CSN&Y - Deja Vu

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I've always thought "Music Is Love" is just about a perfect pop song...magic.

I have to be in the mood, but I love the whole thing, doc. It is, for the most part, timeless. The only cut I don't think has aged particularly well is the rambling Cowboy Movie.

Tim

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
The best I have heard is the UK "plum" A1/B1 matrix (this was tipped off by sungshinla on the Hoffman forum many years ago in a private exchange) followed by a US first pressing on the B'way label. The Classic Records and a couple of George Piros mastered US pressings are ok as well. Steve Hoffman mentions the album needed a lot of mastering and transferring the tape "flat" like the early CD was not the way to go. At the end they're all compromises and it's find your favorite flavor of acceptable. For their 'Couch' album I have a clear stand out favorite.

"...Regarding Deja Vu, I was told by an engineer at Atlantic that the first Atlantic CD release was made flat from the original leadered stereo master tape. The end. If you don't like the sound of it, you are ***** out of luck. And I DON'T!

I never did like the sound of it actually. Never did. I love the music, and I've had 5 versions of the Atlantic LP over the years, all with various stages of midrange, or treble, or bass boost added. Big deal. The actual tape ain't that hot. ..."
-SH

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Hvbias- I never exhaustively listened to various pressings of this record; it was certainly part of the fabric back in the day and that 'old hippie' folk/psych thing should still appeal to me, but somehow, it's rarely a record I play. I gather there is a huge amount of track to track variation in the sound of the thing. If I have time, I'll clean and fire up a couple copies; I don't have the UK first, and doubt I'd spring for it. Don't ask me how many copies of Love it to Death I now own. :)
PS pray tell, what's your favorite copy of the ''couch" record?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just placed a a bid for a MFSL Deja Vu on eBay. :eek:

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Hvbias- I never exhaustively listened to various pressings of this record; it was certainly part of the fabric back in the day and that 'old hippie' folk/psych thing should still appeal to me, but somehow, it's rarely a record I play. I gather there is a huge amount of track to track variation in the sound of the thing. If I have time, I'll clean and fire up a couple copies; I don't have the UK first, and doubt I'd spring for it. Don't ask me how many copies of Love it to Death I now own. :)
PS pray tell, what's your favorite copy of the ''couch" record?

It is a later Monarch pressing mastered by George Piros, specifically an -F/-F on side 1 and 2 respectively (there is a very faint second F following each F). This one is sorta like that double C Zep I I sent you; people are just drawn to it even if the recording is not so hot :D

Barry Diament's mastering notes and his recollection of George mastering it are somewhere in the Hoffman forum archives. raunchnroll, cassius and Randy W have mentioned it several times on that board as well. Randy W mentions it in his review on Fremer's old Music Angle website. I had the Classic 45 and 33 which are also both superb and one of my favorite Classic Records rock releases, if not my favorite.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
It is a later Monarch pressing mastered by George Piros, specifically an -F/-F on side 1 and 2 respectively (there is a very faint second F following each F). This one is sorta like that double C Zep I I sent you; people are just drawn to it even if the recording is not so hot :D

Barry Diament's mastering notes and his recollection of George mastering it are somewhere in the Hoffman forum archives. raunchnroll, cassius and Randy W have mentioned it several times on that board as well. Randy W mentions it in his review on Fremer's old Music Angle website. I had the Classic 45 and 33 which are also both superb and one of my favorite Classic Records rock releases, if not my favorite.
Well, I have the Classic 33 of Couch too, so that's probably where I'll stop on that one. But, if you find a minty pink Straight label US first press of Love it to Death, track me down! :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Well, I have the Classic 33 of Couch too, so that's probably where I'll stop on that one. But, if you find a minty pink Straight label US first press of Love it to Death, track me down! :)

Will do. I never got into Alice Cooper, I gave their albums a few spins when the gold CDs came out and I have a couple on the WB cream label. I will need to explore them a bit more. CSNY is from the old Mofi company. If the current Mofi released it, I would end up adding yet another to the pile, they have been on a roll lately.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Woohoo! I won the eBay auction for the Mofi Deja Vu! :D

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Woohoo! I won the eBay auction for the Mofi Deja Vu! :D

nice grab, I dont think you can go wrong with this pressing. i'll have to verify this, it was heard from an unknown source and passed around as fact that MFSL pressed few of these because they had problems with the stamper...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Received it today and I coudn't be happier. The seller was 100% accurate with his description of the condition...nice! I would say it plays to a NM-/NM. Super quiet, other than a slight crackle on both sides with the lead-in groove. Dead quiet in between each song selection. Hope to give it a proper concentrated listen later in the week as time allows.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing