Is music preference generational ?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Last night my 15 year old godson went to watch Steve Aoki and Laidback Luke. When his Dad told him we'd watched Steve Aoki in Las Vegas, my godson thought we were incredibly cool! To think his Dad and I were at our 25th anniversary homecoming the same night! :D

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Two I previously mentioned are on that list (16, 28). I noticed Pink (94) is also on it. While I did buy that CD, I only listened to it once. The recording is absolutely horrible. That type of thing irritates me more than the music. Why any 'artist' allows their music to be presented in any manner other the best is beyond me.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Glad you saw the humour of that.

Regarding music...I do think there is a generational aspect involved, but the degree varies from music lover to music lover. I love discovering new artists old and new (to me) despite my great affection for the music of the 60's and 70's. New/newer artists, such as Half Moon Run, Kings of Leon, The National, Sigur Ros, Arcade Fire and others give me hope that good music is all around. We just need to take a chance on them.

I'm an old fart but I avidly seek out new artists. My favorite LPs this year are from Deerhunter, The National, Kurt Vile, Yuck, The Parlez, Jacco Gardner, Valerie June, Phosphorescent, The Psychic Ills and Omaha Diner to name a few. I know I'm lucky living in Seattle...you can hear a great show every night; often for less than $15. There is a ton of great music out there if you are willing to give it a try.

One last thing....the classic music of the 1960's and 70's sounds great now but that era also produced such chart busting luminaries as Bobby Sherman, Tiny Tim and disco. Over time, the better music becomes 'classic' and the rest fades away...

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
http://www.apple.com/itunes/charts/songs/

Please take a look at the link above for just a moment. When you return, could you please state which of the selections of today's music you have sampled, listened to or purchased an album, perhaps a song from? Well, this is the most wanted of "today's" music. Generations from now, do you think that you/they will look back and think that this generation was somewhat taken aback with talent or would you/they think they were the cutting edge to the next wave of musical genius? How would they stack up to your own personal generation of music?

Tom

Lana Del Ray
Drake
Sara Bareilles

Ellie Goulding
Eminem
Paramore
John Legend
Robin Thicke
Blake Shelton
The Lumineers
Lady Antebellum
Coldplay
Sia

Christina Aguilera
Arctic Monkeys

The bolded are artists of whom I have purchased an album. I do not buy singles (never have actually), but have listened to songs from all of the others. At this point I'm not willing to go on record by forecasting who of these artists will stand the test over time. It might be too early in their career for that. I'm surprised I didn't see Arcade Fire on that list, but had they been I would have gladly said that is one band we will look back on.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Lana Del Ray
Drake
Sara Bareilles

Ellie Goulding
Eminem
Paramore
John Legend
Robin Thicke
Blake Shelton
The Lumineers
Lady Antebellum
Coldplay
Sia

Christina Aguilera
Arctic Monkeys

The bolded are artists of whom I have purchased an album. I do not buy singles (never have actually), but have listened to songs from all of the others. At this point I'm not willing to go on record by forecasting who of these artists will stand the test over time. It might be too early in their career for that. I'm surprised I didn't see Arcade Fire on that list, but had they been I would have gladly said that is one band we will look back on.

I have heard cuts from many of those artists. To say that I am uninspired is an understatement. I did enjoy Robin Thicke doing Mylie foe style....on tv though....

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I have heard cuts from many of those artists. To say that I am uninspired is an understatement. I did enjoy Robin Thicke doing Mylie foe style....on tv though....

To me, the truly inspiring ones are never in the charts, but hasn't that almost always been the case?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Lana Del Ray
Drake
Sara Bareilles

Ellie Goulding
Eminem
Paramore
John Legend
Robin Thicke
Blake Shelton
The Lumineers
Lady Antebellum
Coldplay
Sia

Christina Aguilera
Arctic Monkeys

I have iTunes singles from all except Shelton and The Lumineers. I have vinyl of Paramore, Coldplay and Hirez of Bareilles.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing