Where not to send your Nagra T Audio for service - long, sorry.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Hi Ki,

Sad to know about your poor experience - I remember your enthusiasm about the NagraT at the TP forum.
For those who do not know Ki from the TP forum, all I can say is that although we never met he is a very friendly poster, always available to help with his advice and experience.
Happily you have other machines and with time you will forget about all this. But is is hard to accept.

Thanks for your nice words.
Nagra T is still very beautiful and nice machine. One should really check it out before purchasing it though.
Yes, I have almost forgot what had happend with the terrible phone call I made this morning.
Venting my fume on this forum was Therapeutic.

Thanks,
Ki

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Ki, Sorry to read about your story with the Nagra. I have to wander why did you send your recorder to this unscrupulous individual if you didn't have any idea as to his business ethics or apparently his fee schedule in advance? Maybe I missed it, but presumably this individual was recommended to you?
Or did you check him out in some other way? I say this as I personally cannot see most people ever shipping something of the kind of value of your Nagra long distance, to an individual that you seem to know nothing about, or have had any experience with.
OTOH, this individual was IMHO very lucky that you are so accommodating and agreed to pay him his troubleshooting charge without having any agreement from you authorizing same. Most people would have told him to whistle dixie on that and if he threatened to keep the recorder to then contact the authorities on him. I suspect that may have made him change his mind.
One other thing to perhaps consider, sometimes one has to stand up for ones rights even if the price may seem too high. Otherwise, individuals will continue to act in this manner and will continue to get away with it. I may be naive about this, BUT that is why I believe we have laws in this country.

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Roger:

Having a tech near by to help you is a very fortunate thing. I had mentioned elsewhere that not having a Studer tech in Seattle area or the one we had was too busy to help with personal machines - drove me to learn and maintain my Studers.
Ki

Ki,

actually my tech is in Palm Springs,but I have used Dave Dintenfass from Seattle. Btw my Studer is going to be checked out next week when Wayne comes up to deliver my new transport for my Ampex 350's.

Your Nagra ordeal is so beyond the pale. Have you thought about a small claims suit? The dollar amount is probably to high though. If a lawsuit wasn't such a PITA, I'd sue the bastard.

Another thing, I contacted the seller of those Ampex MR70 electronics but they were already sold.

Best,
Roger

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Ki,

VERY sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience (which you began to explain when I visited you). What makes me more sorry is that I know the individual and have had pleasant dealings with him - not on his turf (Nagra) but on mine (Stellavox).

He used to be the "go to" Nagra guy and could charge whatever rates he wanted, and treat customers accordingly. But those days are long gone (to me/us? anyway).

He's living in the past - with no apparent future!

Caveat emptor

Charles

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Nagra T and tubes

Hey Guys
Charlie and Ki can also comment on sonics of the Nagra T. I owned two of them and found them to be abysmal minus for sonics. Here is one solution that a friend of mine in Japan found for the T(his is actually a Ti). The transport is one of the best and does not take up too much room. His transport was completely done over by Craige in LI, NY.

Rich Brown

Attachments

• 1313..JPG
    1313..JPG
    375.5 KB · Views: 3,268

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Nagrampex

here is a shot of the interior. What a gem this deck is! note AME, Columbia, NAB and adjustable positions on eq(10 turn pot for hf adjustment on variable). Columbia EQ info is pretty hard to find. SWEET indeed!

Rich

Attachments

• 1311-1..JPG
    1311-1..JPG
    452.9 KB · Views: 1,371
Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What can one say but Wow :)

Love the multiple EQ curves for the deck!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing