HOW TO MASTER A SONG - 7 Steps to Loud!

theguesswho

Feb 25, 2012
Connecticut
Search for this on YouTube.
I am sure I don't want this guy mastering my records! WOW, I am shocked at what he does.
The first thing that comes to mind is notice how he continues to turn everything up, and at the same time he turns down the level (so he has headroom) but then squashes everything. SO he winds up with no headroom, just loud!
But of course this is what he is preaching through the entire video and therefore "what he wants is what we gets".

Wendell

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The first thing I notice is that he's using Pro Tools, which is not a mastering workstation.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I had to [no lie] rear my head back and hit "mute" as soon as his remastered track hit. I think I'll bow out of this discussion because IMO, it is folks like this that are destroying the music.

Tom

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
This video is for the thousands of bedroom engineers that can't afford proper mastering.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I don't even need to watch the video, the title tells me everything I need to know.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I had to [no lie] rear my head back and hit "mute" as soon as his remastered track hit. I think I'll bow out of this discussion because IMO, it is folks like this that are destroying the music.

Tom

That's because you're a gentleman, Tom, and you don't want to say that this guy is a freaking idiot and that he and his ilk have destroyed more good music than we care to think about. I think I'll take your lead and bow out myself, before I find myself saying that he's a tool, and not a pro, and I sincerely hope he finds a way to make a living that has less to do with art than running a crafts store in a cheap strip mall.

:)

Tim

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Change the title of this thread to "7 Steps Too Loud".

Bruce

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Well that's 31 minutes that I'll never get back!

I'll take the unmastered version any day!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
"Just as good as the other commercial stuff out there."

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
He uses several different steps having compressors and limiters! Unbelievable.

His master sounds horrible to me but he says that is what people want?!?!

His music sounds totally UNlike the real thing when it was performed.

His final tips are totally off the wall. He is everything that's wrong with recorded music.

All he cares about is making the recording louder. I don't need that. I have my own volume control.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing