Jeff Rowland 625 mini-plug connector

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
Can anyone tell me how the 625 mini-plug connector can be used for remote control? The JRDG Corus remote receiver appears to have a connection like the 625. Would it be possible for me to run some type of connection between that and the 625?

Last edited:

Mrdean

Mar 13, 2013
If I recall correctly, the mini plug is 12v dc positive for "on". It is NOT like the old 201s.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi Len, are you thinking of plugging the micro jack of the Corus IR receiver into the 12V socket of the M625, and then operate the standby/power function of M625 with the Corus remote?

I Will check with the factory, but I doubt that the Corus receiver is designed to generate a 12V pulse... It has no battery in it. G.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Jeff is travelling today... I should be able to get an answer by mid week. G.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Spoke to the factory... the IR receiver of the Corus generates low voltage data for the Corus control logic.... Conversely, the amplifier remote trigger expects a relatively heft 12V pulse to trigger a relay....

Besides, the Corus IR receiver connects to Corus via a micro data connector... M625 home theater on/off input socket expects a 3.5 mm audio phono jack. Hence the two are not compatible.

If you ever managed to connect the Corus IR receiver to your amp, nothing will happen if you are lucky... Or you might damage the IR receiver... Or the amp... or both... Bottomline: do not do it!

G.

Mrdean

Mar 13, 2013
Same info that I got. It is meant as an easy trigger if used in a theater set up, as just about every pre/processor known to mankind has a 12V trigger output on mini plug.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
Somewhat disappointing but thanks very much for the answers. Although I do use an AV processor for home theater, the primary use of my system setup is stereo. I'll continue using the "old fashioned" approach - pressing the standby button on the front of the JRDG 625.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi Len, it strikes me that the 12V trigger is pretty well an industry standard... I wonder if companies like Music Direct might already sell a tetherable battery powered IR transmitter/receiver pair that generates a 12V analog pulse which emulates the signal from a home theater unit.

Guido

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
Hi Len, it strikes me that the 12V trigger is pretty well an industry standard... I wonder if companies like Music Direct might already sell a tetherable battery powered IR transmitter/receiver pair that generates a 12V analog pulse which emulates the signal from a home theater unit.

Guido

Hi Guido, I was primarily interested in using the output on the back of the JRDG remote receiver as a convenience of waking up both the Corus and 625 at the same time. I'm still curious what the function of the output on the outside back of the Corus remote receiver serves. Len

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi Len, the second socket in the back of the Corus IR receiver is an input. It is used to daisy-chain two or more receivers, in case you wanted to control Corus from multiple ppoints of convenience, even though the primary receiver were out of the line of sight.

As I mentioned, the IR station does not have any battery.... It is only capable of generating very low energy digital codes that command the Corus control logic. It does not have sufficient energy to generate the 12V analog pulse required to trigger the standby/operate relay on M625. To generate the 12V pulse, the station would need a relatively hefty battery, or should have a small power supply for being powered from AC...

G.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing