Frugal Integrated Amps

Mortsnets

Jan 2, 2013
Lots of glowing reviews of the NAD D 3020 but not much comparing it to other like priced gear. Is it any good?

How about the Clones Audio 25i?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The Rogue Audio Sphinx is getting lots of buzz for affordable integrateds.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I had a sphinx as a loaner driving Harbeths, in my system it sounded flat and dimension less. the tubes in it are token as no tube qualities existed. the trebble was extended for class-d but grainy at the same time.

two budget integrateds I tried that really impressed me were the Audio Analogue Puccini and Naim Nait 5i - both discontinued I believe. on monitors like spendors or proacs the SQ is quite good with either of these.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I had a sphinx as a loaner driving Harbeths, in my system it sounded flat and dimension less. the tubes in it are token as no tube qualities existed. the trebble was extended for class-d but grainy at the same time.

two budget integrateds I tried that really impressed me were the Audio Analogue Puccini and Naim Nait 5i - both discontinued I believe. on monitors like spendors or proacs the SQ is quite good with either of these.

Hey Pure:

interesting...

Man I am not hearing what you heard at all. The Sphinx, driving Genesis 7 series and KEF LS50 monitors, it is anything but flat and lifeless.

I have not tried it yet on my Harbeth's. Just goes to show how different we perceive things in this hobby!

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Hey Pure:

interesting...

Man I am not hearing what you heard at all. The Sphinx, driving Genesis 7 series and KEF LS50 monitors, it is anything but flat and lifeless.

I have not tried it yet on my Harbeth's. Just goes to show how different we perceive things in this hobby!

don't let my comments get in the way of a 'good' review:rolleyes:

I currently have a rogue tube amp in the house that I like and I think Mark is a good designer, he must of had a head cold when he voiced the sphinx. come to think of it I actually bought the sphinx as stop gap while waiting for other gear to arrive, I sold it asap before the word got out.

Andre, this does beg a question - the sphinx not withstanding - do you ever post reviews that are lukewarm or less than positive?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

I currently have a rogue tube amp in the house that I like and I think Mark is a good designer, he must of had a head cold when he voiced the sphinx. come to think of it I actually bought the sphinx as stop gap while waiting for other gear to arrive, I sold it asap before the word got out.

Andre, this does beg a question - the sphinx not withstanding - do you ever post reviews that are lukewarm or less than positive?

Ouch!

I saw the last line coming from reading the first line.

Mortsnets

Jan 2, 2013
Thanks for the recs on the Audio Analogue Puccini and Naim Nait 5i, discontinued is good, used prices should go down as new models come out.

Just goes to show how different we perceive things in this hobby!

Good point. I like the sound I get with my EL84 and 6V6 power amps (especially the midrange) but would like that kind of sound in a convenient ss budget integrated. I realize this may not be attainable.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

My wife office system includes the Audio Analogue Verdi inexpensive integrated . This integrated includes two 12AX7/ECC83 tubes and sounds really nice, with a delicate but solid sound. But since long my favorite integrated has been the Sonus Fabert Musica. Although it was not inexpensive and is now out of production, it can be bought in the used market at an affordable price. Unfortunately it lacks a remote.

InterMechanico

Apr 17, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
I employ a Yamaha A-S2000 in my setup, and have been quite pleased for 3 years now. It's not perfect, but it does its' job very well and very reliably. I think you can pick one up for 1500-2000 or so. Bargain, I say.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Andre, this does beg a question - the sphinx not withstanding - do you ever post reviews that are lukewarm or less than positive?[/QUOTE]

Wow, pretty disrespectful comment to a reviewer. No wonder some of my friends have left this forum.

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
exposure 2010 s or s2, both excellent - punchy and transparent. Croft Integrated with phono - marvelous MM stage; nicer again with rolled tubes.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada

Agree 100% lukewarm or less positive reviews are not good for business,it as always been like that you always have to read between the lines, how else would the magazine live, the reviewers are paid by the same people they review for, you know the sayin don't bite the hand that feed's you well it's true in any business audio is no different,

Mortsnets

Jan 2, 2013
I ended up getting a good price on a demo Cayin A-50T EL34 Integrated and it sounds very nice with my Reynaud speakers.

Cayin A-50T.jpg

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I ended up getting a good price on a demo Cayin A-50T EL34 Integrated and it sounds very nice with my Reynaud speakers.

View attachment 18202

Yes i agree that is a very good little integrated amplifier, i love tubes but only in my friends homes with 81db speakers no tubes for me. :)

PS: Another Cayin i love is this one.
Cayin H-80A Integrated Amplifier.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing