Can someone compare the MSB house sound vs Playback Designs house sound?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I know we all have our favorites, but can anyone contrast the MSB sound and the Playback Designs house sound? Does one do something better than the other? What are the differences?

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
I know we all have our favorites, but can anyone contrast the MSB sound and the Playback Designs house sound? Does one do something better than the other? What are the differences?

I prefer the sound of the Playback Designs :)

Best Regards,

Jonathan Tinn
Playback Designs

seriouslyhifi

Mar 19, 2013
Both are good and have their strengths but if I had to live with one then the MSB is certainly what I enjoy and would live with. no question about that choice.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Both are good and have their strengths but if I had to live with one then the MSB is certainly what I enjoy and would live with. no question about that choice.

Other than you having a preference for one, what are the differences you hear that lead to that preference? Are they different in tonal balance? Soundstage? Detail? It would be very much appreciated if you could elaborate.

Thanks.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
What MSB model are you considering and what is your current source ?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Hello all. I just bought the MSB platinum 4 plus , with there UMT . I am using headphones currently with it. I have a few DAC,S. . But nothing I can compare it too on this level. For me it is just so way above anything I have heard or own , there is no gauge for me to judge . I cannot wait to here this on my infinity IRS V,s , but with headphones it is just incredible .

Al D

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Hello all. I just bought the MSB platinum 4 plus , with there UMT . I am using headphones currently with it. I have a few DAC,S. . But nothing I can compare it too on this level. For me it is just so way above anything I have heard or own , there is no gauge for me to judge . I cannot wait to here this on my infinity IRS V,s , but with headphones it is just incredible .

Al D

Nice. Are you using the UMT plus as streamer, with the I2S pro interface?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Not yet , what streamer should I try and thanks for replying. Right now I just have been using the UMT with cd,s and SACD,s . I bought it with all the options too the global femto clock ,diamond stepped volume control, additional inputs, USB2 signature 384, pro I2S network input. Diamond PSU . Honestly I wanted the diamond but just wigged at how much I was spending already . Help please , I do not know Anyone with this DAC.

Al d

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Not yet , what streamer should I try and thanks for replying. Right now I just have been using the UMT with cd,s and SACD,s . I bought it with all the options too the global femto clock ,diamond stepped volume control, additional inputs, USB2 signature 384, pro I2S network input. Diamond PSU . Honestly I wanted the diamond but just wigged at how much I was spending already . Help please , I do not know Anyone with this DAC.

Al d

You got some very bad advice from your dealer. You will get the best sound using the I2S pro interface. With this protocol, the UMT is slaved to the clock in the dac, so getting the upgraded clock in the UMT is a complete waste of money. You should return it and get a full refund. The only way the clock in the UMT will do you any good is with non i2s pro sources, but even if you use say Aes/ebu into your MSB dac it is a waste of money, because the MSB dac reclocked everything in reclocking mode. The upgraded clock is beneficial for use of the transport with non MSB dacs.

May be I am misunderstanding though and you just got the upgraded clock in the dac. I hope so.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

Al d

As for streaming, you can setup your UMT as a dlna streamer in jriver, run your library on a nas, jremote on I device, and have your library at your fingertips.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
No I am sorry I misquoted , I got the upgraded galaxy clock in the dac. Sorry. I have not tried the network input as yet. But the diamond UMT is done through the PRO I2s input. I also own a KRELL connect server , I have not used this either. Any advice .

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
So jriver will find the UMT as a network device like I used with the PS audio Pwd mkii. I also have a nas ds213+. I used with it. I have JRIVER 19 and 18. I do understand the clock in the UMT I asked and read about it's use. So you are saying it's gets better then this . WOW I cannot imagine any improvement beyond this. Even red book cd,s are just fantastic. The level of clarity and separation is just stunning to my ears .

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
So jriver will find the UMT as a network device like I used with the PS audio Pwd mkii. I also have a nas ds213+. I used with it. I have JRIVER 19 and 18. I do understand the clock in the UMT I asked and read about it's use. So you are saying it's gets better then this . WOW I cannot imagine any improvement beyond this. Even red book cd,s are just fantastic. The level of clarity and separation is just stunning to my ears .

Yes, you're all set for streaming and can sell the krell. Won't necessarily sound better than spinning discs but a lot more convenient.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
If you have the I2S Pro output on the transport, then most likely you have the UMT Plus not the UMT - two different models.

My dealer also swears by Ethernet streaming via UMT+ as opposed to using the USB 384kHz input on the DAC. Getting a separate PSU for the UMT+ video part is also said to bring considerable improvement.

The clock, as edorr already noted, is useless on the UMT+ if you already have the MSB DAC with Galaxy Femtoclock.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
If you have the I2S Pro output on the transport, then most likely you have the UMT Plus not the UMT - two different models.

My dealer also swears by Ethernet streaming via UMT+ as opposed to using the USB 384kHz input on the DAC. Getting a separate PSU for the UMT+ video part is also said to bring considerable improvement.

The clock, as edorr already noted, is useless on the UMT+ if you already have the MSB DAC with Galaxy Femtoclock.

I assumed he owns the UMT plus, since this appears to be all new kit.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have been reading the thread , not yet many pages to read . I take you bought the UMT by now or I'm guessing. It's sad in way to say good by to some of my other dacs lol. The msb stack is the best I have ever heard and is so far ahead I went back and setup and A/B test just to confirm what I was hearing . I have used it with a WOO Wes amp and the stax 009. And the woo wa5 with the HD800 and the HE6. The separation of the instruments and voices is just incredible.
I have not had a chance to steam yet but will over this week. Is there any advice you can give me?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Where can download or by the oppo interface. Also an the MSB website they Recomend squeezebox , is this any good?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Where can download or by the oppo interface. Also an the MSB website they Recomend squeezebox , is this any good?

No need to download anything. Getting the oppo connected to your network and configuring jriver for dlna streaming should do the trick. Get jremote on idevice for remote control.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Very cool thanks and yes it's the UMT plus . I chose the diamond PSU for now , I did listen to them and to be honest was not sure of how much of an improvement was heard. How ever in hearing them I was so stunned by the improvement in the sound over what I have and others I have listened to. It could be just shock as to tell the difference at that time. As I use it and calm down with my awe moment I'm sure if I go back I may hear the change. I cannot wait to hear this on speakers as I like headphones for examining sound changes only speakers give you the whole sound staging and proper imaging.

Thanks

Al

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing