Sublime Sound

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Excellent! Nothing in audio like destroying a living room for the sake of our aural enjoyment - my wife keeps reminding me of that every week, glad she still keeps me around :D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) After much procrastination, and because of recent nudging from an audio buddy, I removed the three glass framed paintings on the wall of my listening room. One was actually hanging above the small absorption panel at the first reflection point on the right wall.(...)

Looking at your photos it seems they were facing the glass doors of the cupboard on the left side - it looks you were creating an high reflection zone above your speakers.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Looking at your photos it seems they were facing the glass doors of the cupboard on the left side - it looks you were creating an high reflection zone above your speakers.

Yes, those cabinet doors are also a concern. I have to think about that one for a while. I could remove the glass, and fill the shelves with books (or LPs if they fit) but it might look strange and that piece of furniture belonged to my wife's parents. It is all about compromise unless one has the luxury of a dedicated listening room.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . I removed the three glass framed paintings on the wall of my listening room. One was actually hanging above the small absorption panel at the first reflection point on the right wall. I repeated the same string tracks and immediately noticed a cleaner, more focused sound. Dynamics improved, images became more palpable, overall clarity increased. I had been hearing a slight blurring to the sound and distortion in the higher frequencies because of the reflections off of the glass. With the decrease in distortion and the increase in clarity, the music became more energetic while I could be more relaxed. Everything took a step toward sounding more natural. I can now listen a bit louder at more realistic levels, and overall musical enjoyment has increased.

. . .

Good work, Peter. No glass is allowed in the listening room.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

unfortunately I agree.

6 years ago while removing some bass traps from my room I had some window inserts made. I used the THX 458 Quietrock and faced it with the 3/4" finished Maple ply. when i inserted them back 6 years ago i could not really tell the difference. so i left them out and stored them upstairs in my barn attic.

at that time i recall that result was surprising.

in my more recent room tuning efforts about 18-20 months ago now i had already spent 3-4 months treating room surfaces and i again came to the window area. i love(d) my beautiful view of the ridge behind my barn (same as my avatar) from my listening position....on clear mornings i would watch the sun come down the ridge at dawn. this time when i installed those big heavy window inserts it was a wow! the soundstage filled in and dynamics increased. then i covered those inserts with cloth. more detail......and goodbye view forever.:(

lesson learned; you never know what is causing what until you dive into things. the reflective hash had made it almost impossible to hear small things that were wrong. the details were below the noise floor. i had to get it under control enough to hear what the more subtle things were doing. really like peeling layers from an onion.

keep peeling.

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Just curious Peter, are you still covering your fireplace with the blanket?

david

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That is wild, just from the position of a dampening plate on a piece of gear? I have found that 2mm at the speaker for toe-in or 2mm up or down in tonearm height can make a significant difference too, but that is less surprising.

I just received some 'acceptably good looking' polished chrome 5kg weights...and placed them on top of the mass damping set up on top of the transport...something i had done only until i had to move them to the sub to see how much more weight i needed on top of the sub.

NOW, the Transport is back to 'optimal' with 10kg on top of the Stillpoints Ultra 5/Artesania damper which mass damps the top.

meanwhile, the sub now has 105lbs of weight on top of 3 HRS Nimbus Couplers+Artesania dampers which have also made a great improvement (vs only 40lbs and NO Artesania dampers before). Not only is the bass tighter, but a lot of 'minor bass warble' has disappeared which also enables the treble/mids to come thru even more clearly.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Just curious Peter, are you still covering your fireplace with the blanket?

david

Yes. It stays up unless we have guests over. Then the room gets a slight makeover for the public and looks more conventional and less like a middle aged man's obsession to a fringe hobby. My wife just rolls her eyes, quietly smiling. What a great woman.

I do think that as I continue make minor changes to the acoustics of the room, I should revisit past changes, perhaps the blanket, speaker positioning, etc. This stuff is so interdependent.

Why do you ask, David?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
not even an exception for a wine or scotch glass :)?

No glass, unless it is a glass container capable of holding a beverage for human consumption, and which glass is not stored or mounted on a wall or shelf in the listening room when not in use to enable future drinking, is allowed in the listening room.

:)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
No glass, unless it is a glass container capable of holding a beverage for human consumption, and which glass is not stored or mounted on a wall or shelf in the listening room when not in use to enable future drinking, is allowed in the listening room.

Thanks, now I know how to prepare for your and jfrech's future visit. MadFloyd has quite a collection of adult beverages.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Hey Ron...i wonder if Riedel would make a new whisky glass that is both good to drink from AND acts as a diffusor in the room!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
No special reason Peter, it's been a while just wondering if you were still using the blanket or you came up with a different solution for the fireplace, something like what Al is using on his windows or even better a primitive root diffusor. My own experiments with absorption behind the speakers never lasted long with uneven suck out of the materials and change in tonality between the hard and soft surfaces absorption panels become too sonically visible over time. You can even use the fireplace as a large cavity for subs!

david

Yes. It stays up unless we have guests over. Then the room gets a slight makeover for the public and looks more conventional and less like a middle aged man's obsession to a fringe hobby. My wife just rolls her eyes, quietly smiling. What a great woman.

I do think that as I continue make minor changes to the acoustics of the room, I should revisit past changes, perhaps the blanket, speaker positioning, etc. This stuff is so interdependent.

Why do you ask, David?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
No special reason Peter, it's been a while just wondering if you were still using the blanket or you came up with a different solution for the fireplace, something like what Al is using on his windows or even better a primitive root diffusor. My own experiments with absorption behind the speakers never lasted long with uneven suck out of the materials and change in tonality between the hard and soft surfaces absorption panels become too sonically visible over time. You can even use the fireplace as a large cavity for subs!

david

I think it does warrant further attention because the blanket is kind of ugly and I agree there are probably better acoustic solutions available. What do you mean by "a primitive root diffusor"? I have thought about some plugs like the ones Al uses. The idea about a sub in the fireplace is pretty wild, but I would have to come up with an alternative for when we light a fire, as we may do this evening for a cocktail party.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hey Ron...i wonder if Riedel would make a new whisky glass that is both good to drink from AND acts as a diffusor in the room!

Hmmm. They could glue a Sonex panel to the side of a tall decanter or something -- but it would look pretty ugly!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hmmm. They could glue a Sonex panel to the side of a tall decanter or something -- but it would look pretty ugly!

hah...in all seriousness, the crystal of the chandeliers at Lincoln Center was apparently cut with sound dispersion in mind...no idea if this is urban legend, but i think when we took a tour, someone mentioned that.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I would be more moderate. Although I would not place glass in first reflection points, I would not banish it as a damned material in a listening room ...

First we have many different types of glass , some very reflective, some even less reflective than brick or plaster.

Absorption
Glass 125Hz 250Hz 500Hz 1000Hz 2000Hz 4000Hz
Large Panes of Heavy Plate Glass .18 .06 .04 .03 .02 .02
Ordinary Window Glass .35 .25 .18 .12 .07 .04
Plaster – Gypsum, or Lime,
Rough Finish on Lath .14 .10 .06 .05 .04 .03

I have read somewhere that sometimes sealed glass panels also work as bass traps with an high Q, creating dips.

In the particular case of Peter the room he has two flat parallel surfaces, one is a resonating cupboard, something I intuitively disliked.

As usual, position, quality and quantity matters!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Lloyd,
Cylinders are excellent natural diffusers!

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
hah...in all seriousness, the crystal of the chandeliers at Lincoln Center was apparently cut with sound dispersion in mind...no idea if this is urban legend, but i think when we took a tour, someone mentioned that.

Given that Rockefeller was deeply involved in building the Lincoln Centre I can well believe it!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing