My First HD Projector

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I finally got my JVC DLA-HD990 set up and dialed in. For the record I am NOT a videophile. So if you are looking for a review I apologize that I come sorely ill equipped. I can say however that this little baby is a gem. Even with my cheapo Elite screen, it has very natural color and very good shadows and blacks. The movie we used to first check out the calibration was Transformers 2. Just as I remember from the theater the frames were saturated and hot. What shocked me however was the motion. In the final sequence before the SR-71 geezer lends Prime his parts there are some gory scenes where instead of blood there's a whole lot of anti-freeze and motor oil being shed. The flow and even the viscosity of the CGI rendered fluids was extremely cool and believable.

I'll check out some BDs with more complexity of texture rather than gratuitous eye candy this weekend. Somehow I don't think I'll be disappointed. Oh, the sound rocks too.

The VK-6200 is an absolute beast that kicks hard and runs cool.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hehehe. It's a hodge podge Gavin. Kind of like a bride at a wedding...something old, something new, some things borrowed, something blu. :)

For the old - slash - blue is my first adopter Pioneer Bluray player that takes so long to load I have to get a haircut. Also old are all Verbatim SCs for L-C-R. They will eventually be replaced with Masterbuilts when they get here. Also old is my resurrected BAT VK-31 SE Super Pack where L and R run through bypass mode.

For the new - VR-4 SR Mk3s , VisiUN Mk.2, Ambience Ribbon Hybrid In-walls for the rear and an Ambience Bandpass Sub. They are a pair but for some reason, I was happy enough with just one. Balanced Cables are all Purist Audio Design Museas, All PCs are Shunyata Python and run through a V-Ray2. Rounding up the new are a Marantz 8003 Pre/pro and the mentioned BAT VK-6200 multichannel amp. All components are on Cherry Critical Mass Reference platforms over and under a custom leather clad console, with stitching an ode to Doc Marten's. :)

The Borrowed is the Theta Stack which I snagged from the showroom while I figure out whether the Accuphase DP-78 or the Eera Tentation goes in for music only duty. I'll try and post pics tomorrow :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing