2013
Redmond, WA
www.hififoundations.com
Anyone try these ?

They look like Stillpoints taken to the next level....

I've heard them. Their effect is not subtle at all - expanded depth and breadth of soundstage, increased clarity, better separation between instruments... it was really like someone had taken the performance and stretched it out, with all of the performers moving in space with it. Where in the first presentation (without Sort "Feet") a couple of the performers might have seemed like they were shoulder-to-shoulder or overlapping, in the second presentation (with the Sort Feet added under the speakers), they were now positioned an arms-length apart. The result was you felt much closer to the performance and there was less coloration of one instrument on another - you could track the individual instruments and voices better and there seemed to be less overall distortion to the music. Pretty awesome.

I haven't had a chance to A|B them with Stillpoints Ultras yet, but I hope to in the near future.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
G'day mates,

I was just going to start a new thread on this, and came across it here so good!

I finally received the last four Sort Kones from Nordost for my c-j power amp, and now each component is resting on at least three to four Sort Kones. Sound-wise, awesome stuff! Floor noise is virtually zero, every minute detail comes through effortlessly. Soundstage depth, and space around instruments appears with greater resolution, with outstanding layering. I did also try the Sort Foot with the Quads and they are as good comparatively like night and day! However, they cost far more than the Sort Kones, hence I will not purchase these at the moment since I would require 8, that's going to be quite an expense.
The Quads are on spikes for now and quite rock solid into the carpeting, so that's good for now...

I must say that these Sort Kones are outstanding value because you don't have to spend the moon on expensive racking, just something decent that will hold your components, and place the Sort Kones under the transformers and transports (source equipment) and enjoy the ride!
A big hats off to Nordost on this one!
Cheers, RJ

jeremya

Oct 30, 2013
Redmond, WA
www.hififoundations.com
Thanks for that, RJ!

Speaking of not spending the moon on shelving, Roy Gregory recently made the observation that the IKEA Aptitleg cutting boards are amazingly good component platforms. The bamboo is a wonderful material to couple your devices and speakers to with resonance control devices like Sort Kones, Füts, etc.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/ikea_aptitlig.htm

Last edited:

jperry

Aug 10, 2014
I've heard them. Their effect is not subtle at all - expanded depth and breadth of soundstage, increased clarity, better separation between instruments... it was really like someone had taken the performance and stretched it out, with all of the performers moving in space with it. Where in the first presentation (without Sort "Feet") a couple of the performers might have seemed like they were shoulder-to-shoulder or overlapping, in the second presentation (with the Sort Feet added under the speakers), they were now positioned an arms-length apart. The result was you felt much closer to the performance and there was less coloration of one instrument on another - you could track the individual instruments and voices better and there seemed to be less overall distortion to the music. Pretty awesome.

I haven't had a chance to A|B them with Stillpoints Ultras yet, but I hope to in the near future.

Thanks for your response. I have used the Sort Kone TC under my SME 10 turntable with a very positive effect, and have been considering the Sort Fut under my speakers. I think I will give them a try

jeremya

Oct 30, 2013
Redmond, WA
www.hififoundations.com
Experimentation is key; you need to try several configurations (HH up, HH down, attached with HH up, attached with HH down, placing under component's transformers, disc player transports) to find the 'sweet spot locations' that result in the best performance.

Zellig and Clawson mentioned the same in their TAS review: "It came as some surprise to us that we frequently disagreed with the manufacturer's orientation advice."

That came as a surprise to me as well. I know experimentation is necessary to get the best results, but I hadn't considered inversion...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Would like to know comparisons under speakers with Stillpoints

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing