Classe CT-M600 / CA-M600 Amplifiers - True Giant Killers or Just Ok?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Everyone wants a deal - a cost no object amp at a "real-world" price. Atkinson of Stereophile and Jacob Heilbrunn, one of the best writers for the Analytic Sound, love these.

Are these really as good as it gets, or just ok and you get what you pay for? Please share experiences.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I've heard 'em ... Atkinson is a good guy, and I respect him ... but after I read Atkinson's review I immediately questioned him on the content, which "conveniently" left out relevant & historical Classe amplifier information. I did so because he mentions Krell and Levinson designs and their use of class-A operation for the output stages, but he doesn't comment on Dave Reich initial designs, which are much more relevant/appropriate. Atkinson obviously knew of DR designs prior, so leaving him out was indeed nothing more than a conscious decision (for reasons I do understand, but won't further elaborate).

Anyway, he was polite as usual, ... his answer basically stated limited space, time & content.

(big sigh)

Those amps are indeed quite good, and they certainly run cooler / greener, w/ "perhaps" more transparency than the DR based Classe mono designs. Do they justify the price? That's a decision only you can make depending on your associated taste & gear. Personally, I don't think they're nearly as musical & powerful as my older units, which would probably cost more if built today.

I'm not the only one up here in the tundra who thinks likewise ... some very prominent audiophiles / reviewers consider the newer breed of Classe amps not nearly as worthy of "greatness".

therefore, yes, my mileage did vary ...

tb1

radicalsteve

Oct 31, 2011
I bought these amps about a year ago, compared with Plinius SA-250; Mac 601's and MF KW-750 upgraded by John Sampson. They drive CLX's. I have nothing to complain about and they are true to the source. Handle the Logan electrostatics with control and finesse. They are cool to the touch and to the ear as well! Nothing euphonic here and why should there be? The only concern I have had is that they may have quite a current draw off the mains, as there are times when the blue light starts flashing and the voltage sag during peak electricity usage periods puts them into the grey zone. Maybe just a comment on Ottawa hydro.

Sound wise, they are as clean, accurate and limitless as anything I have heard. I don't want to over-rotate on analyzing the sound character as my experience is that whatever you put in is what comes out and never any sign or sound of strain or fatigue.

Musically and emotionally these are neither adding or subtracting from input or distorting output through my Martin Logan's.

Highly recommended and extremely good value for money audio wise - I can't imagine why anyone would want anything else unless it's for reasons beyond function, which is quite understandable in this hobby! <I like to experiment too>

Steve

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Highly recommended and extremely good value for money audio wise

"Extremely" ... is a matter of perception ... so many "extremely" good amps exist at this price range and yet ... I haven't heard any one in particular in which it was fair to claim it "extremely" better ...

But I'm biased to a particular sound, and therefore I have that as my preference, so personally, I prefer the sound of SIM, but not in an extreme way ...

tb1

radicalsteve

Oct 31, 2011
"Extremely" ... is a matter of perception ... so many "extremely" good amps exist at this price range and yet ... I haven't heard any one in particular in which it was fair to claim it "extremely" better ...

But I'm biased to a particular sound, and therefore I have that as my preference, so personally, I prefer the sound of SIM, but not in an extreme way ...

tb1

at the price I paid (new) …. they were extremely good value :)

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
at the price I paid (new) …. they were extremely good value :)

K, I get it ... that's a big consideration. One thing I liked about these particular amps, I first heard them cold, and they still sounded quite excellent.

enjoy,
tb1

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
I've listened to these amps with the Revel Salon 2s. My impression was quite good - fast with excellent bottom performance and with lots of power to drive the Salons. Very clean top end. It is one of my favorite amplification solutions under $20K - in addition to Pass amps and ARC Ref series.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I've listened to these amps with the Revel Salon 2s. My impression was quite good - fast with excellent bottom performance and with lots of power to drive the Salons. Very clean top end. It is one of my favorite amplification solutions under $20K - in addition to Pass amps and ARC Ref series.

MJB, can you please expand on what you mean by "very clean top end"? Thanks

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen, thank you for the replies. Anyone compare it to the other Canadian monster, the Bryston 28B SST^2?

And anyone compare it to the Hegel H30? Doug Fritz of Soundstage thinks highly of this one, and so does the Harley. Hegel is priced higher in the US due to the "distributor cut", but is it that much better?

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
MJB, can you please expand on what you mean by "very clean top end"? Thanks

Of course Caesar. As we played some rock, jazz and blue grass music at fairly loud levels, the mid and high notes remained clear with lack of distortion and coloration. Hope that helps!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Of course Caesar. As we played some rock, jazz and blue grass music at fairly loud levels, the mid and high notes remained clear with lack of distortion and coloration. Hope that helps!

Perfect! Thanks!!!

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
Gentlemen, thank you for the replies. Anyone compare it to the other Canadian monster, the Bryston 28B SST^2?

And anyone compare it to the Hegel H30? Doug Fritz of Soundstage thinks highly of this one, and so does the Harley. Hegel is priced higher in the US due to the "distributor cut", but is it that much better?
As a Canadian. ..not sure Classe is.
I mean the calls go to Milwaukee and payments are in USD so I believe they sold out...
Simaudio and Bryston. ..Blue Circle are some of the few big names left

RBen

Jul 31, 2011
Just wondering what country are the Classe CT-M600 / CA-M600 Amplifiers made in ?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Current gear is made in China.

Serious? I thought all Classe gear was designed and built in Canada. Classe must have a lot of faith in the Chinese if they are still offering their 20 year warranty.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Serious? I thought all Classe gear was designed and built in Canada. Classe must have a lot of faith in the Chinese if they are still offering their 20 year warranty.

They move manufacturing to China one or two years ago. Still designed in Canada. Classe offers stellar performance for the price. Don't knock it. It can compete with the best.

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC

I believe it's a Classe owned and/or operated plant in China and not a 3rd-party plant that won a bid to manufacture. That way, they can control quality better. Also, I think you may be mixing up Bryston with Classe. Bryston has the 20-yr warranty. I believe Classe is 5-yrs.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

bowers & wilkins owns classe and has a plant in china, seems logical to move everything there. there are two eras of classe: the Reich era and post 2001 Nauber era with the omega/delta series. I'm a fan of the Reich era, its what I think of when I hear classe. I've got history with the DR-2 and DR-3 and still use a Reich designed amp now in place of spectral. Reich went to theta after the spilt and takes credit for the Dreadnaught amp w/ Charlie Hansen of Ayre.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I believe it's a Classe owned and/or operated plant in China and not a 3rd-party plant that won a bid to manufacture. That way, they can control quality better. Also, I think you may be mixing up Bryston with Classe. Bryston has the 20-yr warranty. I believe Classe is 5-yrs.

You are 100% correct. I was mistaking Bryston for Classe.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing